2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Jenkins-Beebe-Van Pran-Runyan-Tom is the OL. My heart wants Bakhtiari but without emotion involved he’s a terrible idea. As much as everyone thinks there are so many Tackles there aren’t more than 4 worth pick 13 and of course, they went before my pick. 

Back to a general discussion for everyone,

If Fashanu, Alt, Latham, and Fuaga all go in the first 12 picks, is there anyone you’d consider taking prior to the late 20s for value at the position? Mims? For our offense?

So you end up looking back at Tackle in the second round, and it turns out there aren’t any I like to be a franchise LT better than moving either Tom or Jenkins to LT. All of them have flags. Injury, size, fit, etc. Hopefully that will change as the draft process continues but as of now we should be looking at what happens if no T is ever available for value when we draft.

That's interesting. I hadn't really considered that as an option, but I suppose it's as reasonable as any other lineup.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Wy wife went to HS with Allen's mom and is super excited that he's going pro. I don't have the heart to tell her he's an iffy prospect and might not go until the 3rd or later (tbf "second day at best" might as well b Urdu, she doesn't do sports and wouldn't know wtf I'm talking about)

I have a friend that went to Antonio Johnson's (Texas A&M) draft party.  They are from East St. Louis.  The thought from that camp was that he was going on the first night.  I didn't want to argue, but I was like, "You sure about that?"  He went in Round 5.  Not that it makes him some kind of scrub or anything, but sometimes you need a little bit of an outside perspective on things to get a real sense of where they stand.

27 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Jenkins-Beebe-Van Pran-Runyan-Tom is the OL. My heart wants Bakhtiari but without emotion involved he’s a terrible idea. As much as everyone thinks there are so many Tackles there aren’t more than 4 worth pick 13 and of course, they went before my pick. 

If Fashanu, Alt, Latham, and Fuaga all go in the first 12 picks, is there anyone you’d consider taking prior to the late 20s for value at the position? Mims? For our offense?

So you end up looking back at Tackle in the second round, and it turns out there aren’t any I like to be a franchise LT better than moving either Tom or Jenkins to LT. All of them have flags. Injury, size, fit, etc. Hopefully that will change as the draft process continues but as of now we should be looking at what happens if no T is ever available for value when we draft.

I am hesitant to move Jenkins off that LG spot.  We saw what he was when he played RT last season.  Perhaps he was not 100% but he was much better when he was returned to his LG spot.  I think this is a situation where it isn't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 3

"Make no mistake that a good quarterback in the portal costs, you know, a million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now, just so we're all on the same page," Rhule said Wednesday while discussing the state of the program with reporters. "Let's make sure we all understand what's happening. There are some teams that have $6 [million] or $7 million players playing for them."

I found this to be quite an interesting quote yesterday from Rhule when asked about the possibility of Nebraska looking to the portal for a QB.  I have to think only the most elite college QB's would even be tempted to enter the draft early, but maybe that has always been true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am hesitant to move Jenkins off that LG spot.  We saw what he was when he played RT last season.  Perhaps he was not 100% but he was much better when he was returned to his LG spot.  I think this is a situation where it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I appreciate the idea of valuing premium positions, but "let's take an All Pro and put him at a different position" is a pretty insane statement when you really think about it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I appreciate the idea of valuing premium positions, but "let's take an All Pro and put him at a different position" is a pretty insane statement when you really think about it 

We also have to look at Walker week by week.  I would be lying if I said I was laser focused on the LT the entire time.  BUT, he seems to also be playing better as the team has improved.  Is he replaceable? Sure.  Is he needing to be replaced? I am not so sure.  Remember, Bakhtiari wasn't amazing right out of the gate either.  There was talk that he would be better at center, and that we maybe should let him walk.  Remember, he is still just 23, and I am pretty sure he is everything you look for physically at the position.

I am not saying no to a tackle.  But I am saying no to just any tackle.  We can do worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The question remains: we pick 13th, if Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, and Latham are all taken prior, how are you going to make a better left side than Jenkins/Beebe?

18 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Easy. Tom, Jenkins.

Okay needless to say then the question is whom is replacing Tom at RT that fits our offense and our pick range in the second round? That’s where the position is still too cloudy for me to be able to think there will be a better result.

6 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

You got to come up with your dream offensive line and ended up with Runyan at Guard?

Bro, are you okay? This is the Offensive Line equivalent of simping for a fat chick.

55 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We also have to look at Walker week by week.  I would be lying if I said I was laser focused on the LT the entire time.  BUT, he seems to also be playing better as the team has improved.  Is he replaceable? Sure.  Is he needing to be replaced? I am not so sure.  Remember, Bakhtiari wasn't amazing right out of the gate either.  There was talk that he would be better at center, and that we maybe should let him walk.  Remember, he is still just 23, and I am pretty sure he is everything you look for physically at the position.

I am not saying no to a tackle.  But I am saying no to just any tackle.  We can do worse.

This is my point. At some point value has to match the choice. As much as I hate to select a Guard with a top 50 pick, it’s better than spending a 2nd round pick on a 3rd round talent.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You got to come up with your dream offensive line and ended up with Runyan at Guard?

Bro, are you okay? This is the Offensive Line equivalent of simping for a fat chick.

Dream? No the opposite. I had to settle for moving Jenkins to T and draft a replacement because I don’t want to have Runyan and a tier 3 rookie opposite.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Dream? No the opposite. I had to settle for moving Jenkins to T and draft a replacement because I don’t want to have Runyan and a tier 3 rookie opposite.

Why bring back Runyan at all when Rhyan is already better than him and should be starting? What kind of money are you paying Runyan to come back and suck for another year or two?

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

Why bring back Runyan at all when Rhyan is already better than him and should be starting. What kind of money are you paying Runyan to come back and suck for another year or two?

May be clear that Rhyan is better by seasons end, but I’m also not here to defend Runyan. Obviously he’s not headed for big cash, which is why I feel they’ll bring him back if they A) Don’t like 69 for any reason. B) Don’t bring back Myers, which I feel they will honestly attempt but I’m less certain we won’t be outbid a la several mid players. I don’t think they would replace 3 starting OL in one offseason when it’s finally coming together offensively.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

May be clear that Rhyan is better by seasons end, but I’m also not here to defend Runyan. Obviously he’s not headed for big cash, which is why I feel they’ll bring him back if they A) Don’t like 69 for any reason. B) Don’t bring back Myers, which I feel they will honestly attempt but I’m less certain we won’t be outbid a la several mid players. I don’t think they would replace 3 starting OL in one offseason when it’s finally coming together offensively.

Myers is in year three. He's going nowhere. 

• Like 1