The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

For that guy to say it is the best class since 2019 is totally deceptive and it is comparing the two classes so I compared them.

I don't see that statement as comparing 2024 to 2019 any deeper than its acknowledgement that the 2019 class was better.  To me, it is more a comparison of the 2024 class to the 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 classes. He thinks the 2024 class is better than those classes without making a clear determination of how it compares to the 2019 class.  I don't think I person making that statement would likely argue with someone that thought the 2019 class was better than the 2024 class.

• Like 2

He clearly indicated that it wasn't as good of a class as 2019.  The only reason to compare them would be to see how much worse than the 2019 class it is, which doesn't really tell you much of anything constructive. 

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't see that statement as comparing 2024 to 2019 any deeper than its acknowledgement that the 2019 class was better.  To me, it is more a comparison of the 2024 class to the 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 classes. He thinks the 2024 class is better than those classes without making a clear determination of how it compares to the 2019 class.  I don't think I person making that statement would likely argue with someone that thought the 2019 class was better than the 2024 class.

The 2024 class right now is not better than 2023 with Jalen Carter/Kancey/Mazi Smith/Bresee/Benton or 2022 with Jordan Davis/Devonte Wyatt/Travis Jones etc  It might be better than 2021 with Barmore/Onwuzurike/McNeill but it is not better than 2020 with Derrick Brown/Kinlaw/Raekwon Davis/Madubuike etc.  Guys like Jordan Davis and Derrick Brown, they are simply not in this current group in my opinion and no one has got to that point yet as a player.  In terms of high end proven and super promising talent not sure that is in this 2024 class.

Either way it is not a huge deal, I just found it ridiculous to think someone said that many high level 1st round talents are out there currently at DT when none of them have really shown that just yet, sure maybe one or two but four?  Madubuike and Travis Jones were both 3rd round picks and not sure any DT currently for the 2024 draft will be as good as those two have become or will be down the road.  

The 2024 class has some promising guys but again they really need to step their game up to be considered a high level elite 1st round pick.  I assume 1-3 guys will do that but not sure that has happened, especially with Maason Smith not even showing he is healthy just yet.

I disagree.  We haven't seen the 2023 class play yet, so no judgment can be made, but you are far overvaluing those 2022 and 2020 classes, which are rather underwhelming thus far.  Of the names you mentioned in the 2020 class, only Brown is any good.  The others have been terrible, injured, or underwhelming.  The same goes for the 2022 class with Jordan Davis (but check back with me even on him when he starts playing more than a handful of snaps a game).  The discussion is about depth of talent, not the top of the talent...because none of those classes have any depth, which automatically means that the 2024 class can likely be in the discussion...certainly we have no idea whether there will be any depth to it, but I believe it's already clear that there's no depth to the 2020, 21 and 22 classes. 

USC QB Caleb Williams could stay in school for his senior year if he doesn’t like the teams sitting atop the 2024 NFL Draft, according to his father Carl Williams:

"The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he'd almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. “The system is completely backwards. The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation. The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league—because of their desire for parity—gets the first pick. So it's the gift and the curse. I mean, I've talked to Archie Manning—his career was shot because he went to a horrible organization. I've talked to Lincoln [Riley], and Kyler [Murray] struggled because of where he was drafted. Baker [Mayfield] struggled mightily because of where he was drafted. The organizations matter. He's got two shots at the apple. So if there's not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school."

Profootballchase.com

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

USC QB Caleb Williams could stay in school for his senior year if he doesn’t like the teams sitting atop the 2024 NFL Draft, according to his father Carl Williams:

"The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he'd almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. “The system is completely backwards. The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation. The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league—because of their desire for parity—gets the first pick. So it's the gift and the curse. I mean, I've talked to Archie Manning—his career was shot because he went to a horrible organization. I've talked to Lincoln [Riley], and Kyler [Murray] struggled because of where he was drafted. Baker [Mayfield] struggled mightily because of where he was drafted. The organizations matter. He's got two shots at the apple. So if there's not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school."

Profootballchase.com

The Colts had been a middling team for 20 years...then they drafted Archie Manning's son.  How did that work out?  While an organization does matter to a degree, it's a cop-out to blame them for your lack of success.  As I'm not sure Archie's other son would have a significantly different career in San Diego as he did in New York.  And let's not even get into Cincinnati, which has been an abomination of an organization since Paul Brown died...yet, they get Joe Burrow and now they're a SB contender every year.     

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The prospective top player says that nearly every year. Yet, I can't remember them following through with it.

Even with the NIL money (C. Williams getting $2.6M this year I think) you'd have to be pretty foolish to pass on going top 5 in the draft.

Top 5 picks in 2023 had an average signing bonus of $22.474M.

5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Even with the NIL money (C. Williams getting $2.6M this year I think) you'd have to be pretty foolish to pass on going top 5 in the draft.

Top 5 picks in 2023 had an average signing bonus of $22.474M.

He’s never going to make enough NIL money to make up for a year worth of lost NFL wages. 

Waiting another year means it’s one more year to wait before a 2nd contract. That’s a ton of money to leave on the table. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s never going to make enough NIL money to make up for a year worth of lost NFL wages. 

Waiting another year means it’s one more year to wait before a 2nd contract. That’s a ton of money to leave on the table. 

I'm agreeing with you?

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder how much he got paid by Wendy's, since I just saw him on a commercial, along with Matt Leinart.

Early on Jer'Zhan Newton does actually look like he could be well worth a 1st round pick.  Showed great motor against Kansas running down plays and showing much improved conditioning, got some great pressure and sacks in the game.  Good at getting off blocks and getting after the passer, could be a 4/3 DT or a 3/4 DE, compact and powerful and uses his hands well.  Mind you in the run game he did get washed out a lot and out of position, the Illinois defense gave up well over 500 yards of offense and on the ground over 260 yards at a 6 yards per carry clip so there is that.  

The rest of those DTs is very much to be determined.  

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic