Which contention tiers do teams belong to heading into the 2023 season?

notthatbluestuff

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree the loss will hurt. Not losing Wagner bc the Rams never truly is big on inside linebackers. Plus they LOVE Jones. He isn’t Wagner but he has shown potential to be good. Ramsey hurts big time but the Rams hope Rochelle can be good enough since when they drafted him he had the ideal prototype of Ramsey in terms of size etc… The Rams drafted Hodges-Tomlinson and a ton of speedy guys like Young and Hampton bc teams would get the ball out so fast to prevent Donald from getting to the QB fast. Smart move for the Rams recognize how teams have been hurting them and doing something about it. No lock that it will work but the Rams drafted athletic guys with great traits that if some of them hit like a Kobie Turner next to Donald that defense will be good eventually. 

Listen to yourself, the guys you're bringing up to compensate for the loss of HOF players. "Will be good eventually" doesn't add up to, they should be considered a contender now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Listen to yourself, the guys you're bringing up to compensate for the loss of HOF players. "Will be good eventually" doesn't add up to, they should be considered a contender now.

Well he did say they could be in a WC spot and not contenders in his first post.

Edited by Dash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

I said not a lock and yes losing Wagner but mainly Ramsey hurt. I do think losing Wagner is being overblown. Not that he wasn’t great but that the Rams usually don’t place a high priority on inside linebackers. Losing Ramsey will hurt for sure but you do realize the Rams had a life without Rams? It was Trumaine Johnson (2017) and then Peters and Talib (2018) and both seasons each of those players played well. 

I do get what you are saying bc nobody knows Cobie Durant and Robert Rochelle. We don’t know how Hodges-Tomlinson will do in the NFL. Although I think in the slot he will could end up being one of the best. He might even play outside and be about Darious Williams type for the Rams. Only time will tell but again I feel like people are sleeping hard on the Rams. They won’t be tanking or in the running for the 1st overall pick. 

10 minutes ago, Dash said:

Well he did say the could be in a WC spot and not contenders in his first post.

Yes I did say that. They won’t be contenders in 2023 but I think all the talk about the Rams tanking or possibly picking 1st overall is mind boggling. 

Oh and it’s funny the Rams win total is 6.5 I believe. I see the Rams are tied 14 for best Superbowl odds. Something has to give. Again not saying they are contenders but I bet and I might actually do that the Rams will easily win more than 6.5 games this season. That’s easy money.

The AFC is crazy loaded. I think there are 9 teams who should be seen as legitimate contenders - Jags, Browns, Ravens, Bengals, Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Chargers, Chiefs.. Any arrangement of that group in the final playoff standings wouldn't surprise me.

Three teams I'm higher on than most:

• Jags: In that division, they should be competing for the top seed in the AFC. Expect Lawrence to solidify his place among top QBs and think Ridley will make a massive difference. Defense holds them back from being an elite team, but the schedule is very favorable
  • Browns: Seems like everyone wants to discredit Watson. Personal feelings aside, the guy was pretty much a consensus top-5 QB before everything happened. Another year removed from it all and I think it's more likely than not he looks like his old self. Browns roster is stacked.
  • Broncos: Bit of a dark horse and not a contender, but I find it hard to believe Russell Wilson just forgot how to play football? What are the odds last season proves to be a fluke? If so, they could wind up being closer to the team everyone first predicted than the joke they are now

Not to mention, the Stealers and Patriots will both find a way to be competitive.

NFC is a different story. Eagles are the best team in football IMO. The 9ers have the second best roster in football, but plenty of uncertainty at QB..

After that, I think there are a handful of good, not great, teams with plenty of question marks, non of which I see being a serious threat to the Eagles. The Cowboys on paper, maybe..? I'm higher on the Rams than most - a year removed from winning the SB, they were decimated by injuries last year and Stafford/McVay should bounce back. I don't think they'll be great by any stretch, but think they should be in the wildcard hunt.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Denver far too high.

Don't discount how big of a deal it is to go from quite possibly the worst coach in franchise history to one of the best coaches in the league. That and an upgraded oline should have us contending for the playoffs, health permitting.

Edited by BroncoSojia
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Don't discount how big of a deal it is to go from quite possibly the worst coach in franchise history to one of the best coaches in the league. That and an upgraded oline should have us contending for the playoffs, health permitting.

I’m visualizing Kevin James as Sean Payton coming in and throwing out the old middle school playbook.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

I have a feeling it'll be someone unexpected drafting Caleb Williams. Not that the Bucs and Cards won't both suck, but I just think it could end up being someone from the above's tier 6, maybe. 

Yea i feel like that’s usually the case. I dont think many expected Chicago to be that bad last year with Fields in year 2

I don't think the Saints and Falcons should be in a tier higher than us.  We all finished with 7 wins last year, but the Panthers upgraded their coaching staff more than any team in the division and on paper we should have the best or second best defense in the NFC South.

Same thing happened to the Rams after 2019. Down year (for us at the time, going 9-7). Everyone was excited about the Cardinals and a ton of people had us in last place. Ended up winning a playoff game.

I expect the same thing to happen this year.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, stl4life07 said:

So now you are telling me a healthy Rams team with.......

Yes!

I'm not saying top 10 pick like the masses with the Parity year in year out in the NFL but baring a complete collapse of Seattle and SF, a 3rd team isn't coming out of the NFCW. Sorry!

I'd move you up 1 tier from the OP.