2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, Sandy said:

It's obviously super early, but I keep thinking that based on our needs and likely available players, I'd trade out of rd 1 and go into day 2 with 6 picks in the chamber.

That is a trade that can be justified to some degree as there may well be a team who wants pick 25 for one of the 2nd tier QBs (McCarthy, Nix, Penix). Trading back to an early round 2 pick is the trade I most often make for the extra 2nd and 3rd picks...............which allows for you to get (depending on how the draft falls) S, C/G RB, CB, slot CB, ILB, all on day 2.

Although it isn't the best year for them, I would like an edge guy somewhere. Also, in place of one of the 6 picks above, a good D lineman like Byron Murphy II or Ohorhoro, is attractive.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sandy said:

It's obviously super early, but I keep thinking that based on our needs and likely available players, I'd trade out of rd 1 and go into day 2 with 6 picks in the chamber.

If gutey could have like 3 2nd round picks in 2024 with the quality of say Reed, Musgrave, Elgton, and hopefully healthy Watson. Plus some more picks to get mid round guys like Tom, Kraft, Enegbare etc. Whew

6763eab9-0d70-4912-bfce-88b85c6b18bb_tex

(Mentioning those picks did make me realize how good he is at drafting offense)

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

If gutey could have like 3 2nd round picks in 2024 with the quality of day Reed, Musgrave, Elgton, and hopefully healthy Watson. Plus some more picks to get mid round guys like Tom, Kraft, Enegbare etc. Whew

6763eab9-0d70-4912-bfce-88b85c6b18bb_tex

(Mentioning those picks did make me realize how good he is at drafting offense)

Is he good at drafting offense or are our offensive coaches better at developing talent than our defensive coaches?

This just makes me wonder which receivers and tight ends have completely different careers if we didn’t have Rodgers.

Of all my theories that even I’m not sure I believe, that’s the one I absolutely 100% believe.

Rodgers just picked and chose players to 100% give up on and never ever look their way.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MacReady said:

This just makes me wonder which receivers and tight ends have completely different careers if we didn’t have Rodgers.

Of all my theories that even I’m not sure I believe, that’s the one I absolutely 100% believe.

Rodgers just picked and chose players to 100% give up on and never ever look their way.

I’m in your club on this one. I don’t know if Amari would have become anything, but I do know that Rodgers psychologically tortured him. (I am perhaps being a tad hyperbolic) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Which WRs or TEs went other places and did better? Or even did good other places? MVS, Lazard, Cobb, etc?

Then of course you have Davante, Jordy, Jennings, and Driver who tore it up with Rodgers. Driver is a legend for staying with GB only, Aside from Davante, none of them were much outside GB and even he's not the same caliber.

What real talent did Rodgers ever have in GB at TE that wasn't washed up? Finley and an injury ruined him.

44 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Almost every receiver who Rodgers played with that we invested decent capital turned out to be a stud?

Amari Rodgers, J'Mon Moore, MVS, EQ. What did they become without Rodgers?

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Almost every receiver who Rodgers played with that we invested decent capital turned out to be a stud?

Jimmy Graham went from 10 touchdowns in Seattle to 2 his first year in Green Bay. He was 32. This year he doubled that in his first year back with the Saints.

The amount of times Graham broke wide open that Rodgers didn't throw is at least 72 times.

Yeah, I guess you're right and there weren't many. Seems like there should have been more. I think Cobb could have had a fringe HOF career with a different QB. I feel like Montgomery would have made an all-pro or two with Brady. Montgomery is the one I think of the most. He had such an awesome skillset.

And Reed. Reed is a guy I don't think would have done well with Rodgers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

honestly GB never had a receiver succeed without rodgers.  Jordy, Jennings, James Jones, EQ, Amari, didn't matter once they left they were basically out of the league.

Makes you wonder if they had signed someone from outside if they could have been just as great

well, except davante of course.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I’m in your club on this one. I don’t know if Amari would have become anything, but I do know that Rodgers psychologically tortured him. (I am perhaps being a tad hyperbolic) 

people say this stuff, yet have nothing of substance to back it up, give Rodgers a receiver with talent and he makes pro bowl level players out of them, it's fine to dislike the guy, but using this lame excuse doesn't work, mostly it's a defense of bringing in sub standard receivers even Rodgers couldn't make better, and who no one else did either.

16 minutes ago, turf toe said:

people say this stuff, yet have nothing of substance to back it up, give Rodgers a receiver with talent and he makes pro bowl level players out of them, it's fine to dislike the guy, but using this lame excuse doesn't work, mostly it's a defense of bringing in sub standard receivers even Rodgers couldn't make better, and who no one else did either.

Rodgers only threw your way if you were his buddy and it had almost nothing to do with skill level. Remember the hissyfit he threww when Kumerow was released?

Also, it’s no coincidence the Jets signed Cobb and Lazard even if everyone knew they were cooked (Cobb) or not worth his contract (Lazard). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MacReady said:

Yah, I've thought about that as well.  And after giving it a few minutes to marinate in the ole brain, I came away thinking that Rodgers did in fact give WR's a chance and many of them performed well for us despite not being overly drafted or talented.

Top of my head......Geronimo Allison started for us and produced some for us.  He got Lazard a $12M/year contract.  MVS got a $10M/year contract and MVS was very useful to us (and Rodgers).  Tonyan was a UDFA who worked hard and produced nicely with Rodgers, until the injury hit him and he lost his speed.

I'd say the list of "hits" from lesser guys has got to be pretty equal to the misses.  

I can be plenty critical of Rodgers, but in this case?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, I've thought about that as well.  And after giving it a few minutes to marinate in the ole brain, I came away thinking that Rodgers did in fact give WR's a chance and many of them performed well for us despite not being overly drafted or talented.

Top of my head......Geronimo Allison started for us and produced some for us.  He got Lazard a $12M/year contract.  MVS got a $10M/year contract and MVS was very useful to us (and Rodgers).  Tonyan was a UDFA who worked hard and produced nicely with Rodgers, until the injury hit him and he lost his speed.

I'd say the list of "hits" from lesser guys has got to be pretty equal to the misses.  

I can be plenty critical of Rodgers, but in this case?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  

Look at @Bcv’s response.

It’s accurate. Rodgers liked Rodgers ball. He didn’t like timing routes.

Why do you think suddenly now those quick outs to our tight ends work? Because Love throws it when it’s supposed to be thrown, not after scanning downfield for three seconds allowing defenders to get there.

It’s no wonder Cobb’s career high in yards per reception came when he was 29 years old and in Dallas.

Jayden Reed is going to be what Cobb could have been in Green Bay. Fringe HOF player.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah, I can't think of a single player that Rodgers "ignored" that went on to have significant success someplace else.  It seems pretty obvious that Rodgers could get good production from average players as longs as they were in sync.  Rodgers issue was that the "sync" always had to be at 100%, so it was always going to be very tough on the new guys.  It was fine until the veteran depth at WR went to hell and outside of Adams, the new guys were the only options.  The 2018 draft where Moore, MVS and EQ never really panned out threw the Packers WR room off track, and never really got back in sync for Rodgers.  

• Like 1