2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is nonsense. The sooner he gets into the NFL, the sooner he can start working on his 200+ million dollar payday. 

Going back to school, risking injury because of his rookie wage would be terrible decision. What he looses in NIL, he would easily make up for in endorsements. 

I don't doubt it. Still it's nice to know he wants to play here.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not QB3 by year's end. 

For me, as stated, it's not so much diva vibes as it is a concern about where his priorities are. 

Winning heisman, breaking records, chasing nattys are his priorities son

^^ I really don’t know about that. 

Bears and Panthers are the only two teams that I would say are worse than the Raiders. Jets/Broncos play each other on Sunday. 

In the next two months. The Raiders will play the Bears, Pats, Giants and Jets. 

After that Giants game on November 5th. Hard to find a game they could win the rest of the season. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Bears and Panthers are the only two teams that I would say are worse than the Raiders. Jets/Broncos play each other on Sunday. 

After that Giants game on November 5th. Hard to find a game they could win the rest of the season. 

Vikings 12/10 and Broncos 1/7 both winnable games as of today.

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Destiny bois

It’s a weird list of teams. Mostly big markets or big fanbases rather than a list of good teams or competent franchises.

No idea what the source is here, but I feel like he’ll declare for the draft regardless of what he’s saying now.

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Vikings 12/10 and Broncos 1/7 both winnable games as of today.

It’s actually a generous schedule from here on out.

Which is why, unless the wheels come off, we’ll probably win about 5 or 6 and be nowhere near the top QBs in the draft.

Edited by Nightmare

On 10/1/2023 at 5:27 AM, big_palooka said:

Same. Plays like the one below, everyone gets excited about and I just laugh. He won't have that amount of time in the pros. And his WRs won't be standing that wide open. 

He has faced little pressure thus far in their schedule.

now shows the ones in the pocket. 

On 10/2/2023 at 7:57 AM, NickButera said:

There seems to be an unusual amount of unease over Caleb on this forum. But from what amateur stuff I've seen, the reviews I've watched, and what elite evaluators are unanimously saying about him, he's as cant miss as cant miss can get. 

I've watched most of his games this year, and the guy legitimately plays QB at a high level, he does things like look off safeties routinely, he lets plays develop outside of his eyesight and turns and flicks the ball to a location he knows the WR will be at, etc

I don't think I've ever seen such a highly evaluated QB get criticized here before like this. I'm not sure why. 

I usually don't take stances and am a middle ground grey area person. But in this rare case I'm all on board Caleb Williams train, dude is going to be very good at the NFL level. 

(And for the record, I'm very against divas, I hated Manziel as a prospect for instance, but I don't see that in Caleb.)

its because he paints his nails lol 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:57 AM, ronjon1990 said:

The nail painting is one thing. 

The other, as I stated ad nauseum had you actually read the post, revolves around the fact that, like Kyler, he's openly chasing the money first. He's pretty well established that he'll return to school rather than declare if he doesn't like the draft order. 

https://theathletic.com/4839276/2023/09/06/caleb-williams-nfl-draft-comments-gq/

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38243587/2024-draft-the-moment-decision

He doesn't have to go to the NFL to make money, he can stay at USC and make plenty without the risk of flopping and fading into forgotteness as so many QBs have. And, hey, from a business perspective it's totally understandable and sensible for him. For me, as a fan, and for for a franchise, as a prospective employer, it's fair to question his passion for being a great NFL QB being more important to him than chasing money a'la Kyler Murray.

Talking about returning depending on Draft order because he doesn't need the NFL to make money?  🚩 

Supposedly wanting day 1 equity in the franchise that picks him?  🚩 

Refusing to appear in the new NCAA game because of money even though he wasn't set to be in it? 🚩 

For me, those are red flags because we've seen similar types of situations play out ugly before. You don't have to agree with the assessment, as you didn't have to agree with the assessment that we'd seen McDaniels before and can tell how it would play out. But for me, I question where his priorities are in terms of football. Plenty of guys gush about how much they love the game. Every guy on winning teams in college is gonna have guys gushing about them as teammates. That's not persuasive to me, it's fluff. Not to compare, but Aaron Hernandez was a consummate teammate, Manziel ostensibly lived and breathed football, Sam Darnold was exciting and transcendent, Kyler "loved football more than baseball" (but apparently not Call of Duty), Carson Wentz was the humble and team-oriented kid from D-2, DeShawn Watson wasn't about the money and was the ultimate team player (until it was absolutely about the money and he turned out to be slimeball supreme). 

For me, I prefer the more understated QBs. The flash and hype and pizazz ones just don't do it for me. 

NILs have changed the game, guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag and end up in a terrible situation. Would you want to waste away in Chicago? I dont have a problem with guys setting themselves up for success. Eli did it and hes the least flashy person the laced up a pair of cleats. I get not liking flash QBs, but by all accounts CW isnt a diva or a bad teammate. 

54 minutes ago, Geezy said:

NILs have changed the game, guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag and end up in a terrible situation. Would you want to waste away in Chicago? I dont have a problem with guys setting themselves up for success. Eli did it and hes the least flashy person the laced up a pair of cleats. I get not liking flash QBs, but by all accounts CW isnt a diva or a bad teammate. 

Exactly, it's changed the game. It's not the only thing, and neither is the money. 

The transfer portal and the waivers being granted by the NCAA is creating a whole new dynamic that is going to be a rude awakening in the NFL, where teams aren't going to keep signing mega deals for guys who decide they wanna play LeBron James, Chris Bosch, and Dwayne Wade and force trades (aka: transfers as the college level). Universities aren't sports franchises and aren't going to worry about it. The NFL will. 

Say the Bears hold the pick whether 2023 or 2024 and Williams is selected. Now what? He can't just call his buddies to sign up for the Bears. If he wants out, Chicago has to agree to it, and have little incentive to do so. 

But that's not particularly relevant here, as I've said before it's not Caleb being a potential diva that concerns me. It's exactly what you said that does: "guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag". If their main motive is money, it's not ball, it's money, and we've seen guys chase bags and burn out hard left and right. 

Caleb comes to Las Vegas and gets all the endorsements. Then what? Rest on his laurels? Decide he doesn't need to be great in the NFL because he has endorsements out the wazoo? Gets lazy while other guys stay hungry and passionate and he just never hits that next gear? Decide losing doesn't suit him and affects his brand too much so he quits or forces a trade a'la transfer dream team style?

Don't tell me it won't happen, because I'm m not saying it will. There's no telling how exactly it would go, but it remains an X factor people should be willing to consider when discussing a draft pick.

Every single 1st round bust was once a superstar prospect whose teammates and coaches loved him and talked about him eating, sleeping, and breathing football above all else. Empty words and platitudes, just like Josh McDaniels' press conferences. And very rarely was it an athletic profile issue that derailed someone all the way to bust status. It was passion for the game, or rather a lack thereof when the heat got real. 

Guys who view the NFL as a mechanism to get rich quick have a hard time panning out, and I don't trust that Caleb Williams views it otherwise. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Exactly, it's changed the game. It's not the only thing, and neither is the money. 

The transfer portal and the waivers being granted by the NCAA is creating a whole new dynamic that is going to be a rude awakening in the NFL, where teams aren't going to keep signing mega deals for guys who decide they wanna play LeBron James, Chris Bosch, and Dwayne Wade and force trades (aka: transfers as the college level). Universities aren't sports franchises and aren't going to worry about it. The NFL will. 

Say the Bears hold the pick whether 2023 or 2024 and Williams is selected. Now what? He can't just call his buddies to sign up for the Bears. If he wants out, Chicago has to agree to it, and have little incentive to do so. 

But that's not particularly relevant here, as I've said before it's not Caleb being a potential diva that concerns me. It's exactly what you said that does: "guys are making tons of money in college so theyre not forced to chase the NFL bag". If their main motive is money, it's not ball, it's money, and we've seen guys chase bags and burn out hard left and right. 

Caleb comes to Las Vegas and gets all the endorsements. Then what? Rest on his laurels? Decide he doesn't need to be great in the NFL because he has endorsements out the wazoo? Gets lazy while other guys stay hungry and passionate and he just never hits that next gear? Decide losing doesn't suit him and affects his brand too much so he quits or forces a trade a'la transfer dream team style?

Don't tell me it won't happen, because I'm m not saying it will. There's no telling how exactly it would go, but it remains an X factor people should be willing to consider when discussing a draft pick.

Every single 1st round bust was once a superstar prospect whose teammates and coaches loved him and talked about him eating, sleeping, and breathing football above all else. Empty words and platitudes, just like Josh McDaniels' press conferences. And very rarely was it an athletic profile issue that derailed someone all the way to bust status. It was passion for the game, or rather a lack thereof when the heat got real. 

Guys who view the NFL as a mechanism to get rich quick have a hard time panning out, and I don't trust that Caleb Williams views it otherwise. 

i get it, but hes worth the risk imo. Also, he couldve rested on his laurels after winning the Heisman and making millions but he is playing even better this year. I know NIL isnt NFL money, but dude has done nothing but ball out since hes gotten an opportunity. Cant over think it imo