2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

meh it wasn't a bad day per say but it definitely didn't answer any questions about whether or not he was a game manager. nothing he did yesterday justifying him being picked on the top 10 which is exactly where I think he'll be picked

I don't like to put too much weight into the combine either way. But for someone that's supposed to have the potential to be one of the best QB's in the NFL I just expect them to make it look effortless. Watch JJ throw the ball and then watch Stroud last year.

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I still can't believe anyone watched him throw yesterday and thought that he had a really good day.

You focusing on the wrong things when looking at what he did yesterday.  I was focused on mechanics, footwork, arm strength and athleticism.  He checked the boxes in those areas and I assure you GM's looking at the big picture will agree on draft day as he goes top 15 in the draft.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You focusing on the wrong things when looking at what he did yesterday.  I was focused on mechanics, footwork, arm strength and athleticism.  He checked the boxes in those areas and I assure you GM's looking at the big picture will agree on draft day as he goes top 15 in the draft.  

Ball placement and being able to hit guys wide open in shorts and a t-shirt isn't important? 

I'm sure he will go in the top 10, I'd also bet that his career trajectory is closer to Alex Smith / Derek Carr than it is a star.

I’m in the boat where if you can’t trade up into the top 3 then stay at 13 and get Fashanu or Latham to lock up the RT. Grab Penix in the second round. 

Allow AOC and Penix to battle it out. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

meh it wasn't a bad day per say but it definitely didn't answer any questions about whether or not he was a game manager. nothing he did yesterday justifying him being picked on the top 10 which is exactly where I think he'll be picked

Is your stance casual fans on here are better NFL talent evaluators than GM's and scouting departments?

I disagree with your assessment and think he checked all the boxes when looking at his performance yesterday and has assured himself of a top 15 pick. 

He allegedly interviewed well, is a student of the game with a passion to win, quite athletic, very good arm, solid mechanics  and footwork etc.  

Does all of that assure that he will be a good NFL QB, it does not however when looking for a prospect to mold he is ideal.  NFL GM's will be thrilled to get their hands on someone who is 20 with the natural tools he possesses.  

Like I have said before if the team that drafts him is stable with their coaches and has patience with him he could turn out to be a very good player in the NFL.  Is that a hard concept to grasp? 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ball placement and being able to hit guys wide open in shorts and a t-shirt isn't important? 

I'm sure he will go in the top 10, I'd also bet that his career trajectory is closer to Alex Smith / Derek Carr than it is a star.

He missed some throws throwing to guys he's never thrown to before, so what?  

Are you claiming he doesn't have the skills to consistently make those throws in the NFL?  I assure you NFL GM's would disagree with you and that will be reinforced on draft day.  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He missed some throws throwing to guys he's never thrown to before, so what?  

Are you claiming he doesn't have the skills to consistently make those throws in the NFL?  I assure you NFL GM's would disagree with you and that will be reinforced on draft day.  

His performance yesterday basically confirmed what he showed at Michigan. He has an above average arm but struggles to throw outside of the numbers to the left side of the field and has spotty deep ball accuracy. I don't think the receivers were the reason his ball placement was erratic. 

It's a guessing game with McCarthy, you're basically having to project a ton with him because he wasn't asked to be a high volume passer at Michigan. 

I've already told you that I think he's going in the top 10, that doesn't mean he's some great player though. 

The "he was throwing to guys he doesn't know" excuse is so lame lol. They all don't know each other and others still do well. Everything JJ struggled with during the season, he struggled with yesterday. It has nothing to do with who he's throwing to. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

Post Combine Mock Draft

13. Quinyon Mitchell | CB | Toledo

44. Michael Penix | QB | Washington

77. Christian Haynes | OG | UConn

116. Cedric Gray | LB | North Carolina

147. Javon Solomon | Edge | Troy

210. Isaac Guerendo | RB | Louisville

221. Julian Pearl | OT | Illinois

225. Khristian Boyd | DL | Northern Iowa

227. Trevor Keegan | OL | Michigan

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

His ball placement on throws to the left side of the field was erratic and he looked like Derek Carr throwing the go routes. On three of them he put way too much on it and the one he completed floated and the receiver had to slow down for it. 

If you want to say he's young and can develop, I get that, but his performance yesterday left a lot to be desired. I'm interested to see if he can clean it up at his pro day. And if we ultimately do decide to take him I'll support him. I just view him as a project that has above average / good traits. 

That’s exactly what he is.

his arm strength is really good though and he’ll just get stronger.

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Post Combine Mock Draft

13. Quinyon Mitchell | CB | Toledo

44. Michael Penix | QB | Washington

77. Christian Haynes | OG | UConn

116. Cedric Gray | LB | North Carolina

147. Javon Solomon | Edge | Troy

210. Isaac Guerendo | RB | Louisville

221. Julian Pearl | OT | Illinois

225. Khristian Boyd | DL | Northern Iowa

227. Trevor Keegan | OL | Michigan

I love Quinyon Mitchell brought him up way before the Combine, nobody responded, I guess people know who he is now.

I also like the idea of Penix but if we go that route, I'd like to see Jacoby Brissete brought in, he has played well everytime he gets opportunities. That would be an ideal QB room. 

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

His performance yesterday basically confirmed what he showed at Michigan. He has an above average arm but struggles to throw outside of the numbers to the left side of the field and has spotty deep ball accuracy. I don't think the receivers were the reason his ball placement was erratic. 

It's a guessing game with McCarthy, you're basically having to project a ton with him because he wasn't asked to be a high volume passer at Michigan. 

I've already told you that I think he's going in the top 10, that doesn't mean he's some great player though. 

What college QB is not a guessing game or a risk?  Was Bryce Young a risk at 1 overall last year or T. Law a few years ago?  T. Law was one of the highest regarded QB's coming out over the last decade and his performance so far as a pro has been average at best. 

I don't think anyone is looking at JJ as a finished product at 20 years old, however all the tools are there for him to be molded into a franchise QB.  Does that actually happen, your guess is as good as mine but all of the tools one looks for are there.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz