Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah.  I have some observations from yesterday concerning Love...and my thoughts.

• TV broadcasts are tough to watch, you really can't see the field too well.  But, there were two plays that I saw where multiple receivers open and Love showed zero anticipation and zero field vision.  He held the ball and the plays were ruined.  These were not deep routes, they were layered "ins" with check downs.
  • He's very hesitant.  He doesn't see it and rip it.  He doesn't throw with any anticipation.

I'm not an advocate of pulling Love at any point this season, you have to give him a full 17 games and there's no utility in pulling him anyways because the season is already over. Just play him and see what he has to offer for the next season if he ends up being the guy. 

That being said, I do agree with some of the issues highlighted above and they are the same qualms I've had with him to date, especially the 2nd bullet point. The anticipation and field reading skills concern with me Love. That stuff can be developed and learned over time to some extent but it's also a natural gift. I'm worried he just never gets there on a consistent basis. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

To have the arm to overthrow this is bonkers.

And Kyle Boller could throw from midfield through the uprights, on his knees.  He still wasn't any good at playing football.  Eventually there has to be some results.  I'm not saying dump him now.  But we also don't need to find a new excuse or someone else to blame every time he doesn't succeed.  Just like we had the Rodgers can do no wrong crowd vs the Rodgers can do no right crowd, we have the same thing with Love.  Can we watch and see that some things are bad, and other things are good?  Then maybe evaluate whether things are mostly good or mostly bad? Or do we need to pick a side immediately and argue it no matter what the evidence states?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And Kyle Boller could throw from midfield through the uprights, on his knees.  He still wasn't any good at playing football.  Eventually there has to be some results.  I'm not saying dump him now.  But we also don't need to find a new excuse or someone else to blame every time he doesn't succeed.  Just like we had the Rodgers can do no wrong crowd vs the Rodgers can do no right crowd, we have the same thing with Love.  Can we watch and see that some things are bad, and other things are good?  Then maybe evaluate whether things are mostly good or mostly bad? Or do we need to pick a side immediately and argue it no matter what the evidence states?

The Jerk from the top rope!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jordan Love isn't Kyle Boller. People need to put into context that literally everything within this offense is a mess right now. There's ample proof that all 11 guys on the field and those with headsets on on the sidelines are all inept atm. There's just no viable way to fairly assess what Love is or isn't. He gets all season and likely 2024. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Jordan Love isn't Kyle Boller. People need to put into context that literally everything within this offense is a mess right now. There's ample proof that all 11 guys on the field and those with headsets on on the sidelines are all inept atm. There's just no viable way to fairly assess what Love is or isn't. He gets all season and likely 2024. 

This is the important bit.  This team is currently making everything look way harder than it is because everybody is pressing trying to get things back on track.  I mean the 1st Quarter offense yesterday was a master class in team failure.  First play,  Love does a hell of a job staying alive and throws an incredible pass to Doubs who makes a fantastic catch.  Nope, JK, penalty.  Then Love gets them off-sides but doesn't even give his receiver a chance on the free play, then Myers gets absolutely humiliated on 3rd and short.  Next series Aaron Jones drops an absolute lay-up catch on 2nd down, and it looks so fun Musgrave decides he wants to try it on 3rd down.  So two series in, we have two basically 3 and outs, and our list of the guilty is Walker on the penalty, Love on the missed free play, Myers on 3rd and short, Jones on a drop, and Musgrave on a drop.  I mean somehow in 8 plays every single position group manages to be guilty of a mistake that single-handedly kills a play.  There's no evaluating anyone when this is the performance you're getting across the board.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

DebbieDowner.webp

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So then do we blame Gute for assembling the mess? Or LaFleur for coaching/gameplanning the mess? 

At some point we can't simply say "oh well, this is the way it goes" and be content with a completely wasted season, which is the way it's headed if we are so inept that we can't even get a fair assessment of the guys worth keeping in 2024. This mess didn't manifest itself. I've been screaming since the draft that I wanted a fair evaluation for Love this season and that meant getting him some talent at the skill positions to help him get a fair assessment. Yet, here we are. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

So then do we blame Gute for assembling the mess? Or LaFleur for coaching/gameplanning the mess? 

At some point we can't simply say "oh well, this is the way it goes" and be content with it a completely wasted season, which is the way it's headed if we are so inept that we can't even get a fair assessment of the guys worth keeping in 2024. This mess didn't manifest itself. I've been screaming since the draft that I wanted a fair evaluation for Love this season and that meant getting him some talent at the skill positions to help him get a fair assessment. Yet, here we are. 

We blame no one as it's October. If we have these issues at the end of December, blame needs to be assigned and paid for.

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

At some point we can't simply say "oh well, this is the way it goes" and be content with it a completely wasted season, which is the way it's headed if we are so inept that we can't even get a fair assessment of the guys worth keeping in 2024. This mess didn't manifest itself. I've been screaming since the draft that I wanted a fair evaluation for Love this season and that meant getting him some talent at the skill positions to help him get a fair assessment. Yet, here we are. 

There's talent on the field, it's just inexperienced as all get out. You can't blame Gute when the only avenue to fielding a real team was going full youth due to the cap. There's $60 Million in dead cap not on the field ffs. You blame the guy on the sidelines for not making things easier on his youth. AG has pointed out that we have too many looks and not enough plays out of those looks so defenses know what to expect. Dumb it down, make it simpler. MLF has shown that he can't adapt to his players so far. Square peg, round hole. Said it numerous times in the GDTs. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not an advocate of pulling Love at any point this season, you have to give him a full 17 games and there's no utility in pulling him anyways because the season is already over. Just play him and see what he has to offer for the next season if he ends up being the guy. 

That being said, I do agree with some of the issues highlighted above and they are the same qualms I've had with him to date, especially the 2nd bullet point. The anticipation and field reading skills concern with me Love. That stuff can be developed and learned over time to some extent but it's also a natural gift. I'm worried he just never gets there on a consistent basis. 

He's going to need to show serious improvement in the second half of the season or the Packers will need to draft another QB in the first couple rounds of the draft.  I doubt they view Clifford as a serious long term starting QB option.  It's kind of on Love now to show that he's the long term answer .. if they are not 100 percent sure he's the guy they would be wise to snag another QB they like and see if that one hits.  Love is probably the guy for 2024 as well, but they are going to want some options I would think.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's going to need to show serious improvement in the second half of the season or the Packers will need to draft another QB in the first couple rounds of the draft.  I doubt they view Clifford as a serious long term starting QB option.  It's kind of on Love now to show that he's the long term answer .. if they are not 100 percent sure he's the guy they would be wise to snag another QB they like and see if that one hits.  Love is probably the guy for 2024 as well, but they are going to want some options I would think.

Unless the Packers are picking top 3, we're probably better off taking a stud OT, and rolling with the same group next year for some continuity and to see the potential growth. If we suck again, then yeah, take a QB with a better supporting cast around them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So then do we blame Gute for assembling the mess? Or LaFleur for coaching/gameplanning the mess

We blame Aaron Rodgers for being a pouty ***** and putting us in this position. And we credit Gute for assembling a team full of young talent. We can also blame the coaching staff for not doing as well as they probably could be right now with that young talent.

We don't need to blame people for the inevitable ebb and flow of roster building in the NFL, either.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We blame Aaron Rodgers for being a pouty ***** and putting us in this position. And we credit Gute for assembling a team full of young talent. We can also blame the coaching staff for not doing as well as they probably could be right now with that young talent.

We don't need to blame people for the inevitable ebb and flow of roster building in the NFL, either.

Jordan Love stinks because of Aaron Rodgers.  I guess I have heard it all now.

• Like 2