2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, R T said:

It's the time of year when fans get 40-time brain lock, Drake London was probably a 4.7 guy and was the first WR off the board in '22 at 8th overall. 40 times might be the most overvalued thing that many fans obsess about. 

Last year it was a video clip of a TE picking up a blocking sled, all while being flat footed.

That dude had like 7 receptions on the season.  Maybe he breaks out.  But I'm darned happy we went with the Musgrave/Kraft combo.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea to regularly shuffle new WRs and TEs into the room if for no other reason than you're not going to be able to pay everyone. We're probably only gonna be able to pay Doubs OR Watson. Reed OR Wicks. Maybe even Musgrave OR Kraft. It's not going to be an issue next season but eventually you're going to want a couple guys waiting in the wings. This year's WR class is so incredible I wouldn't really have a problem taking a guy relatively high if he was the right fit. 

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Also, if you are pining for Xavier Worthy, compare him to Bo Melton.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier-worthy/3200574f-5274-1496-c9ca-5c4709faa05b

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bo-melton/32004d45-4c57-5431-1061-b314a42762bf

Worthy jumps a little better and runs a little faster.  Melton has slightly longer arms and bigger hands.  Melton was also pushing 190, while Worthy is 165.  We got Bo Melton for free, while Worthy will take a second (if you believe @ReasonablySober , and I do).  Every WR that we take a chance on is eliminating one that we already have.  If it is a "small," you are getting rid of Bo Melton and Samori Toure.  If it is a "big" you are getting rid of Malik Heath and Grant DuBose.  These guys certainly can be improved upon, I don't think anyone would argue that.  But is it a wise investment to use a top 50 pick to replace one of them, given the make-up of the rest of the roster?

Personal preference, the only WR I want in this draft is Johnny Wilson.  But I also really liked Lazard, and really like the group that we have in the room right now.

My answer would be 'Yes, if..."

1]Yes, it is wise if the team has evaluated that player as having an impact comparable to Jayden Reed or (a healthy) Christian Watson

2]Decided that Bo Melton and Malik Heath and Grant DuBose would not be the reason to pass on said impactful player 

3]Had that player ranked higher than players at other positions based on the potential for long-term success

4] Made the decision based on the understanding that the Packers will continue to operate as an NFL franchise and that player would have an effect on our roster building over multiple seasons and not just what we have entering 2024.

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

My answer would be 'Yes, if..."

1]Yes, it is wise if the team has evaluated that player as having an impact comparable to Jayden Reed or (a healthy) Christian Watson

2]Decided that Bo Melton and Malik Heath and Grant DuBose would not be the reason to pass on said impactful player 

Do you believe that Xavier Worthy fulfills either of these criteria? I don't.  But we can disagree, that is the beauty of these discussions.    

5 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I think it's a good idea to regularly shuffle new WRs and TEs into the room if for no other reason than you're not going to be able to pay everyone. We're probably only gonna be able to pay Doubs OR Watson. Reed OR Wicks. Maybe even Musgrave OR Kraft. It's not going to be an issue next season but eventually you're going to want a couple guys waiting in the wings. This year's WR class is so incredible I wouldn't really have a problem taking a guy relatively high if he was the right fit. 

I am 100% on board with this.  I just think that the timing on a Watson/Doubs replacement is next season.  And a Reed/Wicks is the season after that.  Pay one or the other, but also try to maximize the rookie contract of the replacement players.  Watson and Doubs still have 2 more seasons on their contracts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

How soon we forget about Micah Hyde.

I remember him well.  When guys didn't just run passed him because he was too slow, he fell down trying to make a tackle.  He did have that one nifty INT that one time though.

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you believe that Xavier Worthy fulfills either of these criteria? I don't.  But we can disagree, that is the beauty of these discussions.    

Xavier Worthy?  No.      I wasn't responding specifically regarding Worthy though, just a general response to using a Top 50 pick on an area of perceived strength

And don't get me wrong in my post - I understand your thought process and don't think it's some out-of-left field thinking- I'm just outlining mine.   None of the WR's on the roster are screaming to be replaced.    It was 4(?) years ago that Gute got **** for not taking a WR in another perceived top WR draft and explained he didn't think anyone was a substantial enough increase over what was already on the roster -- exactly what you are saying.   It wouldn't be shocking to me if he did the same this year - but I'd hope his thinking has changed and they'd trust their board and not be short-sighted if a WR they really liked was available early

Hyde was so misused here.  Slot corner who had little acceleration and top end speed.  

Tale as old as time.  3rd and medium?  Run your slot across the field against Hyde.  He could never keep up.  

Very good ball skills, though.  Always thought he was football smart.

Just knew he would be a better safety.  And I had no idea he would be THAT good as a safety.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

When you see "Iowa" and it is not "Bryan Bulaga," pass on the player.

This Aaron Kampman slander will not stand. He was an Iowa guy miscast in his role before it was cool. 

• Like 4