2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I finally watched me some Wiggins (CB) tape.  I don't know that I've ever come away from watching a kid's highlights and feeling so, uh, messed up over him.

One minute I'm loving what I'm seeing.  Smooth backpedal, unreal speed, ball skills, eyes/route IQ.  The next minute I'm turned off by lack of closing speed and then I just cannot get over how skinny he is.  

Kid has no hips.  He's wearing tiny shoulder pads and he looks like a bobble head out there.  There's just no meat on those bones.  And with that frame?  I don't know that he can naturally carry more than another 10 pounds or so. 

It's just so odd for me to be this bi-polar on a kid.  His lack of size just really, really scares me.

For the posters here who love doing mocks here is a question ????

Which of the picks in the first four rounds gives you the most trouble choosing who to take in a mock, (25, 41, 58, 88, 91, 126) ?

For me it's pick 41.

25 is relatively easy as one of DeJean, Murphy,  Powers-Johnson, Fautanu, Barton, maybe even Mims or Chop Robinson. I could see a trade down to the very top of round 2 or up for a good player who has fallen to 19-21. Lots of options here (for me).

41 is tough for me. There are ILBs Edgerrin Cooper and also Wilson if you can live with the injury history. Guyton or Morgan perhaps, if you like them (I'm lukewarm on both). Maybe you could go for risk with Fiske...........It seems too high for Sainristil, but he climbed all boards from a late 3rd early in the process to a 2nd somewhere in the 40's now.

58 I find things get easier again. I'm looking at DLs Kris Jenkins, Ohorhoro or Hall, ILB Colson, Safety Bullard or Hicks, CB Tampa or Melton, RB Brooks is possible here (though I'd rather get a RB in the 3rd). Edge Kneeland is another target.

89/91 S Hicks if still here, or Bishop or Bullock - lots of Safety options but recently they've been creeping up the boards just a bit to where several can be taken before 88. I like ILB Trotter here, but am looking to get Eicheberg at 126 if I get Trotter here as between them they can cover a lot of roles. I'm guessing there are several here that would take IOL Puni, or Van Pran, or Zinter. Maybe a RB like Corum or Brooks certainly if he slips this far.

126 This is RB Lloyd, Davis, Shipley, Guerendo territory. I often pick up slot CB Jarrian Jones here. I'll grab CB Renardo Green very quickly if he drops this far. some guys like ILB Trevin Morris and I often get Eichenberg here if I got Trotter at 88 or 91.

I'm sure you have thought of several guys I have failed to mention, but that could be I don't like them much, or see them differently, or have just forgotten them or never dug into them.

I find it weird to struggle with a fairly early round 2 pick, as for many years the top of round 2 was almost guaranteed to be the place where many of my favourite guys went.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Which of the picks in the first four rounds gives you the most trouble choosing who to take in a mock, (25, 41, 58, 88, 91, 126) ?

My biggest issue is that my plans get screwed up with the 30 pick gap between 58 and 88.  I seem to always have a player at 41 that I really like, but then the board is like ha ha! Bo Melton 66, Jaden Hicks 71.  And I am looking at players that I am not really happy with on the board until pick 126.

[edit]  MAX Melton.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave

51 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I like Simms because he has his takes which in some places are different to the norm. I feel he actually watches the tape to come to his conclusions and is not just doing it to be different. It is interesting because it shows evaluators all have different takes and not a consensus. 

With the Safeties he pretty much sees it as most of the forum does. He is not as high on Bullard though. With ILB he prefers Colson above all others and pretty much hates Trotter.

Interesting takes and taken with a pinch of salt

NFL Draft 2024 LB rankings: Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M - NBC Sports

Edgerrin Cooper is his #1 ILB

29 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For me it's pick 41.

25 is relatively easy as one of DeJean, Murphy,  Powers-Johnson, Fautanu, Barton, maybe even Mims or Chop Robinson. I could see a trade down to the very top of round 2 or up for a good player who has fallen to 19-21. Lots of options here (for me).

41 is tough for me. There are ILBs Edgerrin Cooper and also Wilson if you can live with the injury history. Guyton or Morgan perhaps, if you like them (I'm lukewarm on both). Maybe you could go for risk with Fiske...........It seems too high for Sainristil, but he climbed all boards from a late 3rd early in the process to a 2nd somewhere in the 40's now.

.I think if you want Edgerrin Cooper you need to take him at #25 or trade up from #41.   I don't think he'll be there at #41

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For me it's pick 41.

It's pick #41 for me as well.  I desperately want Cooper, and that is the pick where it makes sense, even though the PFF boards have him ranked lower than that.  And there are just a lot of really good guys that I like in that area of the draft.

I reserve the next second round pick for safety or OL.

Third round is where I look at corners.

But that pick 41 is the toughest for me.

Then the draft really gets out of whack for me when I do not grab an OT with the first pick.  Then it seems like I'm always chasing that position.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The ref who called the facemask before the hailmary.

Remember when they whined that it wasn't a facemask?  Their reasoning as far as I could tell was "because I don't want it to be"

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

.I think if you want Edgerrin Cooper you need to take him at #25 or trade up from #41.   I don't think he'll be there at #41

He's one of my favorites in this draft, but I think for the Packers I would rather have Colson.  I think Cooper will make it to #41, but it's going to be close. 

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I hate their spot at #25. 

I'm anticipating the run on legit first round prospects will be over, but especially at the premium positions. 

They'll likely be choosing from a lesser tier of OL or DB, or reaching to fill a position like LB or S. 

It's why I'm guessing they won't be keeping #25. They'll be moving up a handful of picks to secure someone like Mims or McKinstry, or down and perhaps out of round one. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, it was definitely the defenses that caused issues for Favre not the sub 1:1 TD:TO ratio in his last decade as a Packer. 

9 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Are you kidding? Favre's SB win was with one of the best defenses we've seen. Anchored with Reggie White and Leroy Butler. IIRC they were #1 in the league.

These two comments essentially cancel each other out.

"Ol Gunslinger" began to lose shootouts later in his career with GB because he had to carry the team due to shoddy defenses. Anyone remember that Packers-Colts match-up(wanna say 2002 or 2004)? The key play in the game was Jason David forcing a fumble after a reception and the Colts falling on it. Nevermind that we were the NFC version of the Chiefs: 13-3 year based on a strong RB play only to lose in the first round because the defense was crap.

Same thing goes for Rodgers from 2011 on essentially with the exception of 2014 where the defense actually played better than average until Brandon Bostick...well...

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I agree. So I’d like to go fishing for a lesser rated LB later on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For me it's pick 41.

58 I find things get easier again. I'm looking at DLs Kris Jenkins, Ohorhoro or Hall, ILB Colson, Safety Bullard or Hicks, CB Tampa or Melton, RB Brooks is possible here (though I'd rather get a RB in the 3rd). Edge Kneeland is another target.

89/91 S Hicks if still here, or Bishop or Bullock - lots of Safety options but recently they've been creeping up the boards just a bit to where several can be taken before 88. I like ILB Trotter here, but am looking to get Eicheberg at 126 if I get Trotter here as between them they can cover a lot of roles. I'm guessing there are several here that would take IOL Puni, or Van Pran, or Zinter. Maybe a RB like Corum or Brooks certainly if he slips this far.

126 This is RB Lloyd, Davis, Shipley, Guerendo territory. I often pick up slot CB Jarrian Jones here. I'll grab CB Renardo Green very quickly if he drops this far. some guys like ILB Trevin Morris and I often get Eichenberg here if I got Trotter at 88 or 91.

I'm sure you have thought of several guys I have failed to mention, but that could be I don't like them much, or see them differently, or have just forgotten them or never dug into them.

I find it weird to struggle with a fairly early round 2 pick, as for many years the top of round 2 was almost guaranteed to be the place where many of my favourite guys went.

41 was a doozy for a bit but eventually locked in on Edgerrin cooper. Could see him going at 25 though and hopefully get Suamataia at 41. The rest of the picks have been relatively easy for me. Normally Trey Benson falls to 88 and I grab him and Cole Bishop in the 3rd. Then Jarrian Jones followed by Jaheim Bell in the 5th. Loaded up on FSU guys lol

Stopped using the simulator though and have just been using using the consensus big board to make different mock drafts with different combos of players projected to be available at different picks. If there aren’t good options, I look at the rich hill trade chart and see what moves I can make. I imported that chart into excel so I can just filter by team to save some time. 

killed a few good hours with this lmao 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's pick #41 for me as well.  I desperately want Cooper, and that is the pick where it makes sense, even though the PFF boards have him ranked lower than that.  And there are just a lot of really good guys that I like in that area of the draft.

I reserve the next second round pick for safety or OL.

Third round is where I look at corners.

But that pick 41 is the toughest for me.

Then the draft really gets out of whack for me when I do not grab an OT with the first pick.  Then it seems like I'm always chasing that position.

Maybe Tampa Bay comes calling with 57 and 89 and we could get Kris Jenkins and Junior Colson. Both would need to drop a few slots from their projection. 

• Like 2