7.256- Grant DuBose [WR; Charlotte ]

Packerraymond

He is going to be an easy guy to pull for. Most of us should be able to relate to having to work for every crumb that we get, compared to 5-stars that always had opportunity served on a silver platter. Kudos to this guy getting drafted. 

The Packers' 13th and final draft pick of the weekend might have been the team's most intriguing of all in DuBose, a 6-foot-2, 201-pound receiver who split his college career between Division II Miles College (Ala.) and Charlotte.

Miles was actually DuBose's only scholarship offer coming out of Park Crossing High School in Montgomery. He played one season before the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference cancelled its 2020 football season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

DuBose entered the transfer portal and eventually tried out for Charlotte's football team after a conversation with 49ers quarterback James Foster, a native of Montgomery himself. In two seasons, DuBose caught 126 passes for 1,679 yards and 15 touchdowns.

"During our breaks, we would always link up and go to the field and throw routes and that type of deal and just work," said DuBose of his friendship with Foster. "He was aware of my situation. He always advocates for me on my behalf, and they finally invited me down for a workout. Once I got to Charlotte, it was just a matter of doing what I know how to do."

DuBose put in the work to make it happen, both on and off the field. He did online grocery pickup at Wal-Mart, worked in the commissary at a military base in Montgomery and also was employed at Hyundai Glovis, where he was responsible for dispensing cars to whatever location they were heading.

Now, he's one of 13 rookie draft picks with the opportunity of a lifetime in Green Bay.

"Just trying to keep the dream alive," DuBose said. "I don't really like to think negative. It was always, 'What can I do next? How can I get better?' as I worked toward a dream. I didn't know what opportunity was going to present itself, but I knew I wanted to be ready it did. So, just always trying to find a way to get better and work toward my goal."

• Like 7

Dubose was 4 picks from going undrafted but being pick 256 was probably a nice bonus for Dubose compared to the UDFA route. 

Comparatively the 2 UDFA WR's the Packers signed were Heath who received a 9K signing bonus and Watts who received no bonus at all. (Per Spotrac and OTC)

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Dubose was 4 picks from going undrafted but being pick 256 was probably a nice bonus for Dubose compared to the UDFA route. 

Comparatively the 2 UDFA WR's the Packers signed were Heath who received a 9K signing bonus and Watts who received no bonus at all. (Per Spotrac and OTC)

Depends,

100k+ bonuses were flying around plenty of teams this year, including 350k from the Vikings to Carter.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Depends,

100k+ bonuses were flying around plenty of teams this year, including 350k from the Vikings to Carter.

There is truth in that and maybe he gets one of those, maybe not. There has been reported three UDFA WR's cash in with 100K plus bonuses and Washington gave out two of them out, Mitchell Tinsley got a 135K and Bryce Tremayne got a 100K, the Saints guaranteed 216K of the Shaq Davis contract.

On the flip side the vast majority of the dozens of WR's signed received under 20K, maybe Dubose gets 100K plus or maybe he signs for under 20K. Don't care to debate it one way or the other because no one here know the real answer if a team was hot for him or not. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

There is truth in that and maybe he gets one of those, maybe not. There has been reported three UDFA WR's cash in with 100K plus bonuses and Washington gave out two of them out, Mitchell Tinsley got a 135K and Bryce Tremayne got a 100K, the Saints guaranteed 216K of the Shaq Davis contract.

On the flip side the vast majority of the dozens of WR's signed received under 20K, maybe Dubose gets 100K plus or maybe he signs for under 20K. Don't care to debate it one way or the other because no one here know the real answer if a team was hot for him or not. 

Then perhaps you shouldn't make the definitive comment his route was "better" than the UDFA route. Like Ray said, "it depends".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Then perhaps you shouldn't make the definitive comment his route was "better" than the UDFA route. Like Ray said, "it depends".

There is nothing definitive about my comment, I said 'probably a nice bonus'. It's a major reach to conclude something definitive from such a simple comment. 

Also, I never used the word "better".