Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

17 minutes ago, MacReady said:

No I don’t. It’s happened twice.

Once was Mahomes.

Once wrecked a team for the next 10 years and could have been derailed by a single missed field goal while keeping the team wrecked for ten years.

And I’ll bet you right now it will be another 10-20 years before another QB wins while taking over 15% of the cap.

Just because there’s one exception does not mean there’s a new rule.

Rams in 2021 and Chiefs in 2022.  

Back to back years teams spending over your supposed QB bap threahold won the superbowl

Lets see the changes/exceptionss to the rule

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's ignore the running aspect for a second.  Murray finished the 2021 season completing 69.2% of his passes, 2.4 TD/INT ratio, and 6.84 NY/A.  That's again, better than what Jordan Love has done this year.  And that's not taking into account what Kyler Murray offers with his legs.  Kyler Murray added another 423 rushing yards and 5 rushing TD in 14 games.  Jordan Love has a career 247 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs in 21 career games.

The only relevant number here is 2021

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Jordan Love isn't getting top 8 QB money based on what he's done so far.

I totally agree, which is why I think he should be extended asap to lock in a cheaper rate. The longer they wait the more expensive he's gonna get. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If he continues to play this way, yes.  If it's closer to what his season average has been, no.

To be honest, I'll be mildly shocked if Love's average performance from weeks 1-12 is where he plateaus for Dec/Jan.  Getting the young offense in sync was a huge hurdle to get over, and the OL was in shambles for most of October.  Both of those situations have been improving by the week in November.  The offense appears to be hitting its stride at exactly the right time.

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I totally agree, which is why I think he should be extended asap to lock in a cheaper rate. The longer they wait the more expensive he's gonna get. 

The problem is there is no reason at all for Love to agree to a cheap deal.  There's no reason for him to even consider it.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Plus, QB contracts increase by $5mil/yr 

People never account for cap inflation and it's silly

Since 2021, the QB franchise tag value has gone up on average $4.3M assuming that the 2024 franchise tag is closer to OTC's value ($38.032M).  Let's go ahead and round that up to $5M.  That's a franchise tag value in 2025 of $43M plus another $48M in 2026 if they were to go down that route.  So at a bare minimum, Jordan Love would be under contracts for 3 years, $104M.  That would be in a situation where Love plays out his contract and then the Packers subsequently franchise tag him twice.  But if he's signing an extension, he's probably getting more money upfront likely in the form of a signing bonus that would push his 2024 cash flow to be higher in exchange for a lower AAV.  That's going to push his AAV down.  If he wants $45M+ AAV, then he's probably not getting much in the way of a signing bonus if he was set to become a FA this offseason.  Based on what he's done so far, he's probably $40M-$42M AAV.  If he continues to play well, then he's probably pushing $45M.  But he's absolutely not sniffing $50M+ unless he plays like he did the last 2 games for the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Love's agent should be fired for malpractice if he lets him sign an extension now.

Not everyone is motivated by trying to reset the salary cap.  The ability to lock themselves (and their children and grandchildren) in for life goes a LONG way.  It's not going to be a cap resetter, but it's definitely going to be life changing money.

Outside of Love, who's the next young QB due for a contract?  Lawrence?  If Lawrence signs first, I wouldn't expect the Love numbers to be significantly lower than what Lawrence signs for.  I'd expect Love to come in under Lawrence, but still be in the same general neighborhood.

Edited by Mazrimiv

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not everyone is motivated by trying to reset the salary cap.  The ability to lock themselves (and their children and grandchildren) in for life goes a LONG way.  It's not going to be a cap resetter, but it's definitely going to be life changing money.

You don't let an ascending player sign a contract that's not above market value as an agent. Especially not one looking for his first extension.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Outside of Love, who's the next young QB due for a contract?  Lawrence?  If Lawrence signs first, I wouldn't expect the Love numbers won't be significantly lower than what Lawrence signs for.  I'd expect Love to come in under Lawrence, but still be in the same general neighborhood.

I would assume it's Tua.  He's about to go into his 5th year option.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

You don't let an ascending player sign a contract that's not above market value as an agent. Especially not one looking for his first extension.

Based off what he's done so far (not projecting what he does the final third of the season), he's been a QB with 2 great games early in the year, 4.5 bad games in the middle of the season, and great for 2.5 games recently.  That's pretty much what you expect out of a young QB, but that's making the assumptions hat those last 2.5 games are his actual future.  He's been a middle-of-the-pack QB this season, and you want him to ask for market resetting money.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Outside of Love, who's the next young QB due for a contract?  Lawrence?  If Lawrence signs first, I wouldn't expect the Love numbers to be significantly lower than what Lawrence signs for.  I'd expect Love to come in under Lawrence, but still be in the same general neighborhood.

If you go to the Bears forum, Justin Fields! 

Meme Internet: Ray Liotta Laughing In Goodfellas - #RayLiotta #Laughing ...