2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

4 QBs are going top 10 I’d reckon. Minn and Giants to compete for the 4th.

I don’t think the Giants go with Nix or Penix if they miss out - but Denver will go for Nix if he’s there at 12 imo.

I think we’ll have to get ahead of Den if we want Nix and if we don’t go Nix, it will be a big gamble to see if Penix will last long enough for us to take him late first or in the 2nd.

I think Penix will fall due to his injury history.

Sucks that teams will be looking to rip us off in a trade knowing that we need to get ahead of Denver and need a QB. I just hope we don't sell the farm. 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:39 PM, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Looks like our 2+3 this year would be plenty for the 49ers pick 31 and maybe a 5th in reture. I'd almost rather part with a pick next year but those are always tricky. 

Walking away with a CB/OT at 13 and Penix in round 2 would be a homerun - CB/OT at 13 and Penix in the late 1st would be solid and a bit more likely. 

I would do that

9 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Struggling to see an easy way to pull it off. You’re right - fans would be pissed, but it’s going to take a substantial amount of luck and some seriously nifty manoeuvring to come out with one of the top guys when we are in the worst position of the QB needy teams.

Let’s just say that Bears and Wash go Caleb and Daniels/Maye. How much more will it take for the Pats, if they have any notion of moving at all to move to 13, instead of 6 or 11? Would they move out of a position to draft a top player?

We’d have to blow the competition out the water. It would be most of our top picks for the next 3 years, possibly one of our best players in there too. And that’s just on the slight chance the Pats don’t want to take a potential franchise QB. 

Next option could be moving up to get JJ ahead of Minn imo. Let’s say they try to get to 5 to get ahead of NY. 11 to 5 will cost. Chargers unlikely to deal with us, so how much to get from 13 to 4? Again, in this demand/supply scenario - this years 2nd/next years first and a few more picks too?

Then it could be a gamble to hope Nix makes it past Den. I don’t think so. Would you trade up in front to secure him? 

Finally, the Penix gamble, hoping he makes it past Seattle/Pitt and into late 1st, early 2nd.

I’m totally on board with trying to move up. I’m in favour of all of the above. And because I feel that the top 3 and JJ options are highly unlikely, I am also in favour of a trade ahead of Den for Nix and would also consider Penix at 13 or after a small trade back. Such is my feeling that the best overall gain for the team will be even a marginal improvement in QB play, where the QB has traits that are clearly higher than Farva/Minshew.

You’re going to have to pay a premium of course, but we have 24 millionish in cap room sitting around not being used and on top of that we are getting that much after June 1st. There will not be a better time for us in the next few years to move up other than now. I’d be fine with Penix at 13 in a worst case scenario, but would prefer a small trade up to ensure we get the person we want. Regardless if we don’t end up with one of the 6 big WRs in this draft, the offseason is veering towards failure. 

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Or just draft Penix at #13.

My thing is I understand what the problem is with doing this but I would actually take Penix at 13 just due to the fact that you know quarterbacks are gonna get overdrafted and it's a dangerous game thinking he's gonna go all the way to the second round. To me the only problem with taking him at 13 is just the fact that this is one of the best offensive tackle drafts I've seen in my lifetime.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing is I understand what the problem is with doing this but I would actually take Penix at 13 just due to the fact that you know quarterbacks are gonna get overdrafted and it's a dangerous game thinking he's gonna go all the way to the second round. To me the only problem with taking him at 13 is just the fact that this is one of the best offensive tackle drafts I've seen in my lifetime.

Agreed. Maybe the Raiders could take Penix at #13 and trade back into the late 1st to get an OT.

Just now, Steins Gate said:

Agreed. Maybe the Raiders could take Penix at #13 and trade back into the late 1st to get an OT.

Right. that's also a possibility. That would be the less dangerous of the two.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hondo is adamant 4 QBs go prior to #13. He also said he thinks we go OL or D with the first rounder, but want to trade back.

Hondo talks a lot. And he talks in vague enough terms that when none of the things he is hinting at actually pan out, he can just deny he ever mentioned them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we do trade up for a QB in the back of the first, Terion Arnold at 13 would be awesome. He is safer than Wiggins, though I think Wiggins has higher upside.

You mean Quiyon Mitchell!

I'm sorry I'm just not giving up the farm for a QB this year unless one falls. That means I'm going #1 CB to solidify the D, if Penix or Nix falls far enough I'll look to trade up, but if Denver, MIN, and even the Jets or Giants start gobbling up QB's then I'm looking real hard at Fields for a 4th and let the battle begin. NT in the 2nd, Sweat, Guard in the 3rd, Bee Bee or Haynes. Munford it's your time at RT assuming he wins the battle against Wagner.

Michael Wiley in the 5th.

Edited by raidr4life

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

We say this every year, and every year we're proven wrong. QBs are more likely to fall based on their pre-draft projections than get overdrafted (see Levis, Willis, Ridder, Lock, Lamar Jackson, DeShone Kizer, Geno Smith, Rodgers, Connor Cook).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

We say this every year, and every year we're proven wrong. QBs are more likely to fall based on their pre-draft projections than get overdrafted (see Levis, Willis, Ridder, Lock, Lamar Jackson, DeShone Kizer, Geno Smith, Rodgers, Connor Cook).

I was going to say something to this effect, because teams are not going to be passing on big time pass rushers and OL to reach for QB's just because they seem desperate.

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

You’re going to have to pay a premium of course, but we have 24 millionish in cap room sitting around not being used and on top of that we are getting that much after June 1st. There will not be a better time for us in the next few years to move up other than now. I’d be fine with Penix at 13 in a worst case scenario, but would prefer a small trade up to ensure we get the person we want. Regardless if we don’t end up with one of the 6 big WRs in this draft, the offseason is veering towards failure. 

Wilkins by himself makes it not a failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we do trade up for a QB in the back of the first, Terion Arnold at 13 would be awesome. He is safer than Wiggins, though I think Wiggins has higher upside.

Quinyon Mitchell >>> Both