2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I feel like a broken record explaining this to people, but what WR on this roster are we replacing? Doubs, Wicks, Watson, Reed are all roster locks just based on economics alone. Melton has made a very good case for himself the last few weeks. That leaves WR6, and this team is probably not keeping more than 6 going into 2024. Are we really going to use a Top 100 pick to move Malik Heath off the roster?

I agree with all of this, but Worthy at 88 is value. Unfortunately, he's so fricking small I don't see us interested. If his reported 40 time, under 43, is correct, I'd be interested. 

Two guys on the field all the time running under 4.4 really stretches a defense. The Dolphins are tearing people up with their speed. 

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're going to really like Will Shipley too.

It seems like there should be RB's available that GB will like on Friday night if they are looking to add one in RD2/RD3.

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I feel like a broken record explaining this to people, but what WR on this roster are we replacing? Doubs, Wicks, Watson, Reed are all roster locks just based on economics alone. Melton has made a very good case for himself the last few weeks. That leaves WR6, and this team is probably not keeping more than 6 going into 2024. Are we really going to use a Top 100 pick to move Malik Heath off the roster?

I don't think Malik Heath is going to stop Gute from selecting a WR he likes.

• Like 4

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't think Malik Heath is going to stop Gute from selecting a WR he likes.

I don't think it's Malik Heath, I think it is more the question of where would this hypothetical draft pick get snaps? Who do you take them from and what other position am I passing up to take a guy who likely is WR #5. 

I'd think Gute would be in trade down mode myself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It seems like there should be RB's available that GB will like on Friday night if they are looking to add one in RD2/RD3.

I think we'll double dip. Take a more complete one on Friday and then a toolsy but needs work one on Day 3. Jaylen Wright on Saturday stands out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

I don't think it's Malik Heath, I think it is more the question of where would this hypothetical draft pick get snaps? Who do you take them from and what other position am I passing up to take a guy who likely is WR #5. 

Gute would never have taken Wicks if this was his thought process.

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with all of this, but Worthy at 88 is value. Unfortunately, he's so fricking small I don't see us interested. If his reported 40 time, under 43, is correct, I'd be interested. 

Two guys on the field all the time running under 4.4 really stretches a defense. The Dolphins are tearing people up with their speed. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah like you said, if Worthy is really that good, then someone else will be willing to trade into our slot to get him. I'm just saying, at pick 88 you'll most likely have someone with the same grade who fills a bigger need.

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What do you mean with this? Our roster of WRs would have been Watson, Doubs, Toure, Melton, and Reed going into day 3 of the draft, and probably didn't even have a WR6, and our WR5 was Toure. Wicks was pick 159.

This mock is talking about taking a top 100 pick to displace an even better roster of WRs. 

Edited by pgwingman

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

What do you mean with this? Our roster of WRs would have been Watson, Doubs, Toure, Melton, and Reed going into day 3 of the draft, and probably don't even have a WR6, and our WR5 was Toure. Wicks was pick 159.

This mock is talking about taking a top 100 pick to displace an even better roster of WRs. 

I mean Gute is going to take a player that he has graded for the slot if he thinks that player will improve the roster.  Fans tend to overthink this stuff.  The suggestion that Gute will pass on taking a WR in RD3 because we already have Malik Heath on the roster is not something I agree with.

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't want a WR high either.

But...value could meet draft pick with the selection of a WR.

Given how injured our WR's have been, I'll bet there would be plenty of snaps for a rookie pass catcher.

I'd be hard pressed to believe, though, that with needs on the OL, secondary and RB room that we would group guys together and still draft the WR over other positions where we need bodies more.

Fun to discuss, and I see the other side (taking a WR) but I hope we do not.  

20 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

5th rounder.

Zero issues taking one at that point in the draft.

Personally?  I have a lot of issues taking one prior to the fourth round.

I can see, though, where draft pick may meet value at WR in rounds 1-3.  I don't want it to happen, but it looks like a nice WR class.

52 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

It's a good group, but we don't really have a #1 WR that demands a lot of attention from the opposition.  Watson can be that guy, but given his injury history I think the Packers should be keeping their eyes open.   He's out of the lineup more than he is in the lineup.  The Packers are doing well in spreading the ball around, but when you face top competition you have to have players that really threaten their defense.  I'm guessing the Packers probably won't use a high pick on a WR, but I think they could use another size/speed guy in this group.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What? We had Watson and Doubs going into the draft last year. We’ve got six guys this year. Oh and he traded down 2 times to get extra picks before picking Reed. 

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's a good group, but we don't really have a #1 WR that demands a lot of attention from the opposition.  Watson can be that guy, but given his injury history I think the Packers should be keeping their eyes open.   He's out of the lineup more than he is in the lineup.  The Packers are doing well in spreading the ball around, but when you face top competition you have to have players that really threaten their defense.  I'm guessing the Packers probably won't use a high pick on a WR, but I think they could use another size/speed guy in this group.

You are right.  We do no have that #1 WR that demands a lot of attention.

Instead we have what....three?  Watson, Wicks, Reed?

I think the only reason we don't have that legit #1 is because everyone is so young.  I feel like we have 4 guys (include Doubs) who have the potential to be a legit #1.  (Though Doubs is to a lesser extent.)

I'll let time sort that all out, and it will.  And I hope to not take a WR high in the draft, but I won't complain if we do, either.

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I mean Gute is going to take a player that he has graded for the slot if he thinks that player will improve the roster.  Fans tend to overthink this stuff.  The suggestion that Gute will pass on taking a WR in RD3 because we already have Malik Heath on the roster is not something I agree with.

It's not that Heath is on the roster, it's that he's the first name on the list whose snaps are replaceable. That's not a lot of open snaps, the others have earned theirs.