2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I have been thinking about some outside the box options for the Bears considering Pace routinely surprises us.

Taven Bryan may be the biggest freak in the draft. 

He also is dripping with upside and could come in and play DE in the base and LE or DT in the nickle.

Not a chance at 8.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Why do I have a feeling that it's going to be a corner/defensive back...

Because with only 1 EDGE player (Davenport) being worth it and if Barkley and Chubb are gone, that leaves quite a few DB's that make some sense (James, Fitzpatrick, Ward).

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have to agree...I utterly love Barkley but no way I draft him just to turn round and trade Howard away for a 4th...that would be crazy.

I'm just going to disagree, with no hard feelings. Barkley is a great RB in every facet (unlike Richardson) and a great person. It'd be a wonderful pick imo.

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have been thinking about some outside the box options for the Bears considering Pace routinely surprises us.

Taven Bryan may be the biggest freak in the draft. 

He also is dripping with upside and could come in and play DE in the base and LE or DT in the nickle.

Love Bryan. His character and work ethic are off the charts too.

In nickel he would be able to pair with Hicks, and Goldman and Bullard could rotate in for them to keep Hicks and Goldman from getting so many snaps. RRH and Lynch can rotate at DE in nickel, or come inside on occasion too. Have to like the depth on 3rd downs there if we draft an EDGE as well.

Edited by Sugashane

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm just going to disagree, with no hard feelings. Barkley is a great RB in every facet (unlike Richardson) and a great person. It'd be a wonderful pick imo.

He’s still just a prospect though. A GREAT one, but a prospect nonetheless. All of that said, if we do draft Barkley there is ZEEEEEEEERO reason to trade Howard for peanuts. He makes 5th round pick money for the next two years. There would be plenty of touches to go for both of them. Neither would be winning the rushing title but neither would get ridden into the ground either and we’d have he best RB depth in the league. Think Tiki and Ron Dayne in 2000 with the Giants, only with Howard being a far better runner than Dayne. 

Personally I’m SUPER excited to see what Howard can do as a runner in this offense and specifically against a 7-man box. He was a top 10 runner the past two years running against overloaded boxes. I can’t wait to see him with actual space and in favorable matchups. His value (or lackthereof) in the passing game will be far less a concern if he’s a 1300 yard rusher, which is what I expect of him as a lead back in this scheme. 

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Fitzpatrick too. I think we might look for a bigger nickel back that can play in base downs. Or if you draft Ward, kick him outside and have Fuller be your nickel (tough kid, sticks his nose up there in run support, can blitz, etc... played a funky Linebacker hybrid at VT).

Fitzpatrick is guy with no clear position, though. Wouldn't be at all surprised if James goes before him--and that might well be totally justified. Also, $15 mil/year is a little pricy for a nickel back...

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Not a chance at 8.

It'd have to be after a trade down, but it is interesting to consider a possibility like that...

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s still just a prospect though. A GREAT one, but a prospect nonetheless. All of that said, if we do draft Barkley there is ZEEEEEEEERO reason to trade Howard for peanuts. 

Very good points. There's also little reason to draft Barkley in the first place, as he is just a prospect, as you say. It's most likely moot, as he won't fall to #8, but on the very slight chance he got there, the Bears should then trade that pick...

Edited by Heinz D.

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Fitzpatrick is guy with no clear position, though. Wouldn't be at all surprised if James goes before him--and that might well be totally justified. Also, $15 mil/year is a little pricy or a nickel back...

Just spitballin'... maybe you can use him in a hybrid CB/LB position, or have him be our big nickel, etc etc

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Fitzpatrick is guy with no clear position, though. Wouldn't be at all surprised if James goes before him--and that might well be totally justified. Also, $15 mil/year is a little pricy or a nickel back...

It'd have to be after a trade down, but it is interesting to consider a possibility like that...

Very good points. There's also little reason to draft Barkley in the first place, as he is just a prospect, as you say. It's most likely moot, as he won't fall to #8, but on the very slight chance he got there, the Bears should then trade that pick...

To me Barkley is the apple of the scouts’ eye but less so GMs. Almost like Nelson. He’s an elite prospect at a position frequently receiving elite play from non-top prospects. Howard is a great example. Bell. McCoy. Hunt. David Johnson. Freeman. Murray. All non-1st rounders with huge success. And that’s just the past 2-3 years. That isn’t to say both Barkley and Nelson won’t be drafted highly. They will be. I just think that given the depths at which high level play can be found at the position makes taking a player at that position at the top of the draft less of a priority. To that end I don’t know that the trade up market for Barkley would be as robust at 8 as you might think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

To that end I don’t know that the trade up market for Barkley would be as robust at 8 as you might think. 

It might not be, that's true. If he drops that far though, it probably means two guys on the Bears' radar are gone, so even an okay deal would be worth looking into.

Key is a polarizing guy so it would make sense to get an up close and personal look at him to see how he'd fit within the team culture and to put him through a private workout with Fangio.  

Could be a 2nd round candidate.

How would people feel if the first two rounds of the draft went something like?

Round 1: Ward/Edmunds

Round 2: Key

18 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Barkley's never played a down in the league. Trent Richardson was "great" at this stage of the process, too.

A team like the Bears can't afford to trade away Pro Bowl players. 

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I have to agree...I utterly love Barkley but no way I draft him just to turn round and trade Howard away for a 4th...that would be crazy.

Can't argue much against the bird in the hand versus the 2 in the bush and I've also come to the general NFL consensus that RB is not a top of the first round value pick.

Throw in that I really like Howard.

However, I think Barkley looks like a Zeke type impact player for Dallas and a very high bang for your buck type shot at 8 and would give us another draft pick.

Having said that, the "Richardson" comment drew chills down my spine in  a bad way.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In my world it signifies a man crush

Ah, I would have bet $10 that you were warm.  Shows what I know.

ANyway,  I really like Tanier's writing, and he's got a piece on  Davenport here that is entertaining http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764898-whats-wrong-with-nfl-draft-prospect-marcus-davenport-is-the-wrong-question