The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think he's QB3 for now. I have him stuck with McCarthy and Sanders.

Drake Maye isn't lighting it up though so far. What's up with that?

He's a tools guy. Teams aren't going to look at his college production as much as what they see in his traits. Much like Trubisky and Daniel Jones before him. It's hard to project a guy like Maye based on stats because his supporting cast isn't the same as guys like Caleb Williams, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, etc. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I became a big Quinn Ewers fan last night. His skill set always intrigued me, but watching his composure against Alabama, in Alabama was very impressive. 

In many ways he reminds me Case Keenum, but with high level arm strength. 

Yep, he’s my guy. Love to see him in purple next year. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 11:42 AM, AP_allday2869 said:

I would love Ewers in purple after watching his game last night. This will be a really good year to draft a quarterback. Even if we don't get Williams, there are plenty of great options for KOC to get his hands on and develop.

Agreed, if there is any year to move on from Kirk it is this 2024 draft.

Ewers I would not mind and have him currently going to Minnesota with the 14th pick.  

Odd thing is a guy like Sam Hartman, could he in a short amount of time do almost exactly what Kirk Cousins is doing?  I would say yes, very similar skill sets and not sure Hartman would be a 1st rounder with the depth of the QB class.  Could argue Devin Leary might be able to as well but the nod would go to Hartman right now as to who might be better.  Ewers has more arm talent than either one but might be gone if he has a great year and with Texas being so loaded they might have a great year and easily go to the Playoff.

Could also argue Will Rogers and Grayson McCall could have similar success in the league but it is more of a long shot with them and more development.  And with Van Dyke playing so great he could be pretty solid as a mid tear QB with great passing touch and accuracy.  

The options are endless, just a matter of who they want.  But a guy like Joe Milton not sure the Vikings go for him, he might be too raw honestly and Jayden Daniels might be too much of a run first QB who scrambles too often.  Cam Rising could be awesome but still is hurt currently.  JJ McCarthy is more tall and athletic but a little odd in his release at times and not sure I would say he is super accurate.

Will be curious if the Vikings want a QB like Kirk Cousins or if they go in a different more dynamic direction.  Having a QB with running ability would be great no doubt about it.  Jordan Travis could be one like that but not sure he is accurate enough as a passer, same with Bo Nix.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

could you please rank the top 8 or 12 QB's coming in to the next draft?

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Quinn Ewers Texas RS SOPH
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS SR
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Shedeur Sanders Colorado JR
Riley Leonard Duke JR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS SR
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS SR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS SR
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS SR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR
Tyler Van Dyke Miami FL RS JR
Devin Leary Kentucky RS SR
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS SR
Bo Nix Oregon RS SR
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State SR
Cameron Rising Utah RS SR
Will Rogers Miss State SR
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS SR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS SR

Maybe this currently but still too early to tell really on Sanders, Leonard and maybe Van Dyke.  Not even sure McCarthy will declare but depends on if they win the Big one or not as Michigan.  And it is nuts because there are another 5-10 QBs who would normally be drafted that might not be with this type of QB depth available but then again maybe guys will return with the NIL money around.  Maybe Uiagalelei comes back, or Rising, or Van Dyke or even Leonard etc

If a team is that desperate like maybe Minnesota possibly they could even draft two QBs in this draft no doubt about it.

• Like 1

I like Nix a bit more than that, but I get that he’s older.

that’s generally what most QB prospect lists look like. Williams and Maye at the top with another 3-7 guys that could all work their way into being the 3rd QB. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 5 QBs in the first round this year.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:22 PM, JDBrocks said:

I like Nix a bit more than that, but I get that he’s older.

that’s generally what most QB prospect lists look like. Williams and Maye at the top with another 3-7 guys that could all work their way into being the 3rd QB. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 5 QBs in the first round this year.

I had Nix way higher than that but with how well Van Dyke has looked, and Leary is probably a better pure passer and KJ Jefferson no question has more arm talent and Daniels has more upside and Hartman no question has out performed him this year and Travis is probably a better leader and competitor and Milton just has flat out higher upside and arm talent as well.

Nix is good just seems he needs a gimmicky offense with a lot of motion and jet sweeps and RPO for him to be successful as a passer.  A lot of those early years on Auburn it is like what the hell, he was very unproductive when potentially I thought he would have done way better.

Will be interesting how he does in the totally stacked Pac-12 this year.  But yes maybe I underrate him a bit on this list but it is a pretty big crap shoot once you get past the top three.  

I currently have 4 QBs first round, Arizona, Las Vegas, Minnesota and Seattle.  Possibly Washington would but with how Howell has played I doubt it, maybe Tampa but again with Mayfield who knows if he plays like he did last weekend consistently.  Falcons maybe but maybe not if they have a good year and Packers who knows if Love is as good as he was week one.  

Crazy thing is unless something changes a lot of teams will only be looking for backup QBs.  Especially if Mayfield, Ridder, Jimmy G, Howell, Geno Smith etc do well this year.  Great again for the Vikings because really the QB space in the NFL is pretty full in terms of quality starters, so yeah backup and developmental is the only thing needed and even those spots are limited.  

• Like 1