The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

18 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think he was just going through a tough time. He was a freshman sensation, that got replaced by another freshman sensation the very next year. That’s an extremely rare scenario. I think him being the starting QB at two different schools is equivalent to him winning over the locker room. If the guys in the locker room didn’t like him, he wouldn’t be on the team. Again he’s only 22 years old and he’s still a kid. I wouldn’t overlook his talent and potential, even if he’s a bit odd or has a fiery personality. I actually want my QB to have a fiery personality. Sometimes that’s what gets the players going. 

I think Christian Ponder tried the whole "fiery personality" thing and it was very off putting when he came to Minnesota.

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Christian Ponder tried the whole "fiery personality" thing and it was very off putting when he came to Minnesota.

I don't recall Ponder ever having a fiery personality at any point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Hasn't Bo Nix been in college for like 6 years?😉

Again, while not nearly as bad as Hendon Hooker, you're going to run into the same issues of age, as he'll be 24 by the time he's drafted.  How much upside does he have?  At least right now, I don't really have the same amount of concerns as Hooker, because he actually was productive at Auburn as well, and didn't just come out of the woodworks at Oregon. 

Yeah - the age thing with Hooker was only one piece. Nix played competitive football in the SEC as a true freshman against players older than him, has been good and shown improvement in two non-mickey mouse offenses, and hopefully won't have a torn ACL by the end of the season. Nix's development has been easy to follow and is more projectable in coming to the NFL.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'll look for the article that came out a few years ago...

I'm interested in this, too. If anything, I thought the perception was that he wasn't demanding or assertive enough. I recall people talking about how he was too nice, and didn't command respect like most QB leaders do.

QB and DL.....QB and DL.......I think they have a good shot at 11-12 wins again....The real unknown is Kirk's status. So if they need a QB, they'll need to trade up pretty far, I think. 

Edited by PrplChilPill

28 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

QB and DL.....QB and DL.......I think they have a good shot at 11-12 wins again....The real unknown is Kirk's status. So if they need a QB, they'll need to trade up pretty far, I think. 

Yes.  As we look to the 2024 draft, here are the current Vikings that, as of today, are projected to be free agents in 2024:

QB: Kirk Cousins

WR: KJ Osborn, Jalen Reagor, Brandon Powell

TE: TJ Hockenson, Johnny Mundt, Ben Ellefson

OL: Ezra Cleveland, Oli Udoh, Chris Reed, Austin Schlottman, Blake Brandel, Josh Sokol

DL: Marcus Davenport, Jonathan Bullard, Ross Blacklock, James Lynch, Kenny Willekes, Khyris Tonga

LB: Danielle Hunter, DJ Wonnum, Jordan Hicks, Troy Reeder, Troy Dye

CB: Joejuan Williams, Tay Gowan, Theo Jackson

S: Josh Metellus

K: Greg Joseph

So, what that tells me, is that we should be looking at QB, IOL, DL and Edge especially for the draft next year, and secondarily, look at WR and TE. 

• Like 1

21. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: QB QUINN EWERS, TEXAS

Ewers disappointed in his first season as a starter after being one of the highest-rated quarterback recruits ever. He still flashed his ridiculous arm talent, as his 6.6% big-time throw rate ranked sixth among Power Five quarterbacks. The issue is his decision-making and accuracy. Ewers’ 65.2% adjusted completion rate was the eighth-worst in the Power Five. If he can rein it in, Ewers can join Caleb Williams and Drake Maye at the top of the draft. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-way-too-early-2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-and-marvin-harrison-jr-land-in-arizona-colts-grab-joe-alt

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Ewers is going to be a very interesting player to watch this year. He showed flashes that should have a lot of Texas fans excited. But he’s going to have an immense amount of pressure to perform with football’s anointed one sitting behind him. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't recall Ponder ever having a fiery personality at any point. 

I also don’t ever recall Ponder having the arm talent or dual threat ability that Rattler has. His journey reminds me more of Jalen Hurts but Rattler has an even better arm. Tua replaced Hurts and forced Hurts to enter the transfer portal in order to be a starter again. Same thing with the Rattler and Caleb Williams situation. I think that’s what Rattler needed in order to be a future starting QB in the NFL. The way that he finished last year, I’m intrigued to see what he can do this year for South Carolina. 

Edited by Purplepride323

17 - MINNESOTA VIKINGS: OHIO STATE DE JACK SAWYER

Here's the other Ohio State pass rusher to keep an eye on.  He's listed at 6-4 and around 265 pounds, so he has the size and athletic ability.  Sawyer just needs to put it all together for us to be talking about him in this range next year.

https://nfltraderumors.co/way-too-early-2024-mock-draft/

18. Minnesota Vikings: Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois

At 6 feet 3 and 295 pounds, Newton is a quick upfield penetrator with athletic twitch and a relentless play style. If he can improve his snap anticipation, he should be even more productive as a fourth-year player in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4477888/2023/05/02/nfl-mock-draft-2024-caleb-williams/?access_token=595014

For those that care, he had Gophers' S Tyler Nubin going to the Chiefs with the last pick in the 1st round. 

Edited by swede700

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic