Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

QB school week 5

Lots of commentary on some plays that most having been discussing.

Players in same area on routes.

Play design issues ( 3rd down play after Watson catch and run)

Peters jumping the route on the 2nd int, combined with iffy route combe 

Love off on deep throws

Missed crosser on last int

JT O' Sullivan gets super excited with the Love stiffarm on Crosby in the 4Q.

Musgrave on the ground too much

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I hate the play design, but I gotta assume that's just supposed to be a designed play to the flat.  X is just supposed to run the coverage out of the way, Love hits the flat receiver as soon as he's open.  There's no other options on this play because it's supposed to be a single receiver safe shot; think the play the Seahawks lost the Superbowl on but without the chance for an INT.  No reads so no chance for miscommunication, either your guy makes the play or it goes incomplete, keeps the QB from getting hit.  It's a super weird design though; why run max protect for a ball that should be out almost immediately?  Why a moving pocket when that just lets the DBs get physical with your smaller receivers?  Why not have a guy at least leak out the protection to provide a potential option if the flat can't get off the line?  What the hell are they trying to have Doubs accomplish here?

All that being said, Love needs to throw this ball.  This is a dumb play not executed well, but holding it is just going to make things worse.  Slot has leverage to the boundary even with the tight coverage; this ball needed to be on its way to the pylon basically right after the slot makes his cut.  CB probably knocks it away, but there are no second options on this play and the whole point of throwing to the sideline on something like this is there's no chance for a pick.  Either your guy can box the CB out and make the contested catch or it's incomplete and you fight another day.

Slot gets bodied and on 3rd and goal, running 2 yards short of the goalline isnt good enough.

Like, I'm not ready to see this yet, but....I'm throwing it out there....

Couple more losses with 50 yards in the air in the first half and I'm going to hope to see Clifford get a start or two this season.

I know the dumpster fire is the offensive line.  I understand youth at the skill positions.  I understand the injuries.

But Clifford had some moxie in the pre-season.  Would be interesting to see if that swagger carries over into a real game.

Apologies if others have stated this already.  I don't have the time right now to catch up on threads.  @Norm 's mom is keeping me busy with the honey-do stuff.  :)

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, PACKRULE said:

This is true. BF had Sterling and Brooks.

AR had Driver and Jennings.

Love has some nice weapons but they are raw and young. Both his top WR's last year missed time and this year too.

It's going to take time and until the WR's catch up a bit his % will be off. Get them all seeing it and not thinking it and i think they can take off. 

In Baseball, there's command & control. Love doesn't have either so far. Not a good sign for a 4th yr QB considering there are rookie QBs showing both (at least one RQB anyway) and a 2nd year "Mr Irrelevant" QB that has a ton of both.

The poor control, especially on the deep throws, is understandable. But, the awful command has been a huge issue. He's constantly wrong shouldering the receivers, throwing behind the route or worm burning the throw- ugh.

For a case study, look at those last two throws against the Raiders. Just off the charts horrible. Terrible accuracy- both control & command, terrible timing and terrible instincts.

Three and half years of development for that- horrific

Edited by Donzo
SVG error
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 2:01 PM, StatKing said:

The amount of excuses for this kid is straight up comical at this point. I was told sitting behind Rodgers was a positive, now it's a negative because he's "picked up his bad habits".

Lets recap the agenda Love stans have been trying to push over just the last two weeks

Yep- spot on.

Interesting how everything bad use to be the QBs fault with the group think. Awful OL play, terrible defenses, disastrous special teams play and bad receivers caused a lot of tough losses. But- all that was Rodgers' fault. Now, with the worst QB in the league since week two of the season, nothing is the QBs fault.

Too funny!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, Leader said:

Yes & no… 100% agree the AR comparisons are awful- I’ve said so many times. Love’s accuracy and instincts for an NFL QB are poor with no growth from season one to season four. He looks as lost now as he did in his season two start against the Chiefs or his 2nf half run against the Lions in game #17. That wasn't AR.

Now, the group think and Love apologists, like Nagler, are trying a Favre spin. Almost as bad as the Rodgers' comparison. Favre was thrown into the fire very early in his 2nd season when he wasn’t even close to being ready to play in the NFL. By his 4th season, the same season Love is in now, Favre was amazing. While Love has been the worst QB in the NFL since week #2 in his 4th season. So— just stop it with the comparisons to HOF QBs. Those are outlier comparisons and he has shown nothing to indicate a career path as a HOF QB.

For a true apples to apples comparison, these are the QBs he’s looked like:

JaMarcuss Russell,  Heath Shuler, Akilii Smith, Ryan Leaf, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Brandon Weedon, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, Paxton Lynch, Jamis Winston, EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Mitch Trubisky, Dwayne Haskins, Trey Lance, Daniel Jones, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tanyhill, etc, etc…

Just the way it is.

11 hours ago, Donzo said:

Yes & no… 100% agree the AR comparisons are awful- I’ve said so many times. Love’s accuracy and instincts for an NFL QB are poor with no growth from season one to season four. He looks as lost now as he did in his season two start against the Chiefs or his 2nf half run against the Lions in game #17. That wasn't AR.

Now, the group think and Love apologists, like Nagler, are trying a Favre spin. Almost as bad as the Rodgers' comparison. Favre was thrown into the fire very early in his 2nd season when he wasn’t even close to being ready to play in the NFL. By his 4th season, the same season Love is in now, Favre was amazing. While Love has been the worst QB in the NFL since week #2 in his 4th season. So— just stop it with the comparisons to HOF QBs. Those are outlier comparisons and he has shown nothing to indicate a career path as a HOF QB.

For a true apples to apples comparison, these are the QBs he’s looked like:

JaMarcuss Russell,  Heath Shuler, Akilii Smith, Ryan Leaf, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Brandon Weedon, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, Paxton Lynch, Jamis Winston, EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Mitch Trubisky, Dwayne Haskins, Trey Lance, Daniel Jones, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tanyhill, etc, etc…

Just the way it is.

%D0%B0%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%85.gif

• Like 2

While I think almost all QB should sit at least a year to acclimate to the level of speed and complexity of the NFL, it's not really the asset some people are making it out to be. He hasn't seen regular game speed reps since college. That's as much of a negative as the time to learn is a positive. Acting like he should come in and be a consistent high end QB year 1 is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spilltray said:

While I think almost all QB should sit at least a year to acclimate to the level of speed and complexity of the NFL, it's not really the asset some people are making it out to be. He hasn't seen regular game speed reps since college. That's as much of a negative as the time to learn is a positive. Acting like he should come in and be a consistent high end QB year 1 is absolutely ridiculous.

He shouldn't be the reason we lose games. We've yet to have 100 yards passing in a first half and I think 3/5 of our games we have had less than 50 yards passing in the first half. That's just unacceptable. A 78 passer rating is absolutely putrid.

I think I read somewhere the other day he was like 6/25 on passes more than 20+ yards, in other words, he has as many 20+ yard completions as he does interceptions.

If you aren't worried about what you've seen so far you should be, it's not what you want out of a guy in year 4.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think they should look at QBs in this draft.  They'll probably be drafting high.  Of course you gotta let this play out for the season, but I'd be taking a serious look at what's out there in the draft at QB.  

Depends on what pick we end up having. If we have a top 10 pick we have to look at a QB.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He shouldn't be the reason we lose games. We've yet to have 100 yards passing in a first half and I think 3/5 of our games we have had less than 50 yards passing in the first half. That's just unacceptable. A 78 passer rating is absolutely putrid.

I think I read somewhere the other day he was like 6/25 on passes more than 20+ yards, in other words, he has as many 20+ yard completions as he does interceptions.

If you aren't worried about what you've seen so far you should be, it's not what you want out of a guy in year 4.

No I'm not worried. He's had moments, it's a problem of consistency. He's also been dealing with a patchwork OL, no running game, and I don't think you can have a group of WR/TE that's more green. 

I'm still willing to give him this year and next to see if they can develop around him before rushing to a hasty judgement.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

No I'm not worried. He's had moments, it's a problem of consistency. He's also been dealing with a patchwork OL, no running game, and I don't think you can have a group of WR/TE that's more green. 

I'm still willing to give him this year and next to see if they can develop around him before rushing to a hasty judgement.

If we had competent QB play we would easily be 4-1 this year. This team is a missed Saints field goal away from being 1-4. It's been bad outside of the Bears game.

• Like 1