2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are you sold that Wilson can be as good as Patrick Taylor? In my mind, that is all he has to be, if we draft another RB.  PT has a spot on the team, he was a very good pass protector and would plod out yards if you needed him to do so.  Wilson has the frame to block, and has shown some running ability in his limited chances.  I think he can play that role.  I thought we did just fine with Jones and PT + Wilson at the end of last season.  Just look for a good fit for your system in the mid rounds.

I'm not being clear.....I think we need a RB by Committee. Somebody who will split time with AJ without much of a drop off. We cant push AJ like we did to close out last year. He simply wont last IMO. Can Wilson be RB3? Sure...especially how little our RB3 see the field.

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not being clear.....I think we need a RB by Committee. Somebody who will split time with AJ without much of a drop off. We cant push AJ like we did to close out last year. He simply wont last IMO. Can Wilson be RB3? Sure...especially how little our RB3 see the field.

Then you probably want to look at:  Jonathon Brooks, Blake Corrum, Ray Davis, Trey Benson, Audric Estime

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Then you probably want to look at:  Jonathon Brooks, Blake Corrum, Ray Davis, Trey Benson, Audric Estime

Damn dude....you're killing me with names. Least you can do is put them in some order of preference! :)

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Damn dude....you're killing me with names. Least you can do is put them in some order of preference! :)

FWIW... Brooks and Estime are both 20, Benson is 21, Corum 23, and Davis 24 if that helps you sort them some. 

6 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

FWIW... Brooks and Estime are both 20, Benson is 21, Corum 23, and Davis 24 if that helps you sort them some. 

Thanks...but for this position, I'm not so hung up on the player's age. 

24 might be pushing it for a 1st year starter (especially if he's gonna be 25 come time for the season to begin) - but these guys have a hard enough time scratching out second contracts....so, I'm looking for a guy that can step in and hold his own next year (or I guess this year if more appropriate now).

Basically, I think the offense is ready to go. Fix a few things on the OL....and lets get at it.
The D will be Hafley's baby...and I'm optimistic and hoping for the best that entire unit plays better.

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Don’t know much about Estime but he is a big back. In some ways, we want that later in the season but we also see how much better a guy who can get up to speed fast can have success with this scheme. As much as I loved AJD and big backs in general, I don’t think we need a clone or at least not in the early rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Don’t know much about Estime but he is a big back. In some ways, we want that later in the season but we also see how much better a guy who can get up to speed fast can have success with this scheme. As much as I loved AJD and big backs in general, I don’t think we need a clone or at least not in the early rounds. 

We do need a guy that can convert those 3rd & shorts though....just by sheer force if the blocking is insufficient. AJ doesnt move bodies as much as avoids them....but in those situations against a stacked D? That's where AJD or an AJD clone pays off by keeping the chains moving.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

We do need a guy that can convert those 3rd & shorts though....just by sheer force if the blocking is insufficient. AJ doesnt move bodies as much as avoids them....but in those situations against a stacked D? That's where AJD or an AJD clone pays off by keeping the chains moving.

I don’t disagree and Dillon got better at that, but just as often Jones was able to slip through on a quick hitter while Dillon took longer to rev up and got stoned in the backfield. I do want a back bigger than Jones, but they don’t have to weigh 230 to be tough and move the pile.  Estime is intriguing but I hope we find a solid back outside of the first two rounds. 

• Like 2

While we are talking RBs I want to throw out my super duper under the radar long shot running back crush just to put it out there.

Keilan Robinson

He was stuck behind Harris and Robinson Jr at Alabama and then Robinson, Johnson, Brooks and Blue at Texas. No shame in that.

Averaged 6.6 YPC, showed good hands and scored 11 TDs in only 150 touches in college. He returned kicks as well averaging ~24 YPR with an added TD.

He's small at 5'9" 190lbs but he's a BURNER. Very possibly could have the fastest 40 (low 4.3s?) out of any RB in this draft. 

I'd LOVE to take a sixth or seventh round flyer on him and see what he could do as a gadget guy and returner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thanks...but for this position, I'm not so hung up on the player's age. 

24 might be pushing it for a 1st year starter (especially if he's gonna be 25 come time for the season to begin) - but these guys have a hard enough time scratching out second contracts....so, I'm looking for a guy that can step in and hold his own next year (or I guess this year if more appropriate now).

Basically, I think the offense is ready to go. Fix a few things on the OL....and lets get at it.
The D will be Hafley's baby...and I'm optimistic and hoping for the best that entire unit plays better.

I'm feeling like I read that Brooks is coming off of a significant injury, too.

Yup, torn ACL in November.

56 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

While we are talking RBs I want to throw out my super duper under the radar long shot running back crush just to put it out there.

Keilan Robinson

He was stuck behind Harris and Robinson Jr at Alabama and then Robinson, Johnson, Brooks and Blue at Texas. No shame in that.

Averaged 6.6 YPC, showed good hands and scored 11 TDs in only 150 touches in college. He returned kicks as well averaging ~24 YPR with an added TD.

He's small at 5'9" 190lbs but he's a BURNER. Very possibly could have the fastest 40 (low 4.3s?) out of any RB in this draft. 

I'd LOVE to take a sixth or seventh round flyer on him and see what he could do as a gadget guy and returner. 

I’ve seen Bucky Irving mocked to us and he is also a smaller bit blazing back and has shown some receiving chops. It will be interesting how they  address the position but I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to get a late round guy even if they take another relatively early. I will take a look at KR. 

• Like 1