2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's an interesting thought exercise, but I don't think there's any way you trade Jaire unless you've completely lost faith in Jordan Love.  But from those 3 trades, unless you really believe in Kaiir Elam or Cam Smith, you take that Eagles' package.  All 3 FRPs are probably going to be in that 27-32 range, so you can call it a wash.  And for the foreseeable future, you have to imagine that those FRPs in 2025 are going to be valued similarly.  So it comes down to the Eagles' SRP vs. Cam Smith vs. Kaiir Elam.  Smith comes with 3 additional years of team control, while comes with 3 year albeit that 3rd year being very expensive.

Or you believe in Douglass, Stokes and Valentine. Our problems in the secondary are poor slot play and our safeties are not good. 

I'm not advocating for this but don't think the trading of Jaire necessarily means you've given up on Love. Maybe you believe enough in the other guys and realize it's a chance to acquire a lot more talent for a lot less money. 

It's a whole lot of dead money going to hit in 24 and not sure if we can push some into 25 or not. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Or you believe in Douglass, Stokes and Valentine. Our problems in the secondary are poor slot play and our safeties are not good. 

I'm not advocating for this but don't think the trading of Jaire necessarily means you've given up on Love. Maybe you believe enough in the other guys and realize it's a chance to acquire a lot more talent for a lot less money. 

It's a whole lot of dead money going to hit in 24 and not sure if we can push some into 25 or not. 

If you've got faith in an oft-injured CB and a rookie QB who has played in 80 defense snaps, I'd like to know what drugs you're doing.  Right now, our CB room looks a LOT better with Jaire than it does without Jaire.  If Stokes were playing at a reasonable level, I could maybe see an argument that 2 FRPs are worth more than Jaire Alexander.  But you're betting in a total unknown at this point.

Right now, Green Bay has their FRP and SRP as well as their SRP from the Jets.  If you add another FRP (and possibly a SRP if you chose the Eagles' option), you'd have enough ammunition to move up probably for any pick that wasn't the 1st overall pick without digging into future picks.  The problem is that this isn't a great draft at the top of the draft outside of 2-3 players (Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr. are my only blue chip prospects).  It's got a solid second tier (Drake Maye, Brock Bowers, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Olu Fashanu, Jared Verse, Joe Alt, Kalen King, etc.) depending on where your evaluations end up.  I feel this is a bad draft to be picking 4-8 range, but if you're picking 9-15 then you're going to get similar players to guys drafted inside the top 8.

Right now, Green Bay needs to amass as much good, young talent as possible.  Jordan Love is only 24 years old, so conceivably he turns the corner this year and you're competing for playoffs next year.  And a championship within 2-3 years.  That's pretty much the window for Jaire Alexander before you start to think about letting him go.  If you're changing your QB, you've got probably got 1-2 years before he's competing for playoff spots, and an additional year or two before you're pushing for a championship.  It's better to take those growing pains when you're young.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If you've got faith in an oft-injured CB and a rookie QB who has played in 80 defense snaps, I'd like to know what drugs you're doing.  Right now, our CB room looks a LOT better with Jaire than it does without Jaire.  If Stokes were playing at a reasonable level, I could maybe see an argument that 2 FRPs are worth more than Jaire Alexander.  But you're betting in a total unknown at this point.

Right now, Green Bay has their FRP and SRP as well as their SRP from the Jets.  If you add another FRP (and possibly a SRP if you chose the Eagles' option), you'd have enough ammunition to move up probably for any pick that wasn't the 1st overall pick without digging into future picks.  The problem is that this isn't a great draft at the top of the draft outside of 2-3 players (Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr. are my only blue chip prospects).  It's got a solid second tier (Drake Maye, Brock Bowers, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Olu Fashanu, Jared Verse, Joe Alt, Kalen King, etc.) depending on where your evaluations end up.  I feel this is a bad draft to be picking 4-8 range, but if you're picking 9-15 then you're going to get similar players to guys drafted inside the top 8.

Right now, Green Bay needs to amass as much good, young talent as possible.  Jordan Love is only 24 years old, so conceivably he turns the corner this year and you're competing for playoffs next year.  And a championship within 2-3 years.  That's pretty much the window for Jaire Alexander before you start to think about letting him go.  If you're changing your QB, you've got probably got 1-2 years before he's competing for playoff spots, and an additional year or two before you're pushing for a championship.  It's better to take those growing pains when you're young.

Didn't the Dolphins trade away their top CB a few years ago for a couple of 1st? They weren't exactly stacked at the position when they did it. I do believe Tua was the QB when they made that trade. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Didn't the Dolphins trade away their top CB a few years ago for a couple of 1st? They weren't exactly stacked at the position when they did it. I do believe Tua was the QB when they made that trade. 

I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Correct! They actually traded for Xavian Howard. My mistake. 

I don't think they traded for him.  I think there was a point where he asked for a trade, but they ended up giving him a new deal.  He's been a Dolphin since he entered the league.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, Zycho32 said:

Easier to tell who you're talking about, as 'Vante's only a one syllable separation from Davante, as opposed to a two-syllable separation with 'Tae. Also, the 'v' really helps with recognition.

But " 'Vante" saves you zero keystrokes so why not just use the full name?

6 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

But " 'Vante" saves you zero keystrokes so why not just use the full name?

Because we're a fundamentally lazy-when-content species and figuring out if it's Davante or Devante is something one is easily convinced they can't be bothered? That and it costs two brain cells while relying on muscle memory to type an equal amount of keystrokes costs nothing?

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You thinking about Ramsey when he was traded from the Jags to the Rams? 

16 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Because we're a fundamentally lazy-when-content species and figuring out if it's Davante or Devante is something one is easily convinced they can't be bothered? That and it costs two brain cells while relying on muscle memory to type an equal amount of keystrokes costs nothing?

I have been here long enough to remember AG20 getting triggered by people spelling Hayward as Heyward.

And we survived Favre and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila before that.

It’s MLF for me almost always because what are the chances I get LeFleuer right…

There will always be spelling challenges to test our worth and mark the depths of our acumen.

19 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

loloud 

3 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I have been here long enough to remember AG20 getting triggered by people spelling Hayward as Heyward.

And we survived Favre and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila before that.

It’s MLF for me almost always because what are the chances I get LeFleuer right…

There will always be spelling challenges to test our worth and mark the depths of our acumen.

I am constantly having to look up whether it is La or Le Fleur.

And just when I finally could spell Bakhtiari correctly, he got hurt. 

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's an interesting thought exercise, but I don't think there's any way you trade Jaire unless you've completely lost faith in Jordan Love.  But from those 3 trades, unless you really believe in Kaiir Elam or Cam Smith, you take that Eagles' package.  All 3 FRPs are probably going to be in that 27-32 range, so you can call it a wash.  And for the foreseeable future, you have to imagine that those FRPs in 2025 are going to be valued similarly.  So it comes down to the Eagles' SRP vs. Cam Smith vs. Kaiir Elam.  Smith comes with 3 additional years of team control, while comes with 3 year albeit that 3rd year being very expensive.

Haven't look at the dead cap number for Jaire but if we got offered 3 1sts we'd be crazy not to accept it. Even 2 1sts and I think very hard about it.

One of the variables overlooked by player trades is money saved that can be spent in FA. Feel like CB is the one premium position where there's a decent free agency class most years. 

If we can get 80% of Jaire production in FA, Give me 2-3 1sts + 20m spending money over Jaire

4 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Haven't look at the dead cap number for Jaire but if we got offered 3 1sts we'd be crazy not to accept it. Even 2 1sts and I think very hard about it.

One of the variables overlooked by player trades is money saved that can be spent in FA. Feel like CB is the one premium position where there's a decent free agency class most years. 

If we can get 80% of Jaire production in FA, Give me 2-3 1sts + 20m spending money over Jaire

Well, I don't think it is in the nature of the universe to reward Green Bay with crazy compensation for excellent players. (Davantae was pretty close to crazy compensation, but that is mitigated by the fact that he is pretty darn good.)

But if it were to happen that we traded Jaire for some ungodly amount of high picks I would wish him well and be a fan of his. I find him more entertaining than he is dominate [sic] anyway.