The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

No matter how Cousins performs this year, he has the freedom to entertain free agency next market, which puts the Vikings in a precarious situation entering the 2024 offseason. KSTP’s Darren Wolfson noted that the amount of homework the Vikings did on the 2023 quarterback class was the most the organization had done since drafting Teddy Bridgewater in 2014. Finding their new franchise quarterback is a high priority for the new regime.

For those reasons, Pro Football Focus’ Dalton Wasserman suggested Minnesota keep an eye on Oregon quarterback Bo Nix this upcoming season as the dual-threat Ducks gunslinger expects to be one of the 2024 draft class’s prized prospects:

“While the defense certainly needs more resources allocated in its direction, the Vikings can’t ignore the fact that Kirk Cousins will be 35 this season and is entering a contract year. The Vikings most likely won’t be bad enough to enter the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, so someone like Oregon’s Bo Nix could be an option later in the first round. Nix is a solid rhythm passer who gets rid of the ball quickly and does some of his best work on the move. He offers more mobility than Cousins to run Kevin O’Connell’s outside zone/boot system. Nix is considered a Heisman dark horse and could vault himself into the first round with another big year at Oregon.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/bo-nix-nfl-draft-kirk-cousins/?fbclid=IwAR0yIzRKBUjmKWDljeMq5z_5YHXPfoz4nuwES7f8mlhbU1sIBpmcJuYM4cU

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

ESPN should have retired Mel Kiper and moved McShay into the role of familiar face, and let Matt Miller and Jordan Reid become the heavy lifters and new faces of the NFL draft portion of ESPN.

It wouldn't surprise me if they asked him if he was ready to retire first, but when he said no, they moved on from McShay.  He's pretty much in Chris Berman category now and gets to determine when he's done, no matter how bad he's gotten. 

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they asked him if he was ready to retire first, but when he said no, they moved on from McShay.  He's pretty much in Chris Berman category now and gets to determine when he's done, no matter how bad he's always been. 

FIFY

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I suppose you could say that, but he was the first...and he was right about the Colts in the mid 90s.  🤣

It's unfortunate that, right after I wrote this, we find out that the brother of the guy who Kiper ripped (Bill Tobin) died, former Cardinals HC Vince Tobin. 

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

ESPN should have retired Mel Kiper and moved McShay into the role of familiar face, and let Matt Miller and Jordan Reid become the heavy lifters and new faces of the NFL draft portion of ESPN.

Matt Miller and Jordan Reid?  Ewww 

Louis Riddick is better than both of them hands down and has actual NFL experience as a player and as a personnel guy at a high level, and McShay is way better than either one as well.  Why get rid of Kiper if he still likes it, but to replace McShay for Matt Miller is pretty sad, I never found Miller all that interesting to listen to live honestly, but maybe McShay was sick of doubling as a sideline guy during college football games.

In terms of 2024 draft, Vikings could easily be going for a OLB or DE edge guy, with Hunter potentially out if he is not traded soon, then Davenport is up for a new contract and so is Wonnum.

Unless some guys move up and standout, the group of edge rushers at the moment does not look super strong.  Outside of Verse and Dallas Turner it is a weak group.

Bralen Trice Washington JR DE
Keith Randolph Jr Illinois RS JR DE/DT
Richard Jibunor Troy RS SR DE/OLB
Tyler Batty BYU JR DE
Reggie Grimes Oklahoma SR DE
Brennan Jackson Washington State RS SR DE
Xavier Thomas Clemson RS SR DE
Fadil Diggs Texas A&M RS JR DE
Darian Varner Wisconsin RS JR DE/OLB
Adisa Isaac Penn State RS SR DE
Gabe Hall Baylor RS SR DE
Zion Tupuola-Fetui Washington RS SR OLB

Grimes could really rise if he lives up to his potential, dude is a great athlete, Jibunor has a super high upside and if he is more productive could sneak into the 2nd or 1st round.   Diggs is super talented as well just needs to take the next step and Thomas is very good but is always hurt.  Zion could be great but not sure he will get back to what he was a few years ago after the injury.  Varner is a sleeper for sure, very slippery and will be interesting how he does on Wisconsin against better competition.  

I see the Vikings adding another RB to the group in the next draft.  Nwangwu, I'm on verge of thinking he's gone at the end of training camp...while they likely won't go the season with just 3 RBs, there's plenty of depth out there in the FA market if the need arises.  So, they'll go into the '24 season with Mattison being in the last year of his deal and Chandler still needing to show that he's more than just another Joe Banyard or Albert Young.  Maybe they can bring Bucky Irving back to Minnesota.  🤣

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I see the Vikings adding another RB to the group in the next draft.  Nwangwu, I'm on verge of thinking he's gone at the end of training camp...while they likely won't go the season with just 3 RBs, there's plenty of depth out there in the FA market if the need arises.  So, they'll go into the '24 season with Mattison being in the last year of his deal and Chandler still needing to show that he's more than just another Joe Banyard or Albert Young.  Maybe they can bring Bucky Irving back to Minnesota.  🤣

I think they’d move on from Chandler before Nwangwu. Nwangwu is a pro bowl player and Chandler has 6 carries and is only 3 months younger than Nwangwu.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think they’d move on from Chandler before Nwangwu. Nwangwu is a pro bowl player and Chandler has 6 carries and is only 3 months younger than Nwangwu.

Nwangwu is a Pro Bowler at a position that has been made irrelevant.  That's not a factor in my eyes.  If he can't be competent at the position on the field, they can find someone else to stand back there, since that's all it is now.  

• Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic