2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Buffalo.  Not sure where they will end up, but man, their remaining schedule is Brutal!

YIKES! Maybe they will be in the top 10! They need to hold serve at home to get to 8 wins. I could see the Chargers game going either way as one possible road win. 

Five losses are all one score losses too. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Good start, but how do we replace Runyon?

I still hold out hopes for Rhyan, but a dip there later in the draft might yield some results. Ohio state's Donovan Jackson, for example (probably in round 4) or Oregon State's Joshua Gray, (in round 5-6) who plays tackle in college, but probably guard in the NFL (the Packers like to do that and often draft a tackle to play guard).

With a guard, Van Pran and a top OT, it would be a heavy investment to try and get back to having a top O line group. I really like that idea, but many fans would probably like something sexier. The Packers probably still need help at S, ILB and RB among other positions, so taking three picks for the O line is not even close to a sure thing. However, the Packers usually select at least one O lineman every year and often more, whereas they took none at all last year - so them taking three is more likely in the next draft, than would normally be the case.

I rather liked Runyan early in his Green Bay career, but he doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

With a guard, Van Pran and a top OT, it would be a heavy investment to try and get back to having a top O line group. I really like that idea, but many fans would probably like something sexier. The Packers probably still need help at S, ILB and RB among other positions, so taking three picks for the O line is not even close to a sure thing. However, the Packers usually select at least one O lineman every year and often more, whereas they took none at all last year - so them taking three is more likely in the next draft, than would normally be the case.

Don't see ILB being anything early than maybe a Late Day 2 pick.  They just took Quay Walker in the 1st round of the 2022 draft, and De'Vondre Campbell is under contract for 3 more years beyond this year.  And the don't get any real substantial savings ($5M+) until after the 2024 season.  Plus, McDuffie isn't a FA until after the 2024 season.  ILB just simply isn't a need.  LIS, I could see someone on late on Day 2 IF the value pretend itself, but that seems unlikely.  Kamren Kinchens seems to be the consensus top safety in the class right now, but he's likely off the board before our SRP and is too early for our FRP.  As I've mentioned before, this RB class seems like a LOT whole lot of bleh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't see ILB being anything early than maybe a Late Day 2 pick.  They just took Quay Walker in the 1st round of the 2022 draft, and De'Vondre Campbell is under contract for 3 more years beyond this year.  And the don't get any real substantial savings ($5M+) until after the 2024 season.  Plus, McDuffie isn't a FA until after the 2024 season.  ILB just simply isn't a need.  LIS, I could see someone on late on Day 2 IF the value pretend itself, but that seems unlikely.  Kamren Kinchens seems to be the consensus top safety in the class right now, but he's likely off the board before our SRP and is too early for our FRP.  As I've mentioned before, this RB class seems like a LOT whole lot of bleh.

Ok, I take your point on ILBs. I had my eye on Tommy Eichenberg in round 4, but I also had round 4 pegged for a blocking TE, I was looking at Ohio States Cade Stover there (he's about about 6'4", 250). He has the speed you want and is said to be one of the best blocking prospects this year.

I also agree with what others have said that it isn't the best year for RBs, at least not the do-it-all at a very high level guys. Most likely you can get a role player in the mid rounds who can do a good job as one of a duo. So where do the higher (rounds 1-3) picks go ?

Besides tackle and center there is safety, but if that takes up the three picks in rounds one and two, what do you go for with your two round three picks. Note it is very possible there are no Safeties worth a round 2 pick, if still picking around the early 40's and probably only the one center.

Maybe Gute will try and trade his two 3rds for a mid 2nd round pick. Maybe another big edge like Tuimolau (6'4", 277) as eventual replacement for Preston, is better value than the best S on board in round 2. WR is also a possibility, though I quite like giving the guys on the roster now a good shot. Do you have a positional order that looks somewhat possible, or are you waiting until Feb or later, before you look at this.

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Maybe Gute will try and trade his two 3rds for a mid 2nd round pick. Maybe another big edge like Tuimolau (6'4", 277) as eventual replacement for Preston, is better value than the best S on board in round 2. WR is also a possibility, though I quite like giving the guys on the roster now a good shot. Do you have a positional order that looks somewhat possible, or are you waiting until Feb or later, before you look at this.

I've started looking at positional prospects.  Usually September through November is more of getting a feel on the offensive side of the ball.  Usually December through February is getting the defensive side of the ball known.  Once the Combine process comes through, you get a better idea of where everyone is going.  

Right now, I've started looking at the offensive skill positions, more specifically WR and TE.  Obviously, MHJ is the top WR prospect in the draft at his position.  Right now, I think there's 4 guys are that clear FRPs beyond MHJ in Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Rome Odenze, and Emeka Egbuka in no particular order.  But WRs seem to get elevated on draft day, so I'd imagine we've got at least 2-3 more WRs who sneak into the first round.  That next tier (Xavier Legette, Johnny Wilson, Ja'Lynn Polk, etc.) are probably in that group where they start going off the board early Day 2.  This looks like a pretty good WR class as a whole.  Has depth and star power at the top.

The TE class isn't as good, but it's got some intriguing pieces.  Obviously, Brock Bowers is the big name at the top of the draft and arguably the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis (yes, even better than Pitts).  Ja'Tavion Sanders is pretty clearly TE2 in this draft, and probably would be TE1 in any other draft.  Think he likely comes off the board either Late Day 1, or early Day 2.  There's a few more interesting guys there beyond those two.

14 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Joe Alt please.

I think that's where they'll go.  Depending on where they draft, any medical issues, and his combine numbers.  Regardless of who the QB is, you gotta get that OL fixed.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think that's where they'll go.  Depending on where they draft, any medical issues, and his combine numbers.  Regardless of who the QB is you gotta get that OL fixed.

The BYU OT is very intriguing also. His RAS will be high!