2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

44 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I could be off on this and going off memory from while ago, but I believe Nagler spoke on this on CHTV. Not that Nagler is the end all be all, but he basically said that he knows (and I think said he "likes") Peter.

Basically Nagler said Peter is smarter than you may think and its somewhat an act or character to get engagement/clicks. Much like Cowherd, Steven A, Skip, etc. It may be annoying, but it works for engagement. 

So yes, he maybe is going for the Cowherd of the Packers market.

When it comes to the Packers, I think Bukowski believes what he says to a much larger degree than the Bayless/Cowherd types.

58 minutes ago, spilltray said:

It's funny how guys that were absolute trainwrecks as GMs can still use that as "cred".

Not to mention in round 1, it'd be highly against Gute's MO to take an OLman.

Plus even if it isn't a DB specifically, I would still think it's going to be a defensive pick as we have a new DC who we'd want to give as much of his type of players to work with.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Include 88 and/or 91 in a trade up?  Sure, but leave 41 and 58 alone.  I am not interested in parting with those RD2 picks this year.

Only 91 I'm including in a trade up is preston smith

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Plus even if it isn't a DB specifically, I would still think it's going to be a defensive pick as we have a new DC who we'd want to give as much of his type of players to work with.

We bought the new DC his shiny new toy as a safety.

We are giving him Gary, LVN and P on the Edge.

Kenny, Wyatt, Slaton, Brooks on the DL.

JA, Valentine, Stokes, Nixon, Ballentine at CB.

'Duffie and Walker at ILB.

So, he got a lot of toys already.  

When looking at the draft, we could use another ILB.  We could use another safety.  

Not sure there is an ILB or S worthy of #25 overall.

Round 2 seems like a nice spot to shop for him, just because of where value is at the positions for #25.

(Though I really hope Newton (DL), gets to #25.)

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We bought the new DC his shiny new toy as a safety.

We are giving him Gary, LVN and P on the Edge.

Kenny, Wyatt, Slaton, Brooks on the DL.

JA, Valentine, Stokes, Nixon, Ballentine at CB.

'Duffie and Walker at ILB.

So, he got a lot of toys already.  

When looking at the draft, we could use another ILB.  We could use another safety.  

Not sure there is an ILB or S worthy of #25 overall.

Round 2 seems like a nice spot to shop for him, just because of where value is at the positions for #25.

(Though I really hope Newton (DL), gets to #25.)

I do wonder about moving on from Stokes though.  Guy hasn't stayed healthy lately and seems to get beat a lot when he is playing.

I do get the feeling Gute is probably going to replace Campbell with his first round pick.  At least it would fit with his usual MO.

Granted he's always good for a surprise or 2 like his 2018 1st round trade down and picking Love in 2020, so an OL pick out the gate might be one he throws.  But just don't feel like he's going to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

It was highly against Gute's MO to take ILB's early... until he picked Quay.

It was highly against Gute's MO to take WR's early... until he traded up for Watson.

It was highly against Gute's MO to take older rookies early... until he picked Wyatt.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I do wonder about moving on from Stokes though.  Guy hasn't stayed healthy lately and seems to get beat a lot when he is playing.

I do get the feeling Gute is probably going to replace Campbell with his first round pick.  At least it would fit with his usual MO.

Granted he's always good for a surprise or 2 like his 2018 1st round trade down and picking Love in 2020, so an OL pick out the gate might be one he throws.  But just don't feel like he's going to do that.

Anything we get from Stokes now, is just gravy, right?  We seem content to play Valentine over there with JA.  Then Nixon.  Course, we will draft one, and I can be talked into one at #25.

I'd love it if we could replace Campbell with pick #25.  But I don't see a linebacker worth it at that pick.  But one will be picked between round 2 and 3 with those 4 selections.

My surprise for us shouldn't be a surprise.  We will use our first overall pick on a player who may not play much for us this year.  Lineman or corner.  

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

It was highly against Gute's MO to take ILB's early... until he picked Quay.

It was highly against Gute's MO to take WR's early... until he traded up for Watson.

It was highly against Gute's MO to take older rookies early... until he picked Wyatt.

I don't know.  I'm neutral on all of that.

I could easily debate against all of those picks, maybe even better than debating for all of those picks.

1 hour ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I could see an OL, but not that one.

The point is more Tannenbaum shouldn't be considered an "expert" imo.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know.  I'm neutral on all of that.

I could easily debate against all of those picks, maybe even better than debating for all of those picks.

It's more a debate on whether we have any kind of handle what Gute will/won't do at #25.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's funny how guys that were absolute trainwrecks as GMs can still use that as "cred".

I’ve listened to enough Rick Spielman to actually think this forum should be a multi million dollar enterprise giving GMs the most obvious advice ever.

3 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

He saves like 1 million if we cut him (if I am reading that right).  Don't think we will be picking up the 5th year option though.  That would be 12.4 million.