Which contention tiers do teams belong to heading into the 2023 season?

notthatbluestuff

My biggest (but far from only) issue with the Rams is Stafford. Mostly his health. 

Concerns about a lingering elbow issue from last season (2021), concussion protocol, neck strain, back contusion (that was scary at the time, and doesn’t help the history of back injuries). The OL didn’t take a huge leap forward, either. At 35 years old, that’s a concern. 

21 hours ago, Soko said:

My biggest (but far from only) issue with the Rams is Stafford. Mostly his health. 

Concerns about a lingering elbow issue from last season (2021), concussion protocol, neck strain, back contusion (that was scary at the time, and doesn’t help the history of back injuries). The OL didn’t take a huge leap forward, either. At 35 years old, that’s a concern. 

The OL has historically (that's literal) bad injuries. First team ever I believe to start 11 different OL combos in the first 11 games. Both Logan Bruss (was lost for the year before the season started last year) and Avila are in coming.

I think most teams would be sunk by that - so if that happens again,  sure, it'll be bad again.

But I expect the OL to be much better - if Stafford is healthy, then the offense is going to be really good. The defense isn't looking good, but then even with those guys we got rid of the defense was a below average unit last year.

My assumption is Stafford will be fine, but that definitely is a concern. If he is, I think we'll be a wildcard team.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How the hell are the Ravens "long shot contenders" but the Dolphins, Jaguars, Chargers and Cowboys aren't? That makes zero sense to me. 

Dolphins and Jags beat you guys head to head so there's that.

Dolphins added Ramsey and Fangio which is gonna do wonders for their defense, Jaguars added Ridley and are only gonna get better as Trevor continues to gain experience, and Dallas made it the furthest of all teams listed last year and improved by adding Cooks and Gilmore in a overall weak NFC. Chargers I'm with you on.

Factor in the meat grinder that is the AFC North and there's your answer.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i feel like that’s usually the case. I dont think many expected Chicago to be that bad last year with Fields in year 2

Hindsight is 20/20, I absolutely saw that one coming. Fields didn't really show anything and they didn't really give him much help that offseason.

Don't think the Bucs will be #1 pick bad but they are going to regress, Cardinals seem like they're embracing the tank though. Washington is another team I can see looking to rehaul with no franchise QB in tow, a new owner, and another possible name change coming, plus Caleb is from D.C. isn't he?

4 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Dolphins and Jags beat you guys head to head so there's that.

Dolphins added Ramsey and Fangio which is gonna do wonders for their defense, Jaguars added Ridley and are only gonna get better as Trevor continues to gain experience, and Dallas made it the furthest of all teams listed last year and improved by adding Cooks and Gilmore in a overall weak NFC. Chargers I'm with you on.

Factor in the meat grinder that is the AFC North and there's your answer.

And the Ravens didn't improve...or...?

Dolphins are complete pretenders, Jags are, at best in the same tier as us.

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And the Ravens didn't improve...or...?

Dolphins are complete pretenders, Jags are, at best in the same tier as us.

Comparatively speaking? Not as much if you ask me. The Ravens additions were less significant IMO, I don't think anyone is expecting OBJ to return to his 2016 form. I'll never count the Ravens out because they are a good drafting team and well run organization, but I'm also higher than most on JAX and MIA and see them both as legit threats.

Not sure why you think the Dolphins are pretenders, only thing holding them back would be Tua's health. People are underestimating what the addition of Vic Fangio is gonna do for them. 

As a Browns fan, they can be anywhere from Tier 2 to Tier 6 and I wouldn't really complain. If Watson returns to his form as an elite type tier QB ala 2020, then they're going to be hard to beat, potentially even in the "Super Bowl Contender" tier. If they get the dude who played the last 6 games of the season, they're a 6-7 win team who finishes last in the AFC North and then they'll blow up the front office and coaching staff.

They have a very difficult and competitive division, unlike the AFC or NFC South.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, FrantikRam said:

Same thing happened to the Rams after 2019. Down year (for us at the time, going 9-7). Everyone was excited about the Cardinals and a ton of people had us in last place. Ended up winning a playoff game.

I expect the same thing to happen this year.

The Rams were terrible last year, they lost a bunch of players from the team in the offseason, and they didn't bring in anyone of note during FA/draft. Are you confident in just Stafford, Kupp, and Donald carrying the team? Stafford is an older player with a lot miles and injuries and Kupp just came off a season ending injury. And even if they are fully healthy next season, 3 players is not enough to carry a team to the playoffs. This is not the NBA.

5 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

The Rams were terrible last year, they lost a bunch of players from the team in the offseason, and they didn't bring in anyone of note during FA/draft. Are you confident in just Stafford, Kupp, and Donald carrying the team? Stafford is an older player with a lot miles and injuries and Kupp just came off a season ending injury. And even if they are fully healthy next season, 3 players is not enough to carry a team to the playoffs. This is not the NBA.

Case in point:

• Like 1