2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

anyone have a link to a twitter feed that posts camp tweets?

First of all, it's called X now, not Twitter. Thanks Elon. 

Second, just follow guys like Herman, Demovsky, Huber, Silverstein, Ryan Wood. They typically are at practice and tweet as it goes. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

First of all, it's called X now, not Twitter. Thanks Elon. 

Second, just follow guys like Herman, Demovsky, Huber, Silverstein, Ryan Wood. They typically are at practice and tweet as it goes. 

I found it in my favourites from last year - 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah...that's kind of where I'm at too.

But, I do see a success plan with Dillon, should we move on from Jones.

And yeah, RB's from all over the draft can be inserted right away and produce.

I don’t see a plan with Dillon as the 1A without a significant investment in a RB. The running game is important to MLF, Dillon is fine, but nothing inspiring . 

This regime took Dillon in round 2, it’s really not out of the realm of possibilities that they make that type or better type of investment again. 

Biggest issue for RBs is pass protection.  That is why Patrick Taylor sees the roster and Tyler Goodson does not.  

In a different scenario, you could keep Taylor on a super cheap deal, and look for a new RB in 2 or 3 next draft and let both Jones and Dillon walk.  Not ideal, but I think Taylor could be James Starks if given the opportunities.  And you can do worse than that.  Probably would be looking at like 2 years 4 or 5 million for Taylor, and rookie deal players to round it out.

Do I want to do that? No.  But I can see it working if Jordan Love and the receiving units really show out.  It wouldn't be that much different than what they did with Rodgers.  One year with Grant.  Then BJax, Starks, etc.  Didn't really make much of an investment until Lacy.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t see a plan with Dillon as the 1A without a significant investment in a RB. The running game is important to MLF, Dillon is fine, but nothing inspiring . 

This regime took Dillon in round 2, it’s really not out of the realm of possibilities that they make that type or better type of investment again. 

I don't see Dillon at 1A, either.  But, if we move on from Jones, he would be.  Then yeah, we draft another RB or two.

If we keep Jones and not Dillon, or if we let both go, we are talking about significant investments to replace them, either through the draft or FA.

Me?  I'd prefer to keep both.  And I understand if we do not.  I just feel like Dillon can do more and would be worth a 3 year, 15-17M deal.  It would be easy money to spend in that room, if we had to choose one.

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I actually disagree about Dillon.  In games where he has gotten 15 or more carries (only 9) he has averaged 4.4 ypc.  That is more than fine.  I think he is a bell cow that hasn't gotten the chance to actually be the bell cow because of splitting time with Jones.  But it has still managed to be pretty successful. 

I really think you can get Jones + Dillon production from Dillon + Player X.  Just invert the load.  Give the majority of the carries to Dillon, and have the smaller, quicker back be the spell back.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Biggest issue for RBs is pass protection.  That is why Patrick Taylor sees the roster and Tyler Goodson does not.  

In a different scenario, you could keep Taylor on a super cheap deal, and look for a new RB in 2 or 3 next draft and let both Jones and Dillon walk.  Not ideal, but I think Taylor could be James Starks if given the opportunities.  And you can do worse than that.  Probably would be looking at like 2 years 4 or 5 million for Taylor, and rookie deal players to round it out.

Do I want to do that? No.  But I can see it working if Jordan Love and the receiving units really show out.  It wouldn't be that much different than what they did with Rodgers.  One year with Grant.  Then BJax, Starks, etc.  Didn't really make much of an investment until Lacy.

LaFluer offense is different than a McCarthy offense. We don’t need the best, but we need 2-3 B+ guys that are dangerous and know the offense inside out. With the RB market being what it is, take advantage and get a cheap veteran and a talented rookie every other year. Rinse, repeat. 

Edited by Refugee

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't see Dillon at 1A, either.  But, if we move on from Jones, he would be.  Then yeah, we draft another RB or two.

If we keep Jones and not Dillon, or if we let both go, we are talking about significant investments to replace them, either through the draft or FA.

Me?  I'd prefer to keep both.  And I understand if we do not.  I just feel like Dillon can do more and would be worth a 3 year, 15-17M deal.  It would be easy money to spend in that room, if we had to choose one.

I’m assuming we’re going to be in a healthy place cap wise so I think at least keeping Jones with smart. 

I actually thought this year they were going to take a back with some juice in the 4-5 rounds. 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I actually disagree about Dillon.  In games where he has gotten 15 or more carries (only 9) he has averaged 4.4 ypc.  That is more than fine.  I think he is a bell cow that hasn't gotten the chance to actually be the bell cow because of splitting time with Jones.  But it has still managed to be pretty successful. 

I really think you can get Jones + Dillon production from Dillon + Player X.  Just invert the load.  Give the majority of the carries to Dillon, and have the smaller, quicker back be the spell back.  

That’s a good point. Maybe he’s a guy who needs those carries to get going. I really want to see Dillon play better this year. He’s a great guy to cheer for. He’s probably not going to cost a lot regardless, but if he plays like last year he’s pretty expendable imo. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

LaFluer offense is different than a McCarthy offense. We don’t need the best, but we need 2-3 B+ guys that are dangerous and know the offense inside out. With the RB market being what it is, take advantage and get a cheap veteran and a talented rookie every other year. Rinse, repeat. 

I don't disagree at all.  I have long been a churn the RB room guy.  I thought the Jones contract was a bad move, despite being a fan of Jones.  All I was suggesting was that our cheap vet could be AJ Dillon or Patrick Taylor, second contract guys from within.    

That really isn't too far off from what the Packers are actually doing right now.  Just the vet is expensive.  Everyone else is on a rookie contract.  *I am not sure exactly what the active/PS moves make Patrick Taylor, but he is team controlled, and relatively cheap.

• Like 1

Pretty sure someone is gonna overpay Dillon if he keeps the current level of production.  Teams love to sign "the other guy" who is still young-ish.

Don't think we are really losing out on much there.  Draft picks are the way to go at the RB position - it's pretty much a 1 contract and move on situation.  Jones has worked out, sort of, but he's more the exception than the norm.

Keep taking cuts in the 3rd-5th round and using street FAs is always a fine fallback plan.  The Latavius murray type is always out there and while not exciting usually a functional player who is cheap.