2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

Of the 40 starting guards in the past 10 Super Bowls, only four were first-round picks. Nine were undrafted free agents. In fact, exactly half (20) were drafted in the fourth round or later. Even excluding the undrafted guys, the starting guards in the last 10 Super Bowls were drafted an average of 104th overall — a pick that usually is early in the fourth round.

Pretty much echos my sentiment to a T

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Way, way off on the cone and shuttle times. Ray can't bend anywhere near as well as Landry.

I'm not basing this comparison on combine numbers.  You can compare those all you want but they aren't really a good basis of comparing skill levels and on field play.  This is just my opinion based on the play and tape I've seen from both of them in college.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd add Barkley to that, but yes, those would be my 6.

In order, I'd go with: Chubb, Barkley, Davenport, Ward, Edmunds, Nelson.

Yeah Barkley is actually someone I can see them liking.  Blue chip talent.  I'd add him to the mix also.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm not basing this comparison on combine numbers.  You can compare those all you want but they aren't really a good basis of comparing skill levels and on field play.  This is just my opinion based on the play and tape I've seen from both of them in college.

You think they have a similar bend based on tape? Okay then. Ray is stiff.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Yeah Barkley is actually someone I can see them liking.  Blue chip talent.  I'd add him to the mix also.

And rightfully so, tbh. He not only fits the must-be-a-great-athlete bill that Pace seemingly has but he's also a dynamic playmaker- something this offense still lacks- and a true 3 down back. I was at the Iowa/PSU game in Iowa City and that dude is unbelievable. If he's there at 8, I'd take him.

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And rightfully so, tbh. He not only fits the must-be-a-great-athlete bill that Pace seemingly has but he's also a dynamic playmaker- something this offense still lacks- and a true 3 down back. I was at the Iowa/PSU game in Iowa City and that dude is unbelievable. If he's there at 8, I'd take him.

Although unlikely, if he's there and they take him then say bye bye to Howard.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

You think they have a similar bend based on tape? Okay then. Ray is stiff.

It's hard to measure bend.  It's subjective really.  Landry may be better at getting under tackles and turning the corner but other than that I see lots of similarities in their game and the trajectory for their respective NFL careers.

Edited by topwop1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Although unlikely, if he's there and they take him then say bye bye to Howard.

If Barkley is there I'd instantly do a major draft adjustment and take him and then package Howard to try and get another pick somewhere.

Howard good. Barkley great and more versatile (on tape).

7 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

If Barkley is there I'd instantly do a major draft adjustment and take him and then package Howard to try and get another pick somewhere.

While plenty of teams need RB's (Seattle, NYG, Washington, Detroit), I'd look outside the NFC (Oakland, Miami, Baltimore) and see if any of those teams would part with a 3rd or a 4th.

4 hours ago, 51to54 said:

Barkley's never played a down in the league. Trent Richardson was "great" at this stage of the process, too.

A team like the Bears can't afford to trade away Pro Bowl players. 

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Barkley's never played a down in the league. Trent Richardson was "great" at this stage of the process, too.

A team like the Bears can't afford to trade away Pro Bowl players. 

I have to agree...I utterly love Barkley but no way I draft him just to turn round and trade Howard away for a 4th...that would be crazy.

I have been thinking about some outside the box options for the Bears considering Pace routinely surprises us.

Taven Bryan may be the biggest freak in the draft. 

He also is dripping with upside and could come in and play DE in the base and LE or DT in the nickle.

Just now, WindyCity said:

James and Ward are going to be "values" at our spot.

Fitzpatrick too. I think we might look for a bigger nickel back that can play in base downs. Or if you draft Ward, kick him outside and have Fuller be your nickel (tough kid, sticks his nose up there in run support, can blitz, etc... played a funky Linebacker hybrid at VT).

Edited by G08