2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Please do not speak this into existence. It’s too realistic for my psyche. 

In telling you, it's Brady Hoke. 

With how Mark Davis loves knockoffs, it works. 

He'll say we're hiring a guy with roots in Sam Diego and and Michigan and everyone will get all hyped. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

We'd have to eat $24.2M in dead cap if we cut him or traded him

Keeping him cost the same too. I can see us rolling into the season with the pretense that he's our starter only to conveniently get beat out by whatever first rounder we take. While it sucks to have 24 mil tied up into a backup for a year, it's not unheard of to have a veteran QB who's at the end of his big contract get beat out by the next big thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, NickButera said:

Keeping him cost the same too. I can see us rolling into the season with the pretense that he's our starter only to conveniently get beat out by whatever first rounder we take. While it sucks to have 24 mil tied up into a backup for a year, it's not unheard of to have a veteran QB who's at the end of his big contract get beat out by the next big thing. 

Even though Jimmy's play hasn't been great, I think he'd be a good mentor for a young stud QB. He was open to being in that role with the 49ers. Plus he has a ton of experience around winning in SF/NE, played for some good offensive minds, and spent a lot of time around the GOAT.

To me it’s not all about the QB because most likely the Raiders will miss out on Caleb and Drake. It’s about picking as high as possible so the Raiders can add a blue chip type of player. 

Harrison Jr/Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu would be those type of players outside of the two QBs.

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We'd have to eat $24.2M in dead cap if we cut him or traded him

Ok that’s fine. Let’s call it a sunk cost fallacy and stay with him as a backup to right the wrong and pave way for a young guy. 

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In telling you, it's Brady Hoke. 

With how Mark Davis loves knockoffs, it works. 

He'll say we're hiring a guy with roots in Sam Diego and and Michigan and everyone will get all hyped. 

It will be the Brady Hoke with Tennessee we get knowing our luck. Just all around embarrassing as a franchise right now. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

To me it’s not all about the QB because most likely the Raiders will miss out on Caleb and Drake. It’s about picking as high as possible so the Raiders can add a blue chip type of player. 

Harrison Jr/Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu would be those type of players outside of the two QBs.

That's the unfortunate part about this whole stupid experiment. 

Guys are gonna bail or price themselves out of us- amd we're not gonna have much in thebway of freed up space to start with. 

Just like with Denver there's not going to be much to salvage things with going forward once McIdiot is gone. Everyone looks at the roster now and says "OK but with X QB, we'll be ok". It won't just be a plug and play scenario, we're staring at a full blown rebuild with limited assets and a lack of building block talent to start out with. 

A QB would be nice, but we have to realize we're going to draft a QB to a bad overall roster. There's no quick cure for the malignancy Josh and Dave have brought upon us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's the unfortunate part about this whole stupid experiment. 

Guys are gonna bail or price themselves out of us- amd we're not gonna have much in thebway of freed up space to start with. 

Just like with Denver there's not going to be much to salvage things with going forward once McIdiot is gone. Everyone looks at the roster now and says "OK but with X QB, we'll be ok". It won't just be a plug and play scenario, we're staring at a full blown rebuild with limited assets and a lack of building block talent to start out with. 

A QB would be nice, but we have to realize we're going to draft a QB to a bad overall roster. There's no quick cure for the malignancy Josh and Dave have brought upon us. 

I don't think that the roster is that bad - there is potential, but the current coaching team is just not able to unleash it on both defense and offense.
sure there are also major holes, but give me a QB, an OL and an IDL and you have a roster to work with.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't think that the roster is that bad - there is potential, but the current coaching team is just not able to unleash it on both defense and offense.
sure there are also major holes, but give me a QB, an OL and an IDL and you have a roster to work with.

Oh yeah the roster as it is right now isn't bad. But not everyone is coming back, either. 

I'm going to genuinely be surprised if Adams doesn't force himself out. 

Renfrow is practically assured to be gone. 

Jacobs is already 1 foot out the door. 

Has Zamir White done anything worth a 2nd contract? 

Abdullah won't be back with a new regime. 

Meyers and Tucker are worth keeping, but neither is going to be a surefire top of the roster type WR. 

That's just on offense. 

At best, we need starting C, RG, RT, RB, QB, and at least 1 WR for next year. That's 6 starters and only on the side of the ball we've sunk dumb levels of money into. I'm too lazy see who has expiring deals or could be cap casualties right now- but our lineup and depth are going to almost assuredly look much different. We've gone from seeking a complimentary piece or two to go over the top to needing several starters to build up the base again. Unfortunately, the roster outside of QB isn't static. 

On 10/22/2023 at 2:38 AM, ronjon1990 said:

I'd love Penix. 

He's my personal 1a. 

I know other QBs are going to go before him, but I personally like him the most, followed by McCarthy, Leonard, and Prattas QBs we should aim for. 

If not for the injury history, I think Penix would possibly overtake 1.1 this year when all was said and done. He won't get that level of hype, I know, but I think the talent is 100% there. 

I'll say this, I want zilch to do with Caleb Williams. He's Zach Wilson with a USC helmet. Dude is gonna bust hard in the NFL. That's crow I'm willing to risk eating. 

I typically agree with you on QB assessment, but not seeing it with Penix. He's a day 2 guy all day every day for me. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I typically agree with you on QB assessment, but not seeing it with Penix. He's a day 2 guy all day every day for me. 

Meh, like I said, I know he'll ultimately be drafted 4th or 5th QB off the board. 

His knees are a concern. He'll be a 24 year old rookie. There's reason he's not QB1 for a lot of people. He's not entirely unlike Hendon Hooker in terms of love him or hate him, ino. 

The only criticisms of his I won't listen to regard the quality of his WRs. That wasn't held against any Bama or Ohio St QBs lately. He was seen as a bit of a rising star even at Indiana, too, so he's not exactly the prospect that only exists because of his supporting cast. 

I'd be happy getting him day 2 lol

• Like 1

JJ has been really good this year. Hasn’t been the greatest schedule for Michigan. Those two games against Penn State and Ohio State who both offer a top tier defense will be important for JJ

He had this one pass against Mich State on Saturday that was an absolute DOT. 

Edited by agarcia34