2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lot of big Pro Days today: Michigan, Florida State, Boston College, Missouri and a few others. 

Question is where is Gutey? Michigan? Or Florida State?

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Good player. Had him in a few mocks. Likely a 2nd rounder and definitely a guy to watch if we go IOL there. 

Yeah, if we go defense round 1 - which I hope we do- Haynes could be a perfect fit for us in the 2nd. I’m usually going Newton, Wilson, then Haynes with my first three picks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, R T said:

Because the 40 time within a 0.10 isn't a big deal to the teams. Fans on the other hand make a big deal out of it.

r/nfl - The physical difference of .04 seconds in the NFL

Here is a visual for reference of the difference in .09 sec.     Over 40 yards that represents a very sizeable gap.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

DeJean played exactly 1 snap at safety for Iowa.  Anybody saying he's the best safety in the class is engaging purely in projection.  Now sometimes projection is correct, but it's also not something you should be entirely confident in.

Where DeJean has value for the Packers is not "you can pencil him in at safety from day 1 and he'll be great" it's that you can figure out where he fits best with the other guys in which formations.  But it's also entirely possible he's a better outside corner than a safety.

Guy X didn't do Y, so saying he can is projection.

Dillion didn't catch the ball in college, but he sure as heck did in Green Bay.

We draft collegiate tackles to be guards all the time.

DeJean has the traits that you 100% COVET in the safety position.  And he has some great coverage skills.  He's a swiss army knife type of piece to have.  And you can play just oh so many games with him.  Is he a safety?  Is he a slot?  Where is he?  What is he?

Taking him and signing a tier 2 safety in FA would give us the flexibility of having 3 safeties on the field at the same time.  And at least two of them have man on man coverage ability.  

And when I look at this safety class...it is a very easy conclusion that DeJean has the best traits for that position.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, persiandud said:

Cooper DeJean will definitely begin as the nickel corner if we draft him. *maybe* he becomes a safety later in his career, but NFL teams are always going to try to get the player to stick at corner over safety, as corner is more valuable 

Hmm.  Why not both?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Christian Haynes has very similar RAS as Elgton Jenkins

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Good player. Had him in a few mocks. Likely a 2nd rounder and definitely a guy to watch if we go IOL there. 

Kirwan said that he "won" the Senior Bowl.  In a crop of great linemen, he stood out as being outstanding.  And it was everything, the work ethic, the actual blocking, the leadership.....etc.

Kirwan couldn't say enough good things about him.

44 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Beebe, JPJ, Barton, Fautanu, Frazier, all look like good linemen for G or C. I wouldn't mind any of them, though like most people I have my preferences (JPJ, Barton and Fautanu above Beebe and Frazier).

Check out Van Pran from Georgia.  I watched some of his stuff, and for a center, that kid can really move.  Looks very smart, too.  No doubt to me that he can also play guard.  I got a lot of Jenkins/Tom vibes when I saw his stuff.  Course, they were highlights, but he looked very smooth and could move easily and hit a moving target.

35 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

r/nfl - The physical difference of .04 seconds in the NFL

Here is a visual for reference of the difference in .09 sec.     Over 40 yards that represents a very sizeable gap.   

Football isn't played in 40 chunks, GM's are far more interested in what happens in the first 10 yards. How a player moves in the 3-cone and short shuttle. Even in the still shot it shows basically a 2-yard advantage over 40 yards which would be meaningful if a WR and DB started at the line of scrimmage and sprinted together down the field AND the QB hits the WR in stride 40 yards down field. But everyone should know that is not how football is played. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Saw he's not at Michigan. My guess is FSU, maybe Missouri.

Mizzou has the most guys that you probably want actual eyes on, IMO.  Does Florida State have anyone that had questionable numbers?  Maybe you want to see Keon Coleman run a little faster, but speed isn't really his game.  Are there any guys that didn't get a combine invite that are also working out?

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Mizzou has the most guys that you probably want actual eyes on, IMO.  Does Florida State have anyone that had questionable numbers?  Maybe you want to see Keon Coleman run a little faster, but speed isn't really his game.  Are there any guys that didn't get a combine invite that are also working out?

Nah, FSU would be the spot with the most diversity and overall number of players (Verse, Coleman, Fiske, Jones, Green, Benson)

But I would agree Gutey maybe wants a closer look at Darius Robinson and Rakestraw who both under-performed at the combine. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Guy X didn't do Y, so saying he can is projection.

Dillion didn't catch the ball in college, but he sure as heck did in Green Bay.

We draft collegiate tackles to be guards all the time.

DeJean has the traits that you 100% COVET in the safety position.  And he has some great coverage skills.  He's a swiss army knife type of piece to have.  And you can play just oh so many games with him.  Is he a safety?  Is he a slot?  Where is he?  What is he?

Taking him and signing a tier 2 safety in FA would give us the flexibility of having 3 safeties on the field at the same time.  And at least two of them have man on man coverage ability.  

And when I look at this safety class...it is a very easy conclusion that DeJean has the best traits for that position.

This is why DeJean is my number one want in this draft. He's like glue to an already assembled secondary - whoever gets hurt, he fills their role. And he'll be in plenty of packages to begin with. 

There's still about a dozen free agent free safeties with real starting experience. Even if it's just Rudy Ford that we bring in, pair that with DeJean and then draft a high ras corner in the mid-rounds and we have a pretty competitive secondary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Kirwan said that he "won" the Senior Bowl.  In a crop of great linemen, he stood out as being outstanding.  And it was everything, the work ethic, the actual blocking, the leadership.....etc.

Kirwan couldn't say enough good things about him.

Senior Bowl… High RAS… High work ethic… 2nd round projection.  I think Gutey just exploded.

• Like 2