2023 Special Teams, will it be a yea or nay year...?

vike daddy

At least for the most part, you know what you're going to get...a guy who can consistently make kicks under 40, miss a handful of extra points, and is 50/50 on 50+ yd FGs.  I do think they'll bring in some competition next year, but we'll see.  If they can find someone who is clearly better, I'm sure they'll go that route, but it is such a crapshoot.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

At least for the most part, you know what you're going to get...a guy who can consistently make kicks under 40, miss a handful of extra points, and is 50/50 on 50+ yd FGs.  I do think they'll bring in some competition next year, but we'll see.  If they can find someone who is clearly better, I'm sure they'll go that route, but it is such a crapshoot.   

How’s he so reliable under 40 but still misses what seems to be an unusually high number of extra points. Maybe he doesn’t actually miss more than average on extra points, just feels like Im always holding my breath every time he lines up to kick one. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe he doesn’t actually miss more than average on extra points, just feels like Im always holding my breath every time he lines up to kick one. 

He's missed 2 XP's and ESPN has him at 23rd in the league in XP%. 11 teams/kickers are perfect on XPs through 15 weeks.

I'm right there with you though, I'm holding my breath for every kick.

• 2 months later...

As I've mentioned in the past, the fact that backup QBs aren't typically holding placekicks any longer is really disappointing to me, because I believe that is correlated to the decrease in fakes.  It wouldn't impact our special teams much since Wright was a QB in HS, but I always found fake kicks to be an interesting part of the game, which has generally gone by the wayside. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That could be, but I'd still like to see it on occasion. 

I’d love to see them teach a guy like NaJee Thompson. If he’s going to be you special teams ace, might as well see if you can put his speed to use. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d love to see them teach a guy like NaJee Thompson. If he’s going to be you special teams ace, might as well see if you can put his speed to use. 

KC has that Safety that can kickoff and do field goals. How cool would it be to see them run a play where the kicker fakes an injury before the play by like running into an offensive lineman, they bring Reid on to kick, and he runs a fake instead?