2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

At this point I'd be happy with Williams, Maye, McCarthy, or Daniels. This is the year to go get a QB.

I agree this is the year, but I am not there with McCarthy. If he had Richardson-like traits I might buy the upside argument, but I think his traits are mostly average or above average. Plus he has a lot of question marks considering how low volume of a passer he is and how un-NFL-like his situation is at Michigan. And, it's not like his film is pristine. He definitely has some development to do to reach his potential.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

yup. id also be completely fine and pulling a washington and doubling down if someone fell into the 3rd or 4th, though with so many qb needy teams i dont see it happening. 

It could make sense although I think you're basically punting on AOC if you draft two QB's this year. There won't be enough reps to go around for three guys, IMO. And it'd be pretty risky to go into next year with just 2 rookies or 2 rookies and AOC, unless the plan is to sign a veteran and draft two while getting rid of AOC.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I agree this is the year, but I am not there with McCarthy. If he had Richardson-like traits I might buy the upside argument, but I think his traits are mostly average or above average. Plus he has a lot of question marks considering how low volume of a passer he is and how un-NFL-like his situation is at Michigan. And, it's not like his film is pristine. He definitely has some development to do to reach his potential.

I want to see if Joe Milton tests as well as people are saying he will, he might be the biggest riser in the QB class and is definitely the most similar to AR15 of any prospect this year. Big dude, huge arm, athletic, but only a one year starter with questionable mechanics and accuracy.

I think McCarthy has above average arm strength and mobility, I've seen him compared to a more mobile Kirk Cousins, I think that's pretty fair.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It could make sense although I think you're basically punting on AOC if you draft two QB's this year. There won't be enough reps to go around for three guys, IMO. And it'd be pretty risky to go into next year with just 2 rookies or 2 rookies and AOC, unless the plan is to sign a veteran and draft two while getting rid of AOC.

yea fair enough, good point. 
i hate that AOC is already 25, but he is showing he is at least a good backup so no need. 

just until we find our for sure guy, i want to keep throwing darts, but as you said the guys also need reps. 

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I want to see if Joe Milton tests as well as people are saying he will, he might be the biggest riser in the QB class and is definitely the most similar to AR15 of any prospect this year. Big dude, huge arm, athletic, but only a one year starter with questionable mechanics and accuracy.

I think McCarthy has above average arm strength and mobility, I've seen him compared to a more mobile Kirk Cousins, I think that's pretty fair.

I have not watched Milton, but I would be curious to see if he has some of the innate QB-ing skills that Richardson had.

The problem I have with McCarthy (among others) is he is not a snappy athlete. Cousins is able to snap into position to take a hit and make a throw or quickly slide to avoid a rush. McCarthy's movements are slower, despite him being a better overall athlete. It's a similar issue I had with Fields. This is a big trait I look for in QBs.

I also do not see the "big arm" that some media scouts claim he has. I've upgraded him to having an NFL-average arm after seeing last year's TCU game, but he's definitely a tier below guys like Herbert and Murray (who themselves are a tier below Allen and Mahomes).

29 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's not athletic as lamar IMHO. He's also a 5 year starter and 23 so he's had much more time than McCarthy to develop.

McCarthy can develop for a decade and will never be as athletic as Daniels. I also think Daniels has a noticeably better arm.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Richardson was an elite prospect because he was a freak with his low 4.4 speed with his cannon, and size…. Milton has the size and cannon but doesn’t have that elite scrambling ability. He only runs a 4.8. For a raw passer, being able to make plays with your feet is huge. 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Richardson was an elite prospect because he was a freak with his low 4.4 speed with his cannon, and size…. Milton has the size and cannon but doesn’t have that elite scrambling ability. He only runs a 4.8. For a raw passer, being able to make plays with your feet is huge. 

Milton is going to run well

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. I think Lamar has around a league-average arm.

3 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Lamar Jackson is known for a lot of things but I’ve never heard anyone posit that he has crazy arm talent. I would slot him in as above average. 

Lamar has one of the strongest arms in the league. It’s not Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes, but pretty strong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Really, I've always thought he had a pretty damn good arm just wasn't super accurate.

I've been under the same impression...

I thought the whole thing was that he could absolutely chuck the ball, just that the chances of it going roughly 45° off target and straight into the stands was like 55-45 lol. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I've been under the same impression...

I thought the whole thing was that he could absolutely chuck the ball, just that the chances of it going roughly 45° off target and straight into the stands was like 55-45 lol. 

What do you think about Daniels?