Which contention tiers do teams belong to heading into the 2023 season?

notthatbluestuff

Would move LAC and NYJ down a tier. For NY specifically because their OL depth and health is suspect until proven otherwise. Aaron is another year older too, I don't know how much he can elevate a bad line around him.

I also think SF should be in tier 1. As long as you believe in Purdy, which I guess it's fair if you don't.

• Like 3

Ravens should move up a tier at least. They have been in 1st place in the AFC North the past two seasons when Lamar was injured despite injury issues affecting other units as well. Ravens whooped the Bengals up and down the field in the playoff game but lost b/c their backup QB is a moron. Assuming all teams have equal injury luck, Ravens are not a long shot. 

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How the hell are the Ravens "long shot contenders" but the Dolphins, Jaguars, Chargers and Cowboys aren't? That makes zero sense to me. 

For the Cowboys, I’d say it’s because the NFC is so much easier than the AFC right now. No argument on the others.

People are sleeping HARD on the Rams. Not saying they are contenders but in the NFC they can grab one of the WC spots.

They had an overwhelming injury plagued season the likes I’ve never seen before for them in the McVay era. Not to mention McVay was dealing with personal issues in his life where he wasn’t mentally checked in during the season. The Rams won 5 games but was three late game blown leads (Bucs and twice against the Seahawks) from winning 8 games. So now you are telling me a healthy Rams team with an upgrade on the OL adding physical guys in Avila and McClendon both didn’t allow a sack at Georgia playing in the SEC. Then adding Bruss who didn’t play last season. Akers showed the last month or so of the season that he is back running and catching the ball well. McVay is energized ready to go. The defense is young but so was the Jets and Seahawks last season and they surprised people and played well. Donald is back and I expect some of the young guys to play better as the season goes along. Like I can see the Rams being a 9-10 win team being right there at the 7th seed in the wildcard. They won’t be tanking or finishing last in the division. They won’t be fighting for that 1st overall pick. Book it. Unless the injury bug hit them hard again like last season. 

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

People are sleeping HARD on the Rams. Not saying they are contenders but in the NFC they can grab one of the WC spots.

They had an overwhelming injury plagued season the likes I’ve never seen before for them in the McVay era. Not to mention McVay was dealing with personal issues in his life where he wasn’t mentally checked in during the season. The Rams won 5 games but was three late game blown leads (Bucs and twice against the Seahawks) from winning 8 games. So now you are telling me a healthy Rams team with an upgrade on the OL adding physical guys in Avila and McClendon both didn’t allow a sack at Georgia playing in the SEC. Then adding Bruss who didn’t play last season. Akers showed the last month or so of the season that he is back running and catching the ball well. McVay is energized ready to go. The defense is young but so was the Jets and Seahawks last season and they surprised people and played well. Donald is back and I expect some of the young guys to play better as the season goes along. Like I can see the Rams being a 9-10 win team being right there at the 7th seed in the wildcard. They won’t be tanking or finishing last in the division. They won’t be fighting for that 1st overall pick. Book it. Unless the injury bug hit them hard again like last season. 

I would say your return from injuries are cancelled out by departures of Wagner and Ramsey. So you're banking on unproven defensive talent to take that step. Can't blame people for sleeping on the Rams.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I would say your return from injuries are cancelled out by departures of Wagner and Ramsey. So you're banking on unproven defensive talent to take that step. Can't blame people for sleeping on the Rams.

I agree the loss will hurt. Not losing Wagner bc the Rams never truly is big on inside linebackers. Plus they LOVE Jones. He isn’t Wagner but he has shown potential to be good. Ramsey hurts big time but the Rams hope Rochelle can be good enough since when they drafted him he had the ideal prototype of Ramsey in terms of size etc… The Rams drafted Hodges-Tomlinson and a ton of speedy guys like Young and Hampton bc teams would get the ball out so fast to prevent Donald from getting to the QB fast. Smart move for the Rams recognize how teams have been hurting them and doing something about it. No lock that it will work but the Rams drafted athletic guys with great traits that if some of them hit like a Kobie Turner next to Donald that defense will be good eventually.