The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Nwangwu is a Pro Bowler at a position that has been made irrelevant.  That's not a factor in my eyes.  If he can't be competent at the position on the field, they can find someone else to stand back there, since that's all it is now.  

Sure, but the point is Nwangwu has at least shown on field competence of some kind. 

the RB battle will be the most interesting one in camp, imo. CB a close second, but in a really different way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm definitely a fan. Maye and Williams are the prizes of this draft, but I think one of Ewers, McCarthy or Nix will really shine and be QB3.

I don't care for Michael Penix. I wouldn't draft him before the 4th at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I have currently for the Vikings 2024 draft.  Maybe they will have a great year but with so many superior rosters around the league not sure they will be much better than middle of the pack.  That could help though in the draft and they should be poised to get a QB 1st round and a decent one.

2024 NFL Draft

1st
14) Minnesota Vikings: Quinn Ewers Texas RS SOPH QB

2nd
46) Minnesota Vikings: Cooper Beebe Kansas State RS SR OG

4th
109) Minnesota Vikings: Brennan Jackson Washington State RS SR DE
116) Minnesota Vikings (via Detroit): Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M RS JR ILB

5th
138) Minnesota Vikings (via Cleveland): Zeke Correll Notre Dame SR C 
158) Minnesota Vikings (via Kansas City): Jacob Cowing Arizona SR WR

6th
173) Cam Allen Purdue RS SR S

Originally I thought Ewers would not declare but Texas does have a some what light schedule compared to SEC teams and the kid does have moxie, he should have a great season and he clearly has elite level arm talent.  Penix Jr is another option but is very frail and has a bad injury history and currently is with a coordinator and coach that gets him, not sure he would have that success without him as his coach but we will see if he can keep up that level of play.  Jordan Travis is another option but with how Ponder turned out for the Vikings not sure they take him, he is a dual threat guy big time and could be very good, has really developed as a passer but not as high end as Ewers is.  And depending on the seasons they have Rattler could jump into 1st round consideration and so could Jayden Daniels or Devin Leary, or they could fall to the 2nd or 3rd.   Or they could wait and get a guy like Rising, Hartman, McCall etc later and see who falls because some will, but athletically and arm talent wise they are a little too similar to Kirk Cousins and I would want a bit more potential than that.  Kirk has absolutely maximized his ability considering his limitations, not sure those others guys could even get close to that so the talent level does need to take up a notch to make up for some other things.  They could also get a guy like Will Rogers who is getting lost in the mess of QBs and he could be a great value potentially.

So as of right now that could be ideal getting Ewers.  Either way if there is a season to move on from Kirk and draft his replacement, this year is it with this deep QB group with tons of options.  

For example the 2021 draft which was very deep at QB, Kellen Mond was the 7th QB drafted, one of the top ones after the big 5, with that track record and his physical skills he showed, not sure Mond would be the 14th or 15th guy drafted if he was in the class.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

1st

Gabe Brooks, National Scouting Analyst

PROJECTION
Round 1,Top 10

COMPARISON
Philip Rivers

Good height with a plus frame. Pro-style QB with athleticism and mobility that qualify for a dual-threat label. Elite improvisational QB who can extend plays and remain accurate on the move. Throws with a smooth, easy delivery and varies arm angles as needed. Impressive velocity and spin rate really show on routes over the middle and down the seams. Field-stretching vertical arm strength to consistently hit big plays over the top. Also shows encouraging touch on timing patterns and downfield routes that require it. Good runner by design or scramble. Understands how to protect himself as a runner and minimize shots. Shows encouraging pocket presence and awareness. Senses pressure and knows how to react to it. Also willing to stand and deliver under duress and will take a big shot if it means hanging in there to make the necessary throw. Occasionally will take risks, but that also is part of what makes him so good. Release quickness is good in general but could still quicken a bit at times. Elite QB prospect at the top of the 2022 cycle, at his position and across the board. Future impact high-major starter with long-term potential to be taken high in the NFL Draft.

https://247sports.com/Player/Quinn-Ewers-45572600/

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Rattler looks like a UDFA to me. I don't get the hype.

What?  He beat Clemson on the road and broke their 40 game home win streak, passed for 360 yards and 2 TDs, also almost beat a very good Notre Dame team in the bowl game and beat Tennessee with a great game 6 TDs and 438 yards passing.  As a true SOPH at OU had 247 yards and 3 RDs against a good Florida team in the Cotton Bowl and a win against Texas in 4 OTs that same year...

Sure he is up and down and currently I have him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he has talent and can sling the football.  Absolutely zero chance he is a UDFA.  What he did at the end of last year was outstanding, sure in the middle was so so but seems to have got his confidence back and is with a solid program and a up and coming head coach.  Would be shocked if he takes a step back this year.  

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Gabe Brooks, National Scouting Analyst

PROJECTION
Round 1,Top 10

COMPARISON
Philip Rivers

Good height with a plus frame. Pro-style QB with athleticism and mobility that qualify for a dual-threat label. Elite improvisational QB who can extend plays and remain accurate on the move. Throws with a smooth, easy delivery and varies arm angles as needed. Impressive velocity and spin rate really show on routes over the middle and down the seams. Field-stretching vertical arm strength to consistently hit big plays over the top. Also shows encouraging touch on timing patterns and downfield routes that require it. Good runner by design or scramble. Understands how to protect himself as a runner and minimize shots. Shows encouraging pocket presence and awareness. Senses pressure and knows how to react to it. Also willing to stand and deliver under duress and will take a big shot if it means hanging in there to make the necessary throw. Occasionally will take risks, but that also is part of what makes him so good. Release quickness is good in general but could still quicken a bit at times. Elite QB prospect at the top of the 2022 cycle, at his position and across the board. Future impact high-major starter with long-term potential to be taken high in the NFL Draft.

https://247sports.com/Player/Quinn-Ewers-45572600/

That is an awful comparison, Rivers was what 6-5, super vocal and competitive with that awkward release.  Ewers is shorter, not as vocal or outwardly competitive at the moment, not that odd release either, terrible comparison.  Not sure the comp for Ewers, but he is closer to Baker Mayfield in how he throws and physically what they are like but is not the same as a prospect, Mayfield was a walk on, Ewers super hyped up QB prospect, went to Ohio State early but left, then Texas and now competes again against Arch a super highly rated QB.  To me does have more arm talent than Baker but is not as accomplished in terms of big wins, we will see if that changes this year.  Who knows, high side Russell Wilson, low side Matt Barkley but is still too early to tell.  I know for a fact though he is not 6-5.  

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

listed as 6-2 and 204.

They usually lie on height so he is probably more like 6-1 or 6-0.  And Phillip Rivers again is 6-5 230, for for that dude to say that well it is a terrible comparison in any way you look at it.  

On 7/29/2023 at 10:32 AM, Ozzy said:

What?  He beat Clemson on the road and broke their 40 game home win streak, passed for 360 yards and 2 TDs, also almost beat a very good Notre Dame team in the bowl game and beat Tennessee with a great game 6 TDs and 438 yards passing.  As a true SOPH at OU had 247 yards and 3 RDs against a good Florida team in the Cotton Bowl and a win against Texas in 4 OTs that same year...

Sure he is up and down and currently I have him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he has talent and can sling the football.  Absolutely zero chance he is a UDFA.  What he did at the end of last year was outstanding, sure in the middle was so so but seems to have got his confidence back and is with a solid program and a up and coming head coach.  Would be shocked if he takes a step back this year.  

That is an awful comparison, Rivers was what 6-5, super vocal and competitive with that awkward release.  Ewers is shorter, not as vocal or outwardly competitive at the moment, not that odd release either, terrible comparison.  Not sure the comp for Ewers, but he is closer to Baker Mayfield in how he throws and physically what they are like but is not the same as a prospect, Mayfield was a walk on, Ewers super hyped up QB prospect, went to Ohio State early but left, then Texas and now competes again against Arch a super highly rated QB.  To me does have more arm talent than Baker but is not as accomplished in terms of big wins, we will see if that changes this year.  Who knows, high side Russell Wilson, low side Matt Barkley but is still too early to tell.  I know for a fact though he is not 6-5.  

The comparison of Ewers to Rivers came out of high school because of his side-arm throw tendencies as well (not because of height).  While it's not awkward like Rivers, it is also a side-arm throw and it's been a frequent comparison, that guy is not the only one to mention it.  But at least he didn't compare him to Mahomes, who also throw it side-arm a lot.  😂

FWIW, I've never been a fan of Rattler, even when he was projected as a top-10 draft pick a year or 2 ago.  I don't like him because he's far too inconsistent for me, but I do agree that he'll probably be a 2nd-3rd rd pick next year...with the depth at QB, probably more likely the 3rd. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 7:42 AM, Ozzy said:

Here is what I have currently for the Vikings 2024 draft.  Maybe they will have a great year but with so many superior rosters around the league not sure they will be much better than middle of the pack.  That could help though in the draft and they should be poised to get a QB 1st round and a decent one.

2024 NFL Draft

1st

2nd
46) Minnesota Vikings: Cooper Beebe Kansas State RS SR OG

4th
109) Minnesota Vikings: Brennan Jackson Washington State RS SR DE
116) Minnesota Vikings (via Detroit): Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M RS JR ILB

5th
138) Minnesota Vikings (via Cleveland): Zeke Correll Notre Dame SR C 
158) Minnesota Vikings (via Kansas City): Jacob Cowing Arizona SR WR

6th
173) Cam Allen Purdue RS SR S

Originally I thought Ewers would not declare but Texas does have a some what light schedule compared to SEC teams and the kid does have moxie, he should have a great season and he clearly has elite level arm talent.  Penix Jr is another option but is very frail and has a bad injury history and currently is with a coordinator and coach that gets him, not sure he would have that success without him as his coach but we will see if he can keep up that level of play.  Jordan Travis is another option but with how Ponder turned out for the Vikings not sure they take him, he is a dual threat guy big time and could be very good, has really developed as a passer but not as high end as Ewers is.  And depending on the seasons they have Rattler could jump into 1st round consideration and so could Jayden Daniels or Devin Leary, or they could fall to the 2nd or 3rd.   Or they could wait and get a guy like Rising, Hartman, McCall etc later and see who falls because some will, but athletically and arm talent wise they are a little too similar to Kirk Cousins and I would want a bit more potential than that.  Kirk has absolutely maximized his ability considering his limitations, not sure those others guys could even get close to that so the talent level does need to take up a notch to make up for some other things.  They could also get a guy like Will Rogers who is getting lost in the mess of QBs and he could be a great value potentially.

So as of right now that could be ideal getting Ewers.  Either way if there is a season to move on from Kirk and draft his replacement, this year is it with this deep QB group with tons of options.  

For example the 2021 draft which was very deep at QB, Kellen Mond was the 7th QB drafted, one of the top ones after the big 5, with that track record and his physical skills he showed, not sure Mond would be the 14th or 15th guy drafted if he was in the class.  

I’m definitely keeping my on Ewers this year. He’s my choice for the Vikings this upcoming draft. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

USC quarterback Caleb Williams is widely regarded as the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NFL draft, but he says he hasn’t decided whether he’ll enter the draft in five months or not. Williams said the draft is something he’ll decide at the time, which is in January, and not right now, as he enters his third and perhaps final college season.

Williams:  “That’s for sure now going to be an in-the-moment decision at the end of the year. It’s my third year, and the dream and goal was to go three-and-out. Being around these guys and in college and enjoying it, we’ll have to see at the end of this year.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/caleb-williams-says-he-has-not-decided-whether-to-enter-the-2024-nfl-draft

• Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic