Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

37 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

He was looking pretty good until that first pick.

The one thing I will say in his defense is some of what we are doing schematically doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why does Lafleur insist on cutting the field in half so often? This is the second time in as many weeks I've seen two guys running go routes down the seam on opposite sides of the same hash. Things like that just confuse the hell out of me.

Edited by StatKing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The one thing I will say in his defense is some of what we are doing schematically doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why does Lafleur insist on cutting the field in half so often? This is the second time in as many weeks I've seen two guys running go routes down the seam on opposite sides of the same hash. Things like that just confuse the hell out of me.

I looked like there were several plays that ended with WR/TE/RB being within a few yards of each other in pass patterns.  

That better be on a player running the wrong route vs how the play is designed

players running routes next to each other that I noticed

• 10 second mark, Musgrave and Watson both run short outs to the top side of the screen
  • 3:12    3 pass catchers end up within the hash marks between 5-10 yards from LOS

other stuff

• 39 second mark, middle screen, Tom needs to offer the outside to Crosby?? and avoid him making an inside move and being in the play
  • 1:06   First pass after the INT.  Out breaking route about 12 yards deep to the top of the screen is open.  looks like Love is looking that way 
  • 1:49   Goal line pass play after the Watson catch and run.....just gross play design.  2 man route with Love rolling left.  no motion to have a player on the move.  nothing backside or a deep back of end zone crosser
  • 3:23   Middle of field to Musgrave.  Looks like Musgrave drifts a little inside and Love puts it more outside

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

• 10 second mark, Musgrave and Watson both run short outs to the top side of the screen
  • 3:12    3 pass catchers end up within the hash marks between 5-10 yards from LOS

other stuff

• 39 second mark, middle screen, Tom needs to offer the outside to Crosby?? and avoid him making an inside move and being in the play
  • 1:06   First pass after the INT.  Out breaking route about 12 yards deep to the top of the screen is open.  looks like Love is looking that way 
  • 1:49   Goal line pass play after the Watson catch and run.....just gross play design.  2 man route with Love rolling left.  no motion to have a player on the move.  nothing backside or a deep back of end zone crosser
  • 3:23   Middle of field to Musgrave.  Looks like Musgrave drifts a little inside and Love puts it more outside

Heh, I just commented on that third and goal play on the other thread.  I have no idea what was supposed to happen there. 

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

other stuff

Matt LeFleuer is puzzled. These plays are working against Joe Barry’s defense at practice.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

Even on top of that, idk if it's just me, but also seems like so many short passes get some guy standing still in the flat vs being a moving target.  I mean I get it sometimes you have to have those but when you really need yardage it never helps to just have your guy waiting there while the LBs converge on him.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

other stuff

Musgrave and Love never seem to be on the same page.  

15 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Heh, I just commented on that third and goal play on the other thread.  I have no idea what was supposed to happen there. 

I hate the play design, but I gotta assume that's just supposed to be a designed play to the flat.  X is just supposed to run the coverage out of the way, Love hits the flat receiver as soon as he's open.  There's no other options on this play because it's supposed to be a single receiver safe shot; think the play the Seahawks lost the Superbowl on but without the chance for an INT.  No reads so no chance for miscommunication, either your guy makes the play or it goes incomplete, keeps the QB from getting hit.  It's a super weird design though; why run max protect for a ball that should be out almost immediately?  Why a moving pocket when that just lets the DBs get physical with your smaller receivers?  Why not have a guy at least leak out the protection to provide a potential option if the flat can't get off the line?  What the hell are they trying to have Doubs accomplish here?

All that being said, Love needs to throw this ball.  This is a dumb play not executed well, but holding it is just going to make things worse.  Slot has leverage to the boundary even with the tight coverage; this ball needed to be on its way to the pylon basically right after the slot makes his cut.  CB probably knocks it away, but there are no second options on this play and the whole point of throwing to the sideline on something like this is there's no chance for a pick.  Either your guy can box the CB out and make the contested catch or it's incomplete and you fight another day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StatKing said:

Some of that could be wide receivers and tight ends that are so young and inexperienced that they are running the wrong route or making the wrong route adjustment based on the defense alignment.  I saw at least five pass plays from the Raiders game where something was obviously wrong.  On all of them, Love hesitated throwing the ball and the pass was either incomplete or was just thrown for a short gain.

Both rookie tight ends and Watson really need work on route running. Watson's inexperience shows in his routes. Many routes are not tightly run and allow the defender to recognize the route sooner allowing them to break on the ball earlier. He also does not aggressively come back to the ball at times. There was one long throw from Love during the Raiders game that Watson was so interested in keeping the defender stacked behind him that he forgot that its about catching the ball and the ball fell harmlessly about 2 feet away from him. Hopefully with more experience and coaching these issues get cleared up. 

Three of Love's picks are passes intended for Watson. On the first one in the Lions game, Watson does not make an adjustment based on the defensive alignment. He runs straight down the field wherein with experience he will know to angle that route off the snap slightly to the sideline thereby creating a much bigger hole for Love to throw to away from the linebacker.

The second one was not really his fault but again the route could be slightly crisper. The defensive back either guessed the route (which he was known for taking guesses) or he recognized the route.  Either way, Love's pass should have been thrown slightly more inside.

The third one has me shaking my head.  I want my receiver to say "that's my ball".  Instead Watson starts backing up and its the defender who comes up to get it. Maybe the pass is underthrown, but Watson should have recognized that first and reacted faster than the defensive back....not the other way around.

With that said, there are a lot of legitimate questions around Love, but his receivers are not helping him out a lot at this point.  A lack of a running game is also hurting him.  He needs it at this point in his career.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

The second one was not really his fault but again the route could be slightly crisper. The defensive back either guessed the route (which he was known for taking guesses) or he recognized the route.  Either way, Love's pass should have been thrown slightly more inside.

After watching this one several times, it was honestly just a great play by Marcus Peters. He read that one the entire way and jumped it. He was out of the break before Watson was and went and got the ball.

• Like 1