The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

10 hours ago, vikes635 said:

IMO, Do what ever it takes to land Drake Maye... assuming we find a way to rule Hall out as our future franchise QB.

It's way too early for me to make a judgment, however, I certainly hope he's a better prospect than the other Tar Heels we've seen, most notably Mitch Trubisky. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It's way too early for me to make a judgment, however, I certainly hope he's a better prospect than the other Tar Heels we've seen, most notably Mitch Trubisky. 

I don't think Trubisky was ever the passer that Maye already is. There will also be more tape on Maye than there was on Mitch, since he only started one season. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Cardinals are on track to be among one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. Their handling of the cap consequences of the decision to release receiver DeAndre Hopkins shows they’re willing to embrace the suck. So if the Cardinals (or the Texans, whose first-round pick the Cardinals own) end up earning the first overall pick in the draft, the Cardinals could be inclined to move on from quarterback Kyler Murray and select USC quarterback Caleb Williams.

But what if Williams isn’t interested in playing for the Cardinals? The franchise has made more than a few headlines in recent months, from their Bart Simpson-style NFLPA report card to the arbitration claim filed by former executive Terry McDonough to the shameful response to it to the Jonathan Gannon tampering fiasco to the general sense of malaise around the team, new uniforms or not.

From Williams’s perspective, he’s making pretty good NIL money at USC. He doesn’t have to declare for the draft in 2024. And he could make it clear to the Cardinals that he just won’t do it if they’re going to be the team in position to pick him. He also could simply refuse to play for them, living off his NIL money for a year and re-entering the draft.

Regardless, the new reality of the NCAA gives high-end players power unlike any they have ever had. Williams could be the first one to use that power, and the Cardinals could be the first team that power is used against.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/31/what-if-caleb-williams-refuses-to-play-for-the-cardinals/

@Heimdallr

Elite quarterbacks and dynamic edge rushers could make up one-third of the first round in the 2024 NFL Draft. We're expecting another run on quarterbacks inside the top 10 with USC's Caleb Williams and UNC's Drake Maye battling for top billing under center. Coming out of this year's NFL Draft, Alabama and Georgia led college football in total NFL Draft picks, followed by Michigan, Ohio State and several other contenders. The Crimson Tide, Bulldogs and Buckeyes once again flex the most draft-ready talent heading into the 2023 season with a dozen possible first-round picks coming from that trio.

There's a chance the Arizona Cardinals have the top two picks in next year's cycle after getting Houston's top pick following a trade earlier this spring and if that happens, the franchise will be able to do what it wants — at any position. Something to keep in mind is quarterback Kyler Murray recently signed an extension through the 2028 season, so there could be a blockbuster trade in his future if Arizona wants USC's Caleb Williams.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2024-NFL-Mock-Draft-Alabama-Ohio-State-Georgia-dominate-first-round-projection-211003197/?~=1&fbclid=IwAR1X5sLlSl0HAZ8hquiJh7uGqNBDwdPqrJ-pxiriQmRATjitrwxpOVWsY1g

After this past draft, I wonder when Kwesi will swap out the scouting department. It's Rick's staff and if the drafted prospects struggle again will he make a change? While we knew Rick was heavy in the scouting, typically making that decision the staff still have his values and principles on prospects. 

13 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

After this past draft, I wonder when Kwesi will swap out the scouting department. It's Rick's staff and if the drafted prospects struggle again will he make a change? While we knew Rick was heavy in the scouting, typically making that decision the staff still have his values and principles on prospects. 

I'm shocked there hasn't been more turnover. Quite.

1 minute ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Most changes have already been made, and were made last year. 

By and large, pro scouts are pro scouts. There’s a fairly universal way of scouting within the NFL.

It isn’t until you get to the evaluators, ie the general manager, the coaches, the directors of player/college personnel where you get into seeing who, and how players fit into your respective teams. 

• Like 3

On 4/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, JDBrocks said:

This class does seem to have a lot of high ceiling QBs.

Williams
Maye
Penix
Ewers
Nix

All of these guys stand out to me as potential first rounders.

I actually really like Bo Nix as a fit for the Vikings.

Have you watched Bo Nix? Lol. 

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic