Unpopular opinion... Josh Harris should clean house & tank for Caleb Williams

turtle28

48 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Seeing how this worked for the Orioles, I definitely am in favor of it.  Even after graduating Adley, Henderson and a couple others, these guys still have eight prospects in MLB Pipeline’s Top 100.  The Orioles are going to be good for a long time, and part of that has to do with tanking.  

However, in the NFL, if you have competent leadership, which we haven’t had since Joe Gibbs 1.0, you can turn things around fairly quickly and your one losing season wouldn’t even be considered a tank job.  

And that is the other part.  The Orioles actually got competent leadership who did not ignore the Latin American player pool.  They did not ignore the analytics department.  They did not ignore overhauling a player development system whose employees’ biggest claim to fame were being former Orioles.  This is where the Commanders are it.  We do not have competent football people, and besides Eric Schaeffer and Kyle Smith, haven’t really had them………and there was only so much those two could do without being fully in-charge. 

Gibbs had JKC and his wallet- no salary cap. Quite a different game these days .

• Like 1

I’m very curious to see what this team looks like this season. We are a complete unknown. Moreso then any other team we could Gel the young core and potentially top at 11 wins if everything clicked or we could be on our way to 6 cardiac wins. We shall see soon enough!!! I’m currently about to vacation and just chill on a much needed vacation and celebrate surviving the Snyder era and hopefully come back to news that the NFL is pushing twards voting on the sale. Then I will start pre ranking some prospects im looking forward to grading out going into next year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Gibbs had JKC and his wallet- no salary cap. Quite a different game these days .

All of that is irrelevant.  Do you really think Bruce Allen was a competent football person?  Or Spurrier?  Or Zorn?  The competent ones were hamstrung by Snyder himself, he couldn’t get out of his own way.  Schottenheimer and Shanahan were eventually hamstrung by Snyder.  Hell, even Jimmy the Rat was a more than competent drafter and personnel guy with the 49ers but ended up being Snyder’s yes man.  

They need one vision from the top down, which we haven’t had since Gibbs 1.0

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

All of that is irrelevant.  Do you really think Bruce Allen was a competent football person?  Or Spurrier?  Or Zorn?  The competent ones were hamstrung by Snyder himself, he couldn’t get out of his own way.  Schottenheimer and Shanahan were eventually hamstrung by Snyder.  Hell, even Jimmy the Rat was a more than competent drafter and personnel guy with the 49ers but ended up being Snyder’s yes man.  

They need one vision from the top down, which we haven’t had since Gibbs 1.0

That's not true of Gibbs 1.0. Gibbs had general managers. The general managers acquired the talent, Gibbs evaluated them as they developed & they both decided along with the assistant coaches who would make the team.

Without Bobby Bethard, Gibbs wouldn't have even finished his 2nd season, Jack Kent Cooke wanted Gibbs fired after his 0-5 start but Bethard talked him out of it.

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Seeing how this worked for the Orioles, I definitely am in favor of it.  Even after graduating Adley, Henderson and a couple others, these guys still have eight prospects in MLB Pipeline’s Top 100.  The Orioles are going to be good for a long time, and part of that has to do with tanking.  

However, in the NFL, if you have competent leadership, which we haven’t had since Joe Gibbs 1.0, you can turn things around fairly quickly and your one losing season wouldn’t even be considered a tank job.  

And that is the other part.  The Orioles actually got competent leadership who did not ignore the Latin American player pool.  They did not ignore the analytics department.  They did not ignore overhauling a player development system whose employees’ biggest claim to fame were being former Orioles.  This is where the Commanders are it.  We do not have competent football people, and besides Eric Schaeffer and Kyle Smith, haven’t really had them………and there was only so much those two could do without being fully in-charge. 

There's an argument to be made there for sure. I think it can be difficult to compare a sport where you can send down and bring up players, but yes for the Orioles the long term benefits were positive vs. just middling about and withering on the vine. I think the closest I got was with wanting us to just play Haskins the rest of the year instead of plugging in Alex Smith. We would've been in a much better draft position (and possibly have been able to get Micah rather than Jamin).

By the way, to answer to the post title. I don't necessarily disagree with it. I just still think this team is probably too good to be close enough to the bottom. I think there is still a chance (even if it's a small one) that Howell could be a diamond in the rough. Been saying it for almost as long as @lavar703. I want him to get a fair shake. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's not true of Gibbs 1.0. Gibbs had general managers. The general managers acquired the talent, Gibbs evaluated them as they developed & they both decided along with the assistant coaches who would make the team.

Without Bobby Bethard, Gibbs wouldn't have even finished his 2nd season, Jack Kent Cooke wanted Gibbs fired after his 0-5 start but Bethard talked him out of it.

I didnt mean Gibbs specifically, but that era of football as a whole.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

By the way, to answer to the post title. I don't necessarily disagree with it. I just still think this team is probably too good to be close enough to the bottom. I think there is still a chance (even if it's a small one) that Howell could be a diamond in the rough. Been saying it for almost as long as @lavar703. I want him to get a fair shake. 

Is this opinion based solely on the fact that Howell could be above average, or is there more to it?  Because I’d argue with our middling coaching staff, and meh talent level, if Howell isn’t an above average starter, this could be another ugly year.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Is this opinion based solely on the fact that Howell could be above average, or is there more to it?  Because I’d argue with our middling coaching staff, and meh talent level, if Howell isn’t an above average starter, this could be another ugly year.  

It's based on Howell being above average. Heinicke level. If Howell sucks, we suck. But then Brissett plays, and so he's good enough that I don't think we're near the bottom. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:27 AM, turtle28 said:

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he is the greatest general manager ever. Now that just me. Maybe I am a little bias b/c I am a skins fan but this guy made bold moves with trades, draft picks and FA's. If I remember correctly he came from the Dolphins and made some excellent picks for them during their super bowl run. Man I miss that guy. He is right up there with my all time Reskins Jurgensen and Taylor. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 2:06 PM, MikeT14 said:

I tend to agree, but it's the only thing this franchise hasn’t tried in the last 28 & 29 years since were bad enough to draft Heath Shuler & Michael Westbrook in the top 5 in 1994 & 1995. We have traded for vets, traded up for QBs & signed FAs to stay mediocre but we haven’t tried to tank since 1993 &94 and honestly, we weren't even trying to tank back then, we just weren't good. 😂 

On 5/19/2023 at 9:06 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree but I think Howell & then Brissett if he took over for Howell bc Howell would've been bad, would have to be like worst QB in the league bad for us to be close to the top pick in the draft w/o us trading away or cutting a lot of vets.

We’re more likely to win 5-7 games again.

Unpopular opinion... Josh Harris should clean house & tank for Caleb Williams

Hmmmmm Josh harris should clean house. Well what would you do if you was JH. Me personally I wouldn't clean house just yet but it is on the menu. Since JH is from the DC area and I sure he was a Skins fan growing up. Now I am old school so I would change the name back to REDSKIN and then I would see about the land that the old RFK stadium is on and rebuild a new RFK stadium.  All of this is for the fans. Synder did such a horrible job in destroying our fan base to the point many just lost their trust with this guy. The opposition fans outnumbering our own fans at home games was down right shameful. All of this has always caused much irrattion. There's lots more to do here and I am sure everyone has their own to do list.

Speaking of Williams well he always been on my wish list but unfortunatly we will never get a chance to draft him.