2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think WR should bump up in the draft because of Watson's injury. I think it should be there anyway. Watson, Doubs, Reed and Wicks look good, but you have to know guys are going to miss games. One more dude and we would be absolutely stacked at the position.

Also, we are only 2 years removed from deciding to extend or let either or both of Watson and Doubs walk in free agency. 

Naw, we are two years removed from deciding on the 2018 draft class.  The JA draft class.

We are two years away from deciding on the 2022 class.

But I get what you are saying.

Right now, neither Doubs nor Watson has done enough for us to worry about this too much.  Hopefully that changes.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Naw, we are two years removed from deciding on the 2018 draft class.  The JA draft class.

We are two years away from deciding on the 2022 class.

But I get what you are saying.

Right now, neither Doubs nor Watson has done enough for us to worry about this too much.  Hopefully that changes.

My comment was based on draft day 2024. So, we would in fact, be two years away from decisions on Doubs and Watson. 

Also, right now at comparative points in their career, Doubs looks better than Davante. That is not hyperbole either. Not saying Doubs turns into him, but through 3 games in his second year it accurate. 

• Like 1

For me, WR, OL, DL, DB especially, you just kinda want to keep adding them.

As far as actual needs, S definitely jumps out. 

RB doesn't need to be a high pick but given the roster and contracts, it's time to add to the room. I wouldn't hate it for a guy like McCaffrey or Robinson who can move out wide too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

For me, WR, OL, DL, DB especially, you just kinda want to keep adding them.

As far as actual needs, S definitely jumps out. 

RB doesn't need to be a high pick but given the roster and contracts, it's time to add to the room. I wouldn't hate it for a guy like McCaffrey or Robinson who can move out wide too.

Definitely! Many on the board were very high on Brian Branch, I was not one of them, wrong again. He really looks the part in Detroit. Not sure which one of our picks I would have exchanged for him though. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I think this is going to be a pretty widely held opinion going into the draft so I just want to get ahead of the inevitable. 

At least one person in this thread will pine for Will Shipley because he reminds them of CMC.

Market down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Definitely! Many on the board were very high on Brian Branch, I was not one of them, wrong again. He really looks the part in Detroit. Not sure which one of our picks I would have exchanged for him though. 

Branch is not a safety, he's a nickel. That was why most were sour on him, much higher potential where Detroit is playing him. 

My comment was based on draft day 2024. So, we would in fact, be two years away from decisions on Doubs and Watson. 

Also, right now at comparative points in their career, Doubs looks better than Davante. That is not hyperbole either. Not saying Doubs turns into him, but through 3 games in his second year it accurate. 

Yes, we are two years AWAY from making those decisions.  Not two years REMOVED from making that decision.

What does years removed mean?

"one-year removed" is correct and usable in written English. It typically means "one year after" or "one year ago". Here is an example sentence: "He graduated one-year removed with honors.". similar ( 55 ) Justice is one year removed from a strong season; Ventura is two.

Why do you think he looks better?  'Vante had Prime Jordy and Prime Cobb in front of him.

Doubs has had no one in front of him.  

Gimme Doubs on a middle type deal like "Vante got and I'm a happy man.  Gimme Watson on that deal, too.  Neither one looks like Jefferson, Chase, Waddle....etc.  At least not yet.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why do you think he looks better?  'Vante had Prime Jordy and Prime Cobb in front of him.

Gimme Doubs on a middle type deal like "Vante got and I'm a happy man.  Gimme Watson on that deal, too.  Neither one looks like Jefferson, Chase, Waddle....etc.  At least not yet.

Davante couldn't catch a cold year two. He had a major drops issue. They both have very good hops though. 

Again, I'm not suggesting he's going to be Davante or close to it. I'm just saying many, many Packer fans had Davante as a bust after year two and wanted to jettison him down the road. 

See for yourself. Doubs already has more TD passes in his first two years compared to Adams. 

Romeo Doubs Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

Davante Adams Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Davante looked horrible his 2nd year. If memory serves me correctly, he was fighting an ankle injury that affected his focus. It wasn't an uncommon sentiment around these parts that he was a bust and calling for his release. His career turn around is one of the most impressive I've seen.

Agreed with Old Man, Doubs looks significantly better than Davante at this stage in their careers. Doesn't mean he's gonna turn into Davante but I think Doubs has a few pro bowls in his future.

Edited by Mdpackfan22

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Davante looked horrible his 2nd year. If memory serves me correctly, he was fighting an ankle injury that affected his focus. It was an uncommon sentiment around these parts that he was a bust and calling for his release. His career turn around is one of the most impressive I've seen.

That was an atrocious year passing-wise. That was the year we lost Jordy in the pre-season and defenses officially went to the two-deep shell and went F*CK YOU to the rest of the cast who couldn't stretch them out.

Just restating the obvious.  Doubs has no one in front of him.  'Vante had two excellent starters in front of him.

People talk about drops.  I don't remember many "bad" drops from 'Vante.  I do remember him not completing back shoulder catches that were not easy.  Rodgers threw him a ton of those.  He always showed the jumping ability, but rarely did he complete the catch.

Doubs, in my view, looks very good.  And I think he's limited by a hammy right now.  He's made two of those back shoulder catches for TD's where he's looked very, very good.

If Doubs can get to 997 yards receiving in his third year, I'll be very, very happy.

He's on pace for 731 this year.

Looking it up now.  

Vante had 5 drops as a rookie.  7 as a second year player.

Doubs  had 9 drops as a rookie.  0 so far this year.

All per PFF.

Vante had 169 targets as a rookie.  Drop % of 3.

127 targets as a second year player.  Drop % of 5.5.

Doubs has a drop % of 13.4 as a rookie.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Just restating the obvious.  Doubs has no one in front of him.  'Vante had two excellent starters in front of him.

People talk about drops.  I don't remember many "bad" drops from 'Vante.  I do remember him not completing back shoulder catches that were not easy.  Rodgers threw him a ton of those.  He always showed the jumping ability, but rarely did he complete the catch.

Doubs, in my view, looks very good.  And I think he's limited by a hammy right now.  He's made two of those back shoulder catches for TD's where he's looked very, very good.

If Doubs can get to 997 yards receiving in his third year, I'll be very, very happy.

He's on pace for 731 this year.

That could go either way. By having 2 excellent starters in front of him, he should excel with defense giving more attention to Jordy and Cobb. Also that was with Aaron Rodgers in the middle of his prime. Doubs is doing this with the opponents best corner on him with Love in his first year starting. The back shoulder TD catch, toe dragging sideline catches and diving sideline out catch are all more impressive tape than anything Davante was showing his 2nd year. 

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Branch is not a safety, he's a nickel. That was why most were sour on him, much higher potential where Detroit is playing him. 

Yeah I'm looking for deep ball coverage safeties not lb/ss hybrids or slot hybrids. They can have value but the glaring hole is the back end.