2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

30 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

So...Caleb is 5th or 6th with him and Nix being a bit of a toss up for me. 

If pressed, draft slot projection aside because we know the actual selections will be a different order, I'd rank these guys based on the likelihood they pan out and make their new fanbase happy:

1. Penix   2. Maye   3. McCarthy   4. Daniels   5. Nix   6. Williams

I like Penix a whole lot too. Just think that Maye has the higher ceiling.

And I am warming up to Daniels. He is a better passer than he was in previous years.

As other posters have pointed out, McCarthy is similar to Ryan Tannehill.

Nix is similar to Derek Carr except Nix is a more willing runner.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who we talking about?

Everyone.  Media and the forum included.  I just haven't seen anyone list C. Williams as the 6th best.  

In terms of talent, I've always seen him in the top 3.  The major concern we have and I'm sure actual teams have is his behavior/attitude/drama.  There's just enough of it for it to be a concern.  I agree that the media always ignores important items such as character.  

But yeah, I literally just responded to @Steins Gate because I wanted to advance the conversation.  I've already stated recently that I'm concerned with C. Williams' attitude as well.  I'm glad we don't have to pick first overall tbh.  If the Bears draft J. Daniels or D. Maye first overall because they have the same concerns then we all know the media is going to put them on blast for the next 3-4 months to 3-4 years.  Especially if whoever they draft doesn't work out and the attitude issues never become an issue at the NFL level.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I could 100% make an argument for Caleb being the 6th best among them. 

If pressed, draft slot projection aside because we know the actual selections will be a different order, I'd rank these guys based on the likelihood they pan out and make their new fanbase happy:

1. Penix

2. Maye

3. McCarthy 

4. Daniels

5. Nix

6. Williams

Lamar ain't an MVP level QB and Caleb Williams is a worse prospect than Penix, McCarthy, and Nix. Pass that to me buddy

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Everyone.  Media and the forum included.  I just haven't seen anyone list C. Williams as the 6th best.  

In terms of talent, I've always seen him in the top 3.  The major concern we have and I'm sure actual teams have is his behavior/attitude/drama.  There's just enough of it for it to be a concern.  I agree that the media always ignores important items such as character.  

But yeah, I literally just responded to @Steins Gate because I wanted to advance the conversation.  I've already stated recently that I'm concerned with C. Williams' attitude as well.  I'm glad we don't have to pick first overall tbh.  If the Bears draft J. Daniels or D. Maye first overall because they have the same concerns then we all know the media is going to put them on blast for the next 3-4 months to 3-4 years.  Especially if whoever they draft doesn't work out and the attitude issues never become an issue at the NFL level.

If I was an NFL owner, I would have no respect for any GM that let's public perception be the deciding factor in determining who my team's draft pick is.

One draft that comes to mind is the 2006 draft when everyone in the media though that Reggie Bush was the best player. Just to illustrate, Reggie was considered to be Barry Sanders with WR skills. The Texans drafted Mario Williams instead because they felt they needed some pass rush to get to Peyton Manning. Well, it turns out that Mario had the better career between the two. Reggie turned out to be a very high paid 3rd down back that didn't get a second contract from the team that drafted him. Mario made 4 probowls.

If I was the Bears, I would try to swap picks with the Commanders. Even if I didn't get decent trade value. Then THEY can live with the perception and I can get an extra draft pick or 2.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I can agree. 

In terms of "what if", Caleb has a ton of it. But man, "what if" is a tough sell when you've got a ton of questions looming. 

I mean, look at some of the guys recently who had little to no character issues before they made it- Zach Wilson, Carson Wentz, etc. Nobody knows for sure. Maye could get to the NFL and go full Ryan Leaf for all we know lol. 

But with Caleb, it really does come down to the attitude. That type hasn't fared well recently, and they all had immense physical talent(s) in some way, shape, or form. He strikes me as arrogant, like he's already "that guy" and doesn't have the desire to improve and just wants his big payday. 

For some, the physical talent gap isn't wide enough to offset the attitude when compared to other guys available. That's how I rank em, at least. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar ain't an MVP level QB and Caleb Williams is a worse prospect than Penix, McCarthy, and Nix. Pass that to me buddy

Lamar isn't an MVP level passer, you are correct, for once. Dude had the weakest MVP campaign of all time, and the fact it didn't go to Stroud or CMC is a travesty worse than Tebow being a 1st round pick.

Otherwise, you're going to have to define prospect. It's too broad a term to use to try and argue anything with you, given your penchant for jumping from one thing to the next. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Lamar isn't an MVP level passer, you are correct, for once. Dude had the weakest MVP campaign of all time, and the fact it didn't go to Stroud or CMC is a travesty worse than Tebow being a 1st round pick.

Otherwise, you're going to have to define prospect. It's too broad a term to use to try and argue anything with you, given your penchant for jumping from one thing to the next. 

Caleb Williams is the best QB prospect in the class by a wide margin. 

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hondo is adamant 4 QBs go prior to #13. He also said he thinks we go OL or D with the first rounder, but want to trade back.

I believe he even said JJ won't be the 4th QB drafted, i.e. one of the big 3 will slide down a spot.

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hondo is adamant 4 QBs go prior to #13. He also said he thinks we go OL or D with the first rounder, but want to trade back.

Seems like he's saying the obvious. NY, Min or Den all can take that 4th qb ahead of us.

Looks like it's Nix or Penix for us which I'm ok with depending on where we take them. 13 is too rich and I'd prefer we go BPA. If they fall to the 2nd, it's a no brainer. 

13 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Seems like he's saying the obvious. NY, Min or Den all can take that 4th qb ahead of us.

Looks like it's Nix or Penix for us which I'm ok with depending on where we take them. 13 is too rich and I'd prefer we go BPA. If they fall to the 2nd, it's a no brainer. 

4 QBs are going top 10 I’d reckon. Minn and Giants to compete for the 4th.

I don’t think the Giants go with Nix or Penix if they miss out - but Denver will go for Nix if he’s there at 12 imo.

I think we’ll have to get ahead of Den if we want Nix and if we don’t go Nix, it will be a big gamble to see if Penix will last long enough for us to take him late first or in the 2nd.

9 minutes ago, reddevil said:

4 QBs are going top 10 I’d reckon. Minn and Giants to compete for the 4th.

I don’t think the Giants go with Nix or Penix if they miss out - but Denver will go for Nix if he’s there at 12 imo.

I think we’ll have to get ahead of Den if we want Nix and if we don’t go Nix, it will be a big gamble to see if Penix will last long enough for us to take him late first or in the 2nd.

It would be a terrible plan and a sure fire way for this administration to piss off a majority of the fanbase right off the bat. If they aren’t aggressive and go get their guy while also end up missing out on Penix the majority of the fanbase will be calling for Telesco at minimums head. 

28 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

It would be a terrible plan and a sure fire way for this administration to piss off a majority of the fanbase right off the bat. If they aren’t aggressive and go get their guy while also end up missing out on Penix the majority of the fanbase will be calling for Telesco at minimums head. 

Struggling to see an easy way to pull it off. You’re right - fans would be pissed, but it’s going to take a substantial amount of luck and some seriously nifty manoeuvring to come out with one of the top guys when we are in the worst position of the QB needy teams.

Let’s just say that Bears and Wash go Caleb and Daniels/Maye. How much more will it take for the Pats, if they have any notion of moving at all to move to 13, instead of 6 or 11? Would they move out of a position to draft a top player?

We’d have to blow the competition out the water. It would be most of our top picks for the next 3 years, possibly one of our best players in there too. And that’s just on the slight chance the Pats don’t want to take a potential franchise QB. 

Next option could be moving up to get JJ ahead of Minn imo. Let’s say they try to get to 5 to get ahead of NY. 11 to 5 will cost. Chargers unlikely to deal with us, so how much to get from 13 to 4? Again, in this demand/supply scenario - this years 2nd/next years first and a few more picks too?

Then it could be a gamble to hope Nix makes it past Den. I don’t think so. Would you trade up in front to secure him? 

Finally, the Penix gamble, hoping he makes it past Seattle/Pitt and into late 1st, early 2nd.

I’m totally on board with trying to move up. I’m in favour of all of the above. And because I feel that the top 3 and JJ options are highly unlikely, I am also in favour of a trade ahead of Den for Nix and would also consider Penix at 13 or after a small trade back. Such is my feeling that the best overall gain for the team will be even a marginal improvement in QB play, where the QB has traits that are clearly higher than Farva/Minshew.