2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

With Watson's injury issues, WR has jumped up my draft needs.

1. OL

2. CB/S

3. RB

4. WR

5. DL

I still wanna see OL or DL round 1. Either take a combo of WR, RB, or DB round 2. Whichever way the board falls.

Really hope we start drafting some maulers in the run game. It's a night and day difference watching the 49ers run block and our OL run block. We're never gonna be successful in January until we start beating up the opposing DL in the run game.

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

I think that "Drafting a WR high" is more likely now that Love is the QB than it was with Rodgers.  Chemistry is important between QBs and WRs and it's hard to develop chemistry between a 38 year old QB and a 22 year old WR than it is for a 25 year old QB and a 21 year old WR.

Like the biggest age gap between a WR who excelled with Rodgers and Rodgers was Davante who was some 7 years Rodgers' junior, but that took some time (remember when everybody wanted to cut Davante in year 2?)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think that "Drafting a WR high" is more likely now that Love is the QB than it was with Rodgers.  Chemistry is important between QBs and WRs and it's hard to develop chemistry between a 38 year old QB and a 22 year old WR than it is for a 25 year old QB and a 21 year old WR.

Like the biggest age gap between a WR who excelled with Rodgers and Rodgers was Davante who was some 7 years Rodgers' junior, but that took some time (remember when everybody wanted to cut Davante in year 2?)

Rome Odunze or Keon Coleman with the Jets pick is a real possiblity.

• Like 1

Unless Watson misses a big chunk of the season, I seriously doubt WR is very high on Gute's priority list right now.  If they can stay healthy, Love will be more than fine with Watson, Doubs and Reed as the top 3 WR's for the next few years, especially with Musgrave at TE.  I don't see WR as a draft day priority until these rookie contracts expire and there isn't enough cap space to bring them all back.  Similar to what is happening with Higgens in CIN.

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless Watson misses a big chunk of the season, I seriously doubt WR is very high on Gute's priority list right now.  If they can stay healthy, Love will be more than fine with Watson, Doubs and Reed as the top 3 WR's for the next few years, especially with Musgrave at TE.  I don't see WR as a draft day priority until these rookie contracts expire and there isn't enough cap space to bring them all back.  Similar to what is happening with Higgens in CIN.

I do agree with you.  But....I'm still looking at WR's for Love.  At every round.  Take one when it makes sense.

For priorities though?  Gimme a tackle, corner, safety and RB over WR.  Speaking in terms of need.  And corner may be lower on the list, if Stokes shows that he can still play and if Valentine progresses, both of which are possibilities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I do agree with you.  But....I'm still looking at WR's for Love.  At every round.  Take one when it makes sense.

For priorities though?  Gimme a tackle, corner, safety and RB over WR.  Speaking in terms of need.  And corner may be lower on the list, if Stokes shows that he can still play and if Valentine progresses, both of which are possibilities.

I kinda forgot about Stokes. Is there a limit to how long he can be on PUP?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I kinda forgot about Stokes. Is there a limit to how long he can be on PUP?

I was told there would be no math.

Once a player is placed on the reserve/PUP list, he must miss at least the first four games of the season. He will not count against his team's 53-man roster during this time. After the player's four-game absence, his team receives a five-week window to allow the player to begin practicing.Aug 31, 2023

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

While I like all three, neither of them look like a true #1 WR to me. They all fight to get open. 

22 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

With Watson's injury issues, WR has jumped up my draft needs.

1. OL

2. CB/S

3. RB

4. WR

5. DL

I still wanna see OL or DL round 1. Either take a combo of WR, RB, or DB round 2. Whichever way the board falls.

Really hope we start drafting some maulers in the run game. It's a night and day difference watching the 49ers run block and our OL run block. We're never gonna be successful in January until we start beating up the opposing DL in the run game.

I don't think WR should bump up in the draft because of Watson's injury. I think it should be there anyway. Watson, Doubs, Reed and Wicks look good, but you have to know guys are going to miss games. One more dude and we would be absolutely stacked at the position.

Also, we are only 2 years removed from deciding to extend or let either or both of Watson and Doubs walk in free agency.