Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

23 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You flip the Tucker and Bennett picks, nobody blinks an eye. The draft is hilarious like that.Β 

I love when fans say "I had him as a 6th round pick" as if they evaluate players for a living. Opinions are based entirely off whatever "guru" you follow on twitter or otherwise. And most are not deep diving on Cincy tape, they are parroting something someone else said.Β 

To be fair, those same fans have categorically out performed the Raiders highly paid professionals in the drafting department for over a decade - and we have the evidence to back it up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, those same fans have categorically out performed the Raiders highly paid professionals in the drafting department for over a decade - and we have the evidence to back it up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Fair. In round 1, group think is a little more clear. Easy to identify guys who have 1st or 2nd round grades. Later on, complete crapshoot.Β 

This fan base also wrote Khalil Mack off in pre-season because he struggled to get a sack until game 4 against guys who were eventually cut. The highs and lows are real around here.Β 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Thank you πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Β 

… some moves don’t need an expert to know they were bad or at least sub-optimal

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Fair. In round 1, group think is a little more clear. Easy to identify guys who have 1st or 2nd round grades. Later on, complete crapshoot.Β 

This fan base also wrote Khalil Mack off in pre-season because he struggled to get a sack until game 4 against guys who were eventually cut. The highs and lows are real around here.Β 

Irony is you’re here preaching patience for the new regime to erase the previous regimes poor drafting. Who some here called out years ago.Β 
Β 

there’s blindly supporting your teams pick then there’s arnettes and leatherwood reality examplesΒ 

• Like 2

The whole narrative of β€œgive the New Regime time” that’s being pushed is taking a normally valid and reasonable idea and pushing it too far. Β It’s gotten to the point of outright blindly support by a few and Outright cultish worshipping by the the strongest supporter(s). Β 

Its a pretty reasonable stance IMO to say Tucker was a reach and there were bigger needs than a KR/PR and 3rd string slot WR. Β We had just signed DeAndre Carter who gives all the same things. Β So mildly questioning or criticism of the pick is fair. Β No one is demanding firings over it. Β The criticism has been rather reasonable. Β As soon as you critique anything Zeigler/JMD does the supporter(s) start in with their argument from authority spiel β€œyour not a GM or front office worker”. Β That’s just a big shield they put up to protect their ideology. Β 

Hopefully Tucker ends up being a solid pick. Β I’ve been advocating for bringing in a small but fast WR for 3 years. Β I even Β advocated spending a 5-7th round pick on Trey Palmer, Tucker, Rakeem Jarrett, Darius Davis, etc. Β I simply think spending #100 on Tucker was a reach. Β Not saying Zeigler should be fired over It. Β  That’s a reasonable opinion to have. Β  Here is a litmus test: Β is anyone saying the pick was really good? No, it’s just people defending it.

Β 

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The whole narrative of β€œgive the New Regime time” that’s being pushed is taking a normally valid and reasonable idea and pushing it too far. Β It’s gotten to the point of outright blindly support by a few and Outright cultish worshipping by the the strongest supporter(s). Β 

Pushing it too far? They've been here 15 months.Β 

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Its a pretty reasonable stance IMO to say Tucker was a reach and there were bigger needs than a KR/PR and 3rd string slot WR. Β We had just signed DeAndre Carter who gives all the same things. Β So mildly questioning or criticism of the pick is fair. Β No one is demanding firings over it. Β The criticism has been rather reasonable. Β As soon as you critique anything Zeigler/JMD does the supporter(s) start in with their argument from authority spiel β€œyour not a GM or front office worker”. Β That’s just a big shield they put up to protect their ideology. Β 

Hopefully Tucker ends up being a solid pick. Β I’ve been advocating for bringing in a small but fast WR for 3 years. Β I even Β advocated spending a 5-7th round pick on Trey Palmer, Tucker, Rakeem Jarrett, Darius Davis, etc. Β I simply think spending #100 on Tucker was a reach. Β Not saying Zeigler should be fired over It. Β  That’s a reasonable opinion to have. Β  Here is a litmus test: Β is anyone saying the pick was really good? No, it’s just people defending it.

Β 

I agree with you on the position Tre Tucker plays. I too felt like Deandre Carter can fill a similar role this year while we could have picked a player at #100 that plays defense or offensive line.Β 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Β 

Some of us like to take this part of the offseason to be optimistic instead of pessimisticΒ 

Noboby knows how this season will go Β  ,So why not look at the moves as the glass half full instead of half empty?

The hate this new regime has been getting isn’t warranted yet

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Β 

Who has defended it literally everybody in the draft thread knows it was a reach and would have wanted another defensive player mainly a LB pr OL, I have seen nobody defend this pick specifically. By all accounts it was the first real wtf pick.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

I agree with you on the position Tre Tucker plays. I too felt like Deandre Carter can fill a similar role this year while we could have picked a player at #100 that plays defense or offensive line.Β 

Me personally even if Tucker is Ok I won't feel good about the pick. Really good drafts you have to maximize your picks and value, an OL or LB could have been picked there and we had ton of late round picks to move up later and still get him, then you have two possible contributing players instead of one. I'll always feel like we missed an opportunity for another player of need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Carter is 30. Tucker and Mayer who some say was a luxury pick are about the future.

Everyone keeps saying the Raiders are rebuilding, but then argue against picks that hope to pay dividends in the future. They preach BPA, but only if it's a named guy who plays a position that is a need I guess?

Draft good players and you'll be a good team. Splitting hairs over side of the ball is irrelevant to me.Β Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Some of us like to take this part of the offseason to be optimistic instead of pessimisticΒ 

Noboby knows how this season will go Β  ,So why not look at the moves as the glass half full instead of half empty?

The hate this new regime has been getting isn’t warranted yet

My biggest issue with jmd/ziegs is mismanagement of assets

you can say oh we had to pay carr, waller etc. on the same hand there’s risks in that and they aren’t stupid for example they knew it was a risk carr would walk for nothing. They made a calculated decision to do it. Can’t cry for them now. They dug this hole.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Carter is 30. Tucker and Mayer who some say was a luxury pick are about the future.

Everyone keeps saying the Raiders are rebuilding, but then argue against picks that hope to pay dividends in the future. They preach BPA, but only if it's a named guy who plays a position that is a need I guess?

Draft good players and you'll be a good team. Splitting hairs over side of the ball is irrelevant to me.Β Β 

I just think picking a good player on the defensive side of the ball in particular would bode well for not only this season but for our future too. It's still a barren wasteland. That was my only gripe. I still think Tucker can be good.

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 1