2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You’re crazy if you think Maye and McCarthy are elite prospects and Caleb isn’t. Premium Kyler is the best QB in the NFL, lol.

I said McCarthy is an elite project prospect. He comes with the project/raw risk. 

1 minute ago, OldManWillis said:

The times I've watched Caleb, he reminds me exactly of a slightly bigger Kyler. I think we would have issues with his work focus and dedication. His vibe definitely strikes me as the type to quit on a team when things aren't going his way. 

100000000%. His play, but especially his attitude and ethic remind me of Kyler.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

I said McCarthy is an elite project prospect. He comes with the project/raw risk. 

What is elite about McCarthy? His below average measurable’s and above average arm strength? His so so film? Or terrible production? 

He has 0 elite traits he’s a 6’3 190 pound dude with an average arm who looks like a young Alex Smith. 

Gonna go out on a limb here and trade up to #3 for… Marvin Harrison Jr.. 6’4”, 4.3 speed and the son of a HOFer.. #13, #44 and a 2025 1st may be enough but I’d throw in a potential 3rd/4th in either draft if necessary.. Adams, MHJ and Meyers would be a nasty WR trio.. Sign Cousins, shore up OLine in Free Agency and mid to late rounds and add two impact starters on D - CB and DT, whether that be Fuller/Snead and C. Jones/Ravens DT/Wilkins/L. Williams/Reader.. Sign/draft a change of pace back for Zamir unless Jacobs comes back for $6-8 mil..  if the defense plays top 10 to middle of the pack, that offense should score more points and more consistency than we’ve seen recently.  

On 2/18/2024 at 5:37 PM, jimkelly02 said:

as soon as i started seeing Byron Murphy mocked to us at 13 is when i instantly and steadfastly moved into the trade whatever it takes (but negotiate wisely) to move up and get a QB camp.  

i think this will be like most years where we’re picking 1-3 picks outside of the top tier or two of talent and staying where we are is a bad idea.  

Murphy at 13 would be a reach but he would pose good value in the 2nd.  If we stay at 13 the value is at CB or McCarthy if he is available.  

A trade up into the top 3 or 4 would cost at least three 1st's which is basically putting all of your chips on the table as a GM/HC.  You better be confident that the QB you're selecting is a star because if you're wrong it will most likely cost you your job unless you have an all star supporting cast like the 49ers which we clearly do not have.  

There is a very good chance that the 49ers would have won the SB this year if not for the Trey Lance trade that cost them 3 1st round picks.  No one brings that up because they still win but that blunder and not having that influx of young 1st round talent very well could have cost them a ring. 

I would not be opposed to a slight trade up from 13 to 10, which would cost us 13, a 3rd and some change to snag McCarthy.   Odds are there is no way that the top 3 QB's in this class are superstars.  Most likely outcome is one is a star, one average at best and one is a bust or something close to that.  

7 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and trade up to #3 for… Marvin Harrison Jr.. 6’4”, 4.3 speed and the son of a HOFer.. #13, #44 and a 2025 1st may be enough but I’d throw in a potential 3rd/4th in either draft if necessary.. Adams, MHJ and Meyers would be a nasty WR trio.. Sign Cousins, shore up OLine in Free Agency and mid to late rounds and add two impact starters on D - CB and DT, whether that be Fuller/Snead and C. Jones/Ravens DT/Wilkins/L. Williams/Reader.. Sign/draft a change of pace back for Zamir unless Jacobs comes back for $6-8 mil..  if the defense plays top 10 to middle of the pack, that offense should score more points and more consistency than we’ve seen recently.  

We can't afford your mock offseason.  Kirk Cousins, Snead, Chris Jones, just about everyone you listed combined with Kirk Cousins doesn't work.  Kirk Cousins alone is a 40M per season QB.  After that the rest of those FA acquisitions are pipe dreams.

Also, trading away the farm for a WR should never be done.  D. Adams was worth a first and a second.  You're talking about giving up 4 picks (two 1sts) for him.  Crazy.  I would cry like a little fat kid if we traded away so many picks for a WR.  I don't care if he is a future HOF.  The WR position is literally one of the least of our concerns.

7 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Trade for Ayiuk then trade up for MHJ, we will have the greatest receiving core in NFL history, hell go for Stefon Diggs too.

Dogging on McCarthy for not lighting up 2 of the best teams in the nation is weird. 

Very few QBs have what I would consider "great individual performances" in semifinals, national championships, or much less the NFL playoffs. And, frankly, even fewer manage to do it with any semblance of consistency. Video games have spoiled folks. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Trade for Ayiuk then trade up for MHJ, we will have the greatest receiving core in NFL history, hell go for Stefon Diggs too.

I'd trade for Aiyuk in a heartbeat. Dude is a star WR for the next near decade or so. 

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

As much as I like McCarthy, I’d definitely do 3 1sts for Maye if he drops to the pats pick and they wanna trade down 

IMO Maye is the most sure thing for getting a consistently good NFL QB week to week that has longevity in this draft. If he drops to 3 I wouldn't be mad if we traded up for him even if the compensation was huge.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dogging on McCarthy for not lighting up 2 of the best teams in the nation is weird. 

Very few QBs have what I would consider "great individual performances" in semifinals, national championships, or much less the NFL playoffs. And, frankly, even fewer manage to do it with any semblance of consistency. Video games have spoiled folks. 

When has McCarthy ever lit it up against anyone? He's Alex Smith, not a bad thing, just don't see him being a superstar.

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When has McCarthy ever lit it up against anyone? He's Alex Smith, not a bad thing, just don't see him being a superstar.

When did Michigan really need to?

It's a wild card with McCarthy. It's like a RB drafted by Green Bay during prime Rodgers years- they might actually be really good, but Green Bay was so good at passing the ball they never got to show it. We really don't know of he can or can't at this point. 

As for superstars....those are so few and far between It's silly to chase, imo. Alex Smith could've won a few Superbowls as his teams were in the mix most of the time once the 49ers revolving door of trash HCs ended. The Brady and Mahomes effect has skewed the perception of just how difficult itnis to get to one, much less win one. That Smith never got one doesn't make him lesser, imo. Rivers never played in one either and we'd all be glad to have him at QB. You don't seek out superstars, superstars happen. Mahomes, regardless of what anyone says, was not expected to be anywhere near as good as he's been. Rodgers was almost on the chopping block. Brees was alright but got traded. Josh Allen put it all together in a way we almost never see actually accomplished. 

It's totally fine to feel like McCarthy won't be one. But his performances against Alabama and Washington aren't very strong indicators, and not nearly the indictment of him some people are making it out to be. 

• Like 3