2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Dillon would have put that game away at 48-16 rattling off 4 yards at a time between the guards

More like 3.16 yards at a time like he had been averaging over his last 6 games and 75 carries.   2.97ypc if you take away a single 17 yard run vs KC.    Would have been really close to a 1st down after his 3 carries

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

More like 3.16 yards at a time like he had been averaging over his last 6 games and 75 carries.   2.97ypc if you take away a single 17 yard run vs KC.    Would have been really close to a 1st down after his 3 carries

That was without jones. The cowboys had 6 men in the box all night. He would have been eating. 

3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

That was without jones. The cowboys had 6 men in the box all night. He would have been eating. 

With Dillon in (with Jones out) they could have moved another out and still watched him rumble for 3.

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

With Dillon in (with Jones out) they could have moved another out and still watched him rumble for 3.

Agree to disagree. I think if dillon was coming in as a spell he would have had a little extra pop against a dline that was not fresh.

We will never know. Hopefully he plays this week. 

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Agree to disagree. I think if dillon was coming in as a spell he would have had a little extra pop against a dline that was not fresh.

We will never know. Hopefully he plays this week. 

I will agree to agree to disagree.      Wish I felt differently because I really like the guy and his embrace of WI life.   Seems a good man.     I hope he doesn't play though - that 49ers team could tee off knowing at worst they might give up a 7 yard run

4 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I will agree to agree to disagree.      Wish I felt differently because I really like the guy and his embrace of WI life.   Seems a good man.     I hope he doesn't play though - that 49ers team could tee off knowing at worst they might give up a 7 yard run

And using your same analysis, is 2.96 ypc better or worse than wilsons 2.5ypc?

23 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

And using your same analysis, is 2.96 ypc better or worse than wilsons 2.5ypc?

Well, if we are going to run with small sample sizes - he averaged 4.77 yards on his 22 total carries over 6 games played this season so that seems better than Dillon's 3.16 over his last 6.      Wilson at least gives a threat of a long gain - Dillon does not.   I'd rather run the untested colt and see how they do than throw a Clydesdale into the race.   Wouldn't even agree Dillon runs with the power of a Clydesdale like his quads would suggest

33 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Well, if we are going to run with small sample sizes - he averaged 4.77 yards on his 22 total carries over 6 games played this season so that seems better than Dillon's 3.16 over his last 6.      Wilson at least gives a threat of a long gain - Dillon does not.   I'd rather run the untested colt and see how they do than throw a Clydesdale into the race.   Wouldn't even agree Dillon runs with the power of a Clydesdale like his quads would suggest

Fair enough on the threat of a long run, i do agree wilsons more likely to go for 10+. I just dont think thats rb#2s role. 

Pass protect, chip and run routes, be trusted get the tough yards that are in front of you, dont fumble. 

you could see love explaining pass pro to Wilson against dallas presnap. Its just not his time yet.

Wilson fumbled once on 26 touches, dillon 0 times on 200 touches. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Will need to wait for the Combine, but if Jonah Elliss can show he's an athlete, that guy is Clay Matthews on tape.

Only if he has the long, flowing blond hair! Otherwise, it's a pass. 😂

One guy that always seems to be available when the Packers pick (currently at #25) is DL Jer'Zhan Newton.

Here is part of a blurb about him from Draft Buzz.

Demonstrates the flexibility to play on the edge, indicating a broad skill set beyond typical interior line duties.
Exceptional leverage, using his size and technique to gain upper hand in the trenches.
Armed with an array of countermoves, he's not just a power player but a strategic rusher with a diverse skill set.

Newton shines in his pass-rushing role, where his quick hands and diverse skill set come into play. He's adept at using a variety of techniques to get past blockers, combining agility with elite flexibility for a player of his size. This makes him a consistent threat in the backfield and an outstanding interior rusher.

He is not tall (6'2", 295) but then Mike Daniels wasn't tall either and was very effective. I do like how good Newton's hand use is.

He is not playing a position in urgent need of upgrading, but he does seem like a good value pick if he is there, as he so often is in mocks. Most mock sites have him ranked between pick 9 and 16 (round 1), so he would look like good value at #25......

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:22 PM, Packerraymond said:

Anyone left in the draft pick crowd is a fan of the NFL Draft and not a football team.

Sometimes it's fun to have an early draft pick.  But the Packers' pick will either be 25, 29, 31, or 32.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:02 PM, pgwingman said:

It seems like we've played our way into Jordan Morgan, Troy Fautanu, or Graham Barton, who all played LT in college but allegedly project better inside. So that's kind of a yes and no to your question.

If Mims is on the board when the Packers pick, I'd be hard pressed to pass on him.

• Like 1