2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

10 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why does it need to be a first rounder? Because GB has done so awful with tackles outside the first round?

It doesn't.  Depends on what's available at their pick.  OL is a big priority IMO, but the talent has to be there to warrant the pick.

• Like 1

With the Packers dropping into middle of 1st round in draft order, seeing Jer'zhan Newton emerging as a possible Packers pick. It's a pick I suspect would have plenty of critics given Packer needs at S and OT. 

Newton is small for an IDL  (6-2, 295) but very disruptive. Has lined up as 3, 5 and 7 tech. 

8 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

With the Packers dropping into middle of 1st round in draft order, seeing Jer'zhan Newton emerging as a possible Packers pick. It's a pick I suspect would have plenty of critics given Packer needs at S and OT. 

Newton is small for an IDL  (6-2, 295) but very disruptive. Has lined up as 3, 5 and 7 tech. 

Will all depend on where we end up at DC. If we're one-gapping, Newton is a top of the line prospect for that.

Anyone have an actual good source on whether the Lazard comp pick is going to be a 4th or a 5th? Initially, Over the Cap had it as a 4th, but then updated it so that Lazard's contract just missed the cut-off and ends up a 5th comp pick. However, recently, I've been seeing Packer Twitter peeps still talking about it as a 4th. I can't find anything recent online confirming one way or the other since the Over the Cap update, which was back in May. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Anyone have an actual good source on whether the Lazard comp pick is going to be a 4th or a 5th? Initially, Over the Cap had it as a 4th, but then updated it so that Lazard's contract just missed the cut-off and ends up a 5th comp pick. However, recently, I've been seeing Packer Twitter peeps still talking about it as a 4th. I can't find anything recent online confirming one way or the other since the Over the Cap update, which was back in May. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What actually determines the compensation? It's the contract right? Not the production...right?

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Interesting, they switched Lazard and Davenport. Davenport has the larger APY and was originally a 4th comp, but I believe snap counts also factor into the equation and Davenport has been on IR for a while with the ankle injury. That must have triggered the swap. Hopefully the Jets get Lazard back into the lineup lol. 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

What actually determines the compensation? It's the contract right? Not the production...right?

I think it's primarily contract, but playing time and postseason honors are part of the process.

The NFL uses a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors to determine which players are classified as CFAs. Teams that suffer a net loss in CFAs receive a corresponding number of compensatory picks. For example, a team that lost three CFAs in free agency but signed two would be awarded one comp pick.

The formula, which is confidential, also determines where these comp picks fall in the draft based on the net value loss of CFAs by a team. Just like no more than 32 comp picks can be handed out, no team can be awarded more than four in a single draft.

Conversely, if fewer than 32 comp picks are handed out, the remaining number is distributed to teams based on draft order. These are called supplemental selections.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Both in some ways. It's driven by APY (average per year salary), but snap counts factor in, among one or two other things I think, but not exactly sure. 

Just now, Brat&Beer said:

I think it's primarily contract, but playing time and postseason honors are part of the process.

Interesting. The reason I ask is - first - I dont know the system - but second - if it's production...well, Lazard hasnt exactly set the world on fire this year and was actually a healthy scratch last week - so the thought came to me that the NYJs might be trying to reduce the compensation?

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Both in some ways. It's driven by APY (average per year salary), but snap counts factor in, among one or two other things I think, but not exactly sure. 

I mentioned it in my other comment....but could the Jets decrease the compensation if they continue to reduce Lazard's snaps? He was a healthy scratch last week.