The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, there is a difference.  Oregon runs an RPO-style offense while Michigan ran a pro-style offense, so yes.  It may be unfair, but when Nix ran a pro-style offense at Auburn, he just wasn't very good. 

No NFL teams throws zero passes in a half. 

• Like 1

Goessling: “They will prioritize private meetings — where they can walk a possible draft pick through their offense and immediately ask him to perform elements of it on the field — over pro days where they don’t control the script. They will use on-field mistakes to see how a QB responds to coaching, and observe a player’s interactions during on-campus lunches to gauge how he handles the spotlight inherent to the position.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/michigan-wolverines-mccarthy-nfl-draft/?fbclid=IwAR3PTfU9gC3QKrjylyeuhjKgyUNoX-BiD4wkx0d5h-mSidTx8pby7h7M3Kw

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

here's a trade idea i saw...

Arizona gets MINN #11
Minnesota gets Kyler Murray and AZ 2024 3rd round pick

This is wrong on so many levels🤑🤣🤣   

I can only presume the trade idea is that of an AZ homie   Unapologetically, we just dumped Cousins contract so why on earth would we want to absorb another QB's ridiculous contract hamstringing the Vikes worse?

Second, wouldn't this mean AZ would have picks 4, 11 and 27 in the first round?   I'm not so sure we want to give a conference foe so much opportunity for success.

Third, Kyler Murray sucks at being a professional.   Why would anyone want that cancer in their lockerroom?

• Like 5

The more I watch Penix, the more I want him. If O’ Connell’s number 1 trait that he looks for in a QB, is accuracy, then Penix makes the most sense. His injury history is a tad worrisome, and his age isn’t preferable, but his performance on the field is better than most of the QBs being discussed in the top 5. Maybe even at the top. I don’t see the greatness behind Maye or McCarthy. Or Williams for that matter. And they certainly don’t seem worth trained a 2025 first rounder to go up and get. 

I envision great things if he gets an opportunity with Jefferson and Addison.  Just wonder if we traded down, would he get past the Broncos, Giants, Raiders or Seahawks. 

Penix at 11 and DT Newton at 23 would be ideal. 

• Like 2

1) Chicago Bears (via Carolina): Caleb Williams USC JR QB
2) Washington Commanders: Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR QB
3) New England Patriots: Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH QB
4) Arizona Cardinals: Marvin Harrison Jr Ohio State RS SOPH WR
5) LA Chargers: Joe Alt Notre Dame JR OT
6) New York Giants: Rome Odunze Washington RS JR WR
7) Tennessee Titans: Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State RS JR OT
8 ) Atlanta Falcons: Dallas Turner Alabama JR DE/OLB
9) Chicago Bears: Troy Fautanu Washington RS JR OT/OG
10) New York Jets: Taliese Fuaga Oregon State JR OT/OG

This would be a really curious draft position, say the Bears got OL and get a OG or LT to help protect Williams instead of going edge because they do not have another pick till the 3rd round.  

Would be interesting, Vikings take Penix Jr or McCarthy or Jared Verse even though they have Greenard.  If Flores is all about zone blitzes, clearly Verse is not great being dropped in coverage but if they want multiple guys he would be to me the best pass rusher they have and would be better long term than Greenard.  

Would be an interesting choice, and also three premium OL who could drop do not in Fashanu, Fautanu and Fuaga would be gone so not sure OL would even be considered anymore.

Ideally Verse goes 11 and they can wait for Penix at 23 but the Raiders could grab him up if the Broncos do not but then again maybe Broncos take McCarthy or the Raiders do.  

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If they believe insert QB here is a franchise QB and he's there at 11 they aren't hoping he falls to 23, they'll take him at 11. Or at least I sure hope they would.

True but I also do not believe they should be desperate, they have Sam Darnold and saved $35 million next year in salary by paying him instead of Cousins and got basically four starters out of the deal assuming Darnold starts.

Considering how important OL is I would hope one of those big names drops and take them, but if not yes probably go QB then see what CB or DT drops to 23.  

Still just saying Verse could drop and it would be an interesting question, especially since they signed Greenard to that big deal but honestly not sure how great he will be, Verse could be an awesome pro and gets consistent quality push and is not just a bendy speed quick edge rusher, Verse has big time power.  So if the top OL are all gone, it would basically be Verse or QB as the choice.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

If they believe insert QB here is a franchise QB and he's there at 11 they aren't hoping he falls to 23, they'll take him at 11. Or at least I sure hope they would.

Agreed. 
If they guessed right and lucked out without trading up, they will take that QB at #11. 

And #23 should be best player available on the trenches. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

1) Chicago Bears (via Carolina): Caleb Williams USC JR QB
2) Washington Commanders: Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR QB
3) New England Patriots: Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH QB
4) Arizona Cardinals: Marvin Harrison Jr Ohio State RS SOPH WR
5) LA Chargers: Joe Alt Notre Dame JR OT
6) New York Giants: Rome Odunze Washington RS JR WR
7) Tennessee Titans: Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State RS JR OT
8 ) Atlanta Falcons: Dallas Turner Alabama JR DE/OLB
9) Chicago Bears: Troy Fautanu Washington RS JR OT/OG
10) New York Jets: Taliese Fuaga Oregon State JR OT/OG

This would be a really curious draft position, say the Bears got OL and get a OG or LT to help protect Williams instead of going edge because they do not have another pick till the 3rd round.  

Would be interesting, Vikings take Penix Jr or McCarthy or Jared Verse even though they have Greenard.  If Flores is all about zone blitzes, clearly Verse is not great being dropped in coverage but if they want multiple guys he would be to me the best pass rusher they have and would be better long term than Greenard.  

Would be an interesting choice, and also three premium OL who could drop do not in Fashanu, Fautanu and Fuaga would be gone so not sure OL would even be considered anymore.

Ideally Verse goes 11 and they can wait for Penix at 23 but the Raiders could grab him up if the Broncos do not but then again maybe Broncos take McCarthy or the Raiders do.  

They would take McCarthy in a heartbeat. It’s not even close. 

please stop putting Penix in the same conversation as any of the top 4 QB’s.. There is a reason why he is not in that conversation!!!! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

please stop putting Penix in the same conversation as any of the top 4 QB’s.. There is a reason why he is not in that conversation!!!! 

That's a possibility. But none of us has the inside information to know what MN really thinks about JJ.

A lot of people still see JJ as being at or near the top of the second tier of QBs in this draft, projecting his value to be that of a 2nd round pick. For all we know, MN values him as such.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

The ONLY thing keeping him out of that conversation is his (early but substantial) injury history. The age thing I just don't get. An older QB is a positive in my opinion as he's had some time to mature. QBs can play well into their 30s. He's just as talented as any of the prospects, just in some different ways. If you value a true pocket QB then he's the clear choice. I see McCarthy making more spontaneous plays outside the pocket -- and he's very good at it from what I've seen. That said Penix does a great job hanging in there, or moving up in the pocket while making plays. If I have preference of the 2 I'd take Penix. If McCarthy is the pick that's fine too. I don't think they need to trade up to get 1 of the 2.

4 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

Well I disagree with that, I think he is absolutely in that conversation and throws the football better than McCarthy does now, really a lot better than McCarthy does now.  There is no promise that just because McCarthy is younger is that he will instantly become a natural passer over time.

McCarthy as a project QB, he is not near the athlete that Josh Allen or Anthony Richardson were so not sure he is worth that high of a selection because physically he is not the running force those guys are, is not as big as those guys are and does not have the arm talent those guys have either.  Also those two in college were not on one of the most talented college football rosters in the past 10 years either, McCarthy was.

But if McCarthy is there at #11 sure he is an option, but honestly if one of those fine OL are there I would probably take them and hope Penix Jr or Nix is there at #23.  

McCarthy is no where close to as rock solid of a prospect as some make him out to be just because he was on a winning football team.  They instantly assume because he was apart of wins he was the main reason why they won, and he was not.  If he was one would not be having this conversation.  Can JJ McCarthy win football games on his arm talent alone, not so sure about that one.  But of course he would want to be drafted by Minnesota to help hide his own flaws and give him much needed time to sit and develop.  

• Like 1