2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I think it is a near lock that Champ Kelly will be the GM. Highly regarded around the NFL, could land a GM job anyway

We have to retain Patrick Graham. This is the best defense we had in almost 20 years. Can’t let him out the door. Honestly, I think AP biggest competition might be PG for head coach.

Remember, every great coach has to coach their 1st game. Every great OC has to call their 1st game. 

Also, AOC4 is in the drivers seat to open 2024 as the starter

Hell no, Graham is still iffy as hell. Defense looked good against a QB I never heard of this Sunday. Let’s see how the season plays out. Wasn’t Bailey on the bears when they were complete trash. 

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

DT Jer'Zhan Newton is someone to keep an eye on. Would be a huge addition in the middle of the defense. Has elite hands. Very fun player to watch 

That's who I really want. Which is why if O'Connell plays us out of a top 3 qb, I think we should wait on a qb and draft that guy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's who I really want. Which is why if O'Connell plays us out of a top 3 qb, I think we should wait on a qb and draft that guy

Newton would be an excellent consolation prize, but every year that you roll with a non-franchise guy is basically a wasted season at this point in the AFC, imo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Agreed. We can take advantage of needy QB teams over drafting players and land a player who would normally go higher than our selection 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I know people are not huge Penix fans, but in the 2nd round he would be great value. He definitely has good down the field accuracy and touch. 

I like the idea of drafting a mid round QB to either compete or Backup Aidan next season 

This could give us a low cost QB options which will allow us to further plug holes on the roster. We could use a true #1 corner and a Thumper tackle machine at MLB. Then draft Newton at DT in the 1st round if available 

34 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I like the idea of drafting a mid round QB to either compete or Backup Aidan next season 

This could give us a low cost QB options which will allow us to further plug holes on the roster. We could use a true #1 corner and a Thumper tackle machine at MLB. Then draft Newton at DT in the 1st round if available 

100%.

If we can get just competent QB play, we're ok. Good QB play, we're looking very good, especially with some holes plugged up. 

By 2025, if we still absolutely need a star QB, take some 2026 assets and players and make it happen. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I know people are not huge Penix fans, but in the 2nd round he would be great value. He definitely has good down the field accuracy and touch. 

Define great value? Because in my mind, unless a QB can elevate the team out of the middle, I have a hard time getting behind it. I'd rather take a shot at a legit franchise game changer and strike out then a value QB that keeps the team on the outside looking in ala the Carr years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Define great value? Because in my mind, unless a QB can elevate the team out of the middle, I have a hard time getting behind it. I'd rather take a shot at a legit franchise game changer and strike out then a value QB that keeps the team on the outside looking in ala the Carr years. 

Agreed. Give me a high upside QB that can potentially reach the Burrow, Allen, Mahomes tier

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Which is fair. 

That said, aside from Maye and Williams, are we even absolutely sure of who the other 1st round QBs are? I mean, we've all made projections for guys, but it's far from a certain or even consensus at this point. 

Say, for example, none of Nix, McCarthy, Daniels, Penix, or Ewers wind up actually getting much 1st round hype. We can bet that at least 2 of them would get over-drafted by someone reaching. That leaves at least 3 by our 2nd round pick (exact spot TBD). 

If a stud at a different position is available in round 1, I'm not opposed to it depending on how the rankings break down. There's  lot of QBs this year that could be worthb1st rounders who simply won't be drafted in round 1 for a variety of reasons. 

I wouldn't wait beyond round 2 though, for sure. But I think that's where people are saying there's potential value- depending on the order of picks and the board. For now, unless someone is just 100% set on giving up assets to move up for Williams or Maye, we really just have no real clue what we may or may not need to do to land a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Which is fair. 

That said, aside from Maye and Williams, are we even absolutely sure of who the other 1st round QBs are? I mean, we've all made projections for guys, but it's far from a certain or even consensus at this point. 

Say, for example, none of Nix, McCarthy, Daniels, Penix, or Ewers wind up actually getting much 1st round hype. We can bet that at least 2 of them would get over-drafted by someone reaching. That leaves at least 3 by our 2nd round pick (exact spot TBD). 

If a stud at a different position is available in round 1, I'm not opposed to it depending on how the rankings break down. There's  lot of QBs this year that could be worthb1st rounders who simply won't be drafted in round 1 for a variety of reasons. 

I wouldn't wait beyond round 2 though, for sure. But I think that's where people are saying there's potential value- depending on the order of picks and the board. For now, unless someone is just 100% set on giving up assets to move up for Williams or Maye, we really just have no real clue what we may or may not need to do to land a franchise QB. 

I'm assuming Ewers returns to school.

Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Penix go in the first

Nix, Daniels go in the 2nd.