2023 Special Teams, will it be a yea or nay year...?

vike daddy

Not that it matters since we're already at $27M in dead money for 2023 but...

cutting Jalen Reagor adds $2.419M to that number and frees up $0 cap space.

cutting Powell would be $275k/$817.5k

I would think that Reagor and Nailor are fighting for WR4 and 5.  Pretty wide open after that for WR6 and beyond. The more they can show on special teams the better.

• Like 1

Kicker
K1: Greg Joseph
K2: Jack Podlesny

Punter
P1: Ryan Wright

Long Snapper
LS: Andrew DePaola

Kick Returner
KR1: Kene Nwangwu
KR2: K.J. Osborn
KR3: Malik Knowles

Punt Returner
PR1: Jalen Reagor
PR2: Brandon Powell
PR3: Jordan Addison

Commentary, Concern, and Scrutiny:

Somewhat overlooked, the special teams have a ton of room to improve. There were the lapses in coverage, Kene Nwangwu’s step back, the blocked punt, the inconsistent field goal kicking, and the near non-existent punt returns.

Of course, it wasn’t all doom and gloom. Nwangwu did have a kickoff return TD, Greg Joseph was erratic except for in the clutch, and the punting was mostly strong. Oh, and Andrew DePaola finished as the first-team All Pro at long snapper. 

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/vikings-analysis/the-complete-vikings/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I'd like to think the ST will continue to roll.   The only weak spot last year was Joseph missing extra points . . . When that happened early in a game, it seemed to be a huge psychological let down.  

Wright punted phenomenally last year and the coverage team did well.   

I think the gunners will be new guys, so hopefully they'll do great things.  

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kick Returner
KR1: Kene Nwangwu
KR2: K.J. Osborn
KR3: Malik Knowles

Punt Returner
PR1: Jalen Reagor
PR2: Brandon Powell
PR3: Jordan Addison

I know they're #2 and #3, right now at the KR/PR positions but I want nothing to do with our #2 and #3 WRs playing those spots.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greg Joseph and Jack Podlesny followed their successful scrimmage kicks to cap the situational drills with strong showing during a field goal period.

Joseph was true for all six of his kicks. He opened from the extra point distance (33 yards) before stepping back for kicks from 40, 43, 46, 48 and 51. Podlesny followed suit after opening from the extra point distance by firing true from 40, 45, 48 and 51.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-depth-charges-otas?fbclid=IwAR3Q86RQ_zZxsKqwJMvrN5Y3RsFXKSM-BqIHsk3laBnibPNDNNOXxrCHU30

Edited by vike daddy

On 5/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, VikeManDan said:

Not that it matters since we're already at $27M in dead money for 2023 but...

cutting Jalen Reagor adds $2.419M to that number and frees up $0 cap space.

cutting Powell would be $275k/$817.5k

I would think that Reagor and Nailor are fighting for WR4 and 5.  Pretty wide open after that for WR6 and beyond. The more they can show on special teams the better.

Raeger does almost nothing well at this point. I'd let him go and not worry a bit. They have room to eat his salary. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Raeger does almost nothing well at this point. I'd let him go and not worry a bit. They have room to eat his salary. 

I almost consider him as the modern-day Troy Williamson.  He's got speed, but that's all he's shown at this point. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We'll know soon enough if McCardell was able to work his magic with him. After JJ, Addison, KJ, and Nailor the rest of the WR spots are very much up for grabs. I won't be upset if they move on at all.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If only ISM worked out!

We wouldn't have had to spend extra draft capital for a player who could've produced similar results to what Reagor did last season.

He did work out...for us in the Bears' game when he got robbed "by a thief in the night"...and then he got a ring! 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

The kicker position is a very fluid position in general. How things have been handled for the Vikings is the epitome of just that. Greg Joseph has been an average kicker, but that’s just it. He isn’t Matt Gay or Justin Tucker. Joseph is replaceable. With that in mind, Jack Podlesny, who was the kicker for the back-to-back national champion Georgia Bulldogs, has a chance to win the job with a great camp and Joseph having a sub-par one. Over 82% on field goals in college is impressive considering the wider splits and being able to translate that to the NFL could earn him a job.

Despite being an average kicker, he struggles from distance. Podlesny is 9/17 from 40-49 yards and 4/7 from 50+ yards during his time at Georgia. Those aren’t great numbers as a whole, but they can be worked on. Plus, Joseph has $1.75 million guaranteed on his contract for 2023, which would make it really difficult to cut him outside of a disastrous performance.

Podlesny likely won’t make the team, but a strong showing should convince the Vikings to keep him on the practice squad. With Joseph on just a one-year contract, it’s a smart idea. Continue to grow and develop Podlesny with the idea that he ends up as the Vikings kicker in 2024.\

Stats (At Georgia): 40 games, 61/74 field goals (82.4%), 182/184 extra points (98.9%)

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-90-man-roster-player-profile-k-jack-podlesny/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0kwFp9INcnQrUYK-oeKPO5bstrdYw4JTxdKaPPenATNzHhwXNjtNOINEs