Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

On 8/2/2023 at 2:54 AM, Brit Pack said:

Again this is all based on very little, but if I was a player Favre seemed like a fun guy and someone who gave it all and inspired me to give my all. Rodgers comes across much more cerebral and if I'm in his crew all is good but if not he makes it known but in a  snide, passive aggressive way. That's how I feel his attitude has been towards coaches and FO.  

Rodgers in his interviews now with the Jets, no talk of retirement or going at it a year at a time. He wants to be a Jet for a few years, give them cap flexibility, hang out with the young guys, play in the preseason blah blah blah. He is sticking to the Packers and FO again in a passive aggressive way.

Maybe there was more media coverage now than when Favre left but this departure gets under my skin far more.

winning is contagious, if the QB is having fun, why wouldn't his peers be having fun too.

go look at early Rodgers and Nelson, Cobb and Adams, or a year ago riding around with Bakhtiari in the golf cart, all this stuff that the youngsters don't like Rodgers is so laugh out loud funny. It is natural for a 20 yr old rookie to be over shadowed and in awe of someone as great as Rodgers.

I think a lot of fans are upset because he wouldn't kiss up to this FO and voiced his displeasure, cripes Favre did that for the last 5 years he was here

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

winning is contagious, if the QB is having fun, why wouldn't his peers be having fun too.

We were winning the first 3 seasons of MLF tenure and like I said it was fun when you are in the Rodgers club and not fun when you are not. When the Packers in London I was chatting with one of the broadcast tech guys and he said when they all used to fly on one plane Rodgers got all the tech guys to sit in between rodgers and his buddies and the rest of the team so that he wouldn't get disturbed. Rodgers is an elitist not an everyman guy like Favre was.

It is natural for a 20 yr old rookie to be over shadowed and in awe of someone as great as Rodgers.

Last year Doubs said Rodgers didn't hang out with any of the young receivers and Rodgers went on McAfee to address that saying he won't hang out with guys half his age. Switch up a few months and Rodgers taking Sauce out to Knicks games, hanging out in the gym with him etc. Different city, different guy now. He is giving the love that he ain't be showing for the past few years with the Packers.

I think a lot of fans are upset because he wouldn't kiss up to this FO and voiced his displeasure, cripes Favre did that for the last 5 years he was here

The way I see it, when Favre left the Packers, those last few years he was a bit of a ****, the last few years of Rodgers was him being a total wanker!

4 hours ago, turf toe said:

I know I'am correct, what GM would neglect WR for basically 8 drafts, unless you consider the 3 very raw mid rounders in 2018 and Amari Rodgers 3 years ago as fortifying the position, we spent most of the 1st and 2nd rounders on defense, and those are the rounds ya tend to find starter and walk on talent.

Rodgers complained because we needed wr talent, obviously, and the last 2 drafts proves it, Guty did almost nothing until he couldn't resign Adams.

they relied on those two to carry this offense for years and years, everyone knows this, it's not some state secret, that worked well against most competition, but we always seemed a player short when it came to the play offs.

I get your point and I do not necessarily disagree with it.

But, if you look at it this way.....

2014.  Adams, Abbrederis, Janis.  Let's only count Adams because he was a second round pick.

2015.  Montgomery was a third round pick.  We really needed corners and took them first.

2016, took a later round flier on Tyler Davis.  No need to count him, as he was a later pick.

2017, two later round drafted WR's.  Corner, safety, DT in the first three.  

2018, Moore, MVS, ESB.  None prior to the 4'th round.  (That was the draft we missed Watt.)

2019, TE (Sternberger) in the third.

2020, RB and TE in the second and third round.

2021, Rodgers in the third.

2022.  Second round (traded up for), 4'th rounder and 7th rounder on WR.

It isn't like GB ignored offensive skill positions.  It was just that the selections made were poor, especially at TE.

We've gone over our drafts a lot and we've found that we really didn't "miss" on many WR's.  Not in relation to what we picked instead of them.  In most cases, good WR's came off of the board prior to our second round pick, and they were not viewed as first round WR's.

I hesitate on this, because I feel like 2019 is where it could have been a WR.  We took Gary where we should.  No doubt.  We needed a safety, so we took Savage, but I'll question that pick, because I was not a fan.  He rose up boards due to a combine performance.  I know others who will dispute that, but hey, it is how I feel and how I saw that season going down.

Then we took a guard in round two in Jenkins.  A great guard.  Great pick.  But still?  A guard.

So let's look at that one draft.  2019.  Had we not reached for a safety, we had Marquise Brown, NKeal Harry and Deebo Samuel on the board.  (And some other very good players at other positions)  Harry was a bust.  And I'm not sure that Samuel was seen as that great of a WR prospect coming out.  Brown was, but to be fair, a lot of that was due to a fast 40 time.

We took Jenkins with AJ Brown, Hardman, Whiteside and Isabella on the board.  Much love and respect for AJ Brown, but Jenkins is 10X the player than the other 3 are. 

But that is draft I'll point to for missed opportunities at WR.

Outside of that?  We tried to find TE's and Wr's, they just didn't work out.

If you've made it this far, I award you your choice of 100 Stanley nickels or 10 Schrutte Bucks.  

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get your point and I do not necessarily disagree with it.

But, if you look at it this way.....

2014.  Adams, Abbrederis, Janis.  Let's only count Adams because he was a second round pick.

2015.  Montgomery was a third round pick.  We really needed corners and took them first.

2016, took a later round flier on Tyler Davis.  No need to count him, as he was a later pick.

2017, two later round drafted WR's.  Corner, safety, DT in the first three.  

2018, Moore, MVS, ESB.  None prior to the 4'th round.  (That was the draft we missed Watt.)

2019, TE (Sternberger) in the third.

2020, RB and TE in the second and third round.

2021, Rodgers in the third.

2022.  Second round (traded up for), 4'th rounder and 7th rounder on WR.

It isn't like GB ignored offensive skill positions.  It was just that the selections made were poor, especially at TE.

We've gone over our drafts a lot and we've found that we really didn't "miss" on many WR's.  Not in relation to what we picked instead of them.  In most cases, good WR's came off of the board prior to our second round pick, and they were not viewed as first round WR's.

I hesitate on this, because I feel like 2019 is where it could have been a WR.  We took Gary where we should.  No doubt.  We needed a safety, so we took Savage, but I'll question that pick, because I was not a fan.  He rose up boards due to a combine performance.  I know others who will dispute that, but hey, it is how I feel and how I saw that season going down.

Then we took a guard in round two in Jenkins.  A great guard.  Great pick.  But still?  A guard.

So let's look at that one draft.  2019.  Had we not reached for a safety, we had Marquise Brown, NKeal Harry and Deebo Samuel on the board.  (And some other very good players at other positions)  Harry was a bust.  And I'm not sure that Samuel was seen as that great of a WR prospect coming out.  Brown was, but to be fair, a lot of that was due to a fast 40 time.

We took Jenkins with AJ Brown, Hardman, Whiteside and Isabella on the board.  Much love and respect for AJ Brown, but Jenkins is 10X the player than the other 3 are. 

But that is draft I'll point to for missed opportunities at WR.

Outside of that?  We tried to find TE's and Wr's, they just didn't work out.

If you've made it this far, I award you your choice of 100 Stanley nickels or 10 Schrutte Bucks.  

we needed a walk on type receiver in 2017, again in 2018, and 2019, instead we got players that needed a lot of coaching up, there is such a thing as UFA, almost any established talent would have added the compliment to Adams that we hadn't had in years.

Gary, we had no need for Gary, we just put out over a 100 mil for the Smith boys, and Gary didn't amount to anything for 2 full seasons, I like what Gary has become, don't get me wrong, but as with the 5 drafts prior the offense needed those top picks.

we spent a fortune to build the worst run defense in the league and a middle of the road coverage unit for 7 straight drafts.

we missed on offensive players because the hit rate of 3rd and later rounds is a lot less then the first couple rounds.

we had the winning formula for how this stuff works up till we took Adams in 2014, then this insane desire to build defense took over, I get that ya need good defense, but not at the neglect on offense that we saw.

people can say what ever they want about Rodgers, but no QB like him is going to be happy with the approach I just mention.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, turf toe said:

we needed a walk on type receiver in 2017, again in 2018, and 2019, instead we got players that needed a lot of coaching up, there is such a thing as UFA, almost any established talent would have added the compliment to Adams that we hadn't had in years.

Gary, we had no need for Gary, we just put out over a 100 mil for the Smith boys, and Gary didn't amount to anything for 2 full seasons, I like what Gary has become, don't get me wrong, but as with the 5 drafts prior the offense needed those top picks.

we spent a fortune to build the worst run defense in the league and a middle of the road coverage unit for 7 straight drafts.

we missed on offensive players because the hit rate of 3rd and later rounds is a lot less then the first couple rounds.

we had the winning formula for how this stuff works up till we took Adams in 2014, then this insane desire to build defense took over, I get that ya need good defense, but not at the neglect on offense that we saw.

people can say what ever they want about Rodgers, but no QB like him is going to be happy with the approach I just mention.

I don't feel like you are correct in your last statement.  Once Aaron came back and inked that contract, he said he wanted to play with Adams AND MVS, specifically.  Both walked on HIM.

He was fine with MVS. Maybe even a lot more than fine.  He WANTED MVS.

And we invested just fine in offensive skill positions.  RB's, TE's...we didn't use the higher draft capital on WR, though.  

I don't fault the Gary draft, he was the right guy to take.  Him or Burns.  But that Savage pick was a complete whiff in my book.

I know the agenda that you want to push.  And believe me, to some extent, I believe you.

But it isn't like we left a lot of good WR's out there to be picked over what we picked, except for that Savage debacle.

I go back a few years when the Rams won the SB in part because they brought in OBJ.  We tried and lowballed him.  I don't recall what our cap was like, but for that rental, we should have bought him.

That's what burns me, and it dovetails into your thought process.  We tried.  We just didn't try hard enough. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't feel like you are correct in your last statement.  Once Aaron came back and inked that contract, he said he wanted to play with Adams AND MVS, specifically.  Both walked on HIM.

He was fine with MVS. Maybe even a lot more than fine.  He WANTED MVS.

And we invested just fine in offensive skill positions.  RB's, TE's...we didn't use the higher draft capital on WR, though.  

I don't fault the Gary draft, he was the right guy to take.  Him or Burns.  But that Savage pick was a complete whiff in my book.

I know the agenda that you want to push.  And believe me, to some extent, I believe you.

But it isn't like we left a lot of good WR's out there to be picked over what we picked, except for that Savage debacle.

I go back a few years when the Rams won the SB in part because they brought in OBJ.  We tried and lowballed him.  I don't recall what our cap was like, but for that rental, we should have bought him.

That's what burns me, and it dovetails into your thought process.  We tried.  We just didn't try hard enough. 

yep we just didn't try hard enough concerning receivers, and TE's tend to take a few years, so Sternberger wasn't going to be much help when we drafted him either, not getting OBJ because we low balled him is chronic Packer front office when it comes to UFA WR's.

I didn't see where Rodgers gushed over MVS, but his speed is a valuable commodity to have, but it's not as though MVS is a technically proficient WR, he just runs fast.

right now we have the talent at the position that we havn't had in the last 8 seasons, I know you'll counter with what about Adams, well imho it is better to have 2 or 3 good to very good, then it is one really great one, much harder for a defense to defend.

whatever I'am no GM, and don't want to give the impression I know any where near what they do, I just would have done this differently.

11 hours ago, turf toe said:

I know I'am correct, what GM would neglect WR for basically 8 drafts, unless you consider the 3 very raw mid rounders in 2018 and Amari Rodgers 3 years ago as fortifying the position, we spent most of the 1st and 2nd rounders on defense, and those are the rounds ya tend to find starter and walk on talent.

Rodgers complained because we needed wr talent, obviously, and the last 2 drafts proves it, Guty did almost nothing until he couldn't resign Adams.

they relied on those two to carry this offense for years and years, everyone knows this, it's not some state secret, that worked well against most competition, but we always seemed a player short when it came to the play offs.

I occasionally forget that the left end of the bell curve on this forum thinks in fantasy football terms. 

There are 25ish guys that play regular snaps on a football team. 

WR is not a high priority position. Especially not #2 or #3 receiver. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, turf toe said:

Are you seriously saying we shouldn't have taken the really good pass rusher?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I occasionally forget that the left end of the bell curve on this forum thinks in fantasy football terms. 

There are 25ish guys that play regular snaps on a football team. 

WR is not a high priority position. Especially not #2 or #3 receiver. 

You probably should've kept it to #3. You'd have to go back to the 40's and 50's for #2 to be close to irrelevant.

6 hours ago, turf toe said:

I wasn't all that thrilled about the Gary pick when it first happened, but I do count it as one of Gute's few homeruns now and hopefully he stays healthy this year because we are going to need him.

I think the Savage pick was worse because he's been a subpar free safety and he definitely should not be paid the big bucks at the rate he's going.

I think the big problem that really dogged the offense wasn't just simply waiting until last year to grab a WR early with Watson.  It's also been awful TE grading which has resulted in **** players like Sternberger and Deguara being here.  Gute had better hope for his sake that he got it right this year with Kraft and Musgrave or he's a dead man walking.