2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Velus played a pretty pivotal role in getting us #1 in retrospect 

I sometimes think about Mooney dropping that easy TD pass at the end of the game vs WAS and how lucky it was that he did blow it. It was a pretty damn easy catch for being a red zone toss and he bobbled it.

And that helped get Moore. lol 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

ANother way to think about it: if Velus was a 7th rd pick would he have been waived by now or would we be pleased he can field punts and do oddball fast guy stuff on offense every now and then?

Nope, the muffs would’ve been more unforgivable 

21 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

ANother way to think about it: if Velus was a 7th rd pick would he have been waived by now or would we be pleased he can field punts and do oddball fast guy stuff on offense every now and then?

I'm about to say something that will be widely disagreed with...

We have went and got a WR in DJ Moore who brings size, speed, physicality, run after the catch & the ability to take a short pass for huge gains...as much as I like the makeup and mix of Claypool, Mooney & even Scott the only other receiver on this roster with the same sort of size, speed, physicality, run after the catch & one touch one score ability is Velus...he isn't a punt returner and in fairness it was always a projection to say he was considering in a 5 year college career across two schools he only returned 18 punts which all came in his senior year...he is a kick off returner...he finished 3rd in the NFL last year in yards per kick return...that shouldn't be overlooked and without doubt adds value...

Where I need to see him develop now is as a receiver...put him on the field...use him how Tennessee did on jets, screens & slants because he can get you yards in a hurry because be has a unique blend of skills...obviously they need developed but take him away from punt returning and the pressure that brings and let him return kicks and try to develop a role in the receiver rotation.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We have went and got a WR in DJ Moore who brings size, speed, physicality, run after the catch & the ability to take a short pass for huge gains...as much as I like the makeup and mix of Claypool, Mooney & even Scott the only other receiver on this roster with the same sort of size, speed, physicality, run after the catch & one touch one score ability is Velus...he isn't a punt returner and in fairness it was always a projection to say he was considering in a 5 year college career across two schools he only returned 18 punts which all came in his senior year...he is a kick off returner...he finished 3rd in the NFL last year in yards per kick return...that shouldn't be overlooked and without doubt adds value...

Where I need to see him develop now is as a receiver...put him on the field...use him how Tennessee did on jets, screens & slants because he can get you yards in a hurry because be has a unique blend of skills...obviously they need developed but take him away from punt returning and the pressure that brings and let him return kicks and try to develop a role in the receiver rotation.

4E378FE4-94C8-46A2-A4E4-D7A196AC4CA9_4_5

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Can't recall which podcast I was listening to but they had a similar idea but expressed it as making him into a Cordarelle Patterson type of ??? player.  Fine by me!

29 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Can't recall which podcast I was listening to but they had a similar idea but expressed it as making him into a Cordarelle Patterson type of ??? player.  Fine by me!

Questionable hands but insane athletic ability… can he play corner? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Hear me out:  

He's fast and can't catch, and the league is moving back towards athletic QBs...  Why not give him some snaps at quarterback?

Why won't you hear me out?

Because the Bears already have QB1, QB1B and QB2 between Roschon, Fields and Bagent (in that order). That would be way too many cooks in the kitchen. Haven't you heard the phrase if you have too many QB's you don't have one? Dummy

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Because the Bears already have QB1, QB1B and QB2 between Roschon, Fields and Bagent (in that order). That would be way too many cooks in the kitchen. Haven't you heard the phrase if you have too many QB's you don't have one? Dummy

I mean we need a C. Have you ever seen a C run a 4.31 40? Snaps the ball and pulls to be a lead blocker for Fields on a QB sweep. Hello dynasty. 

• Like 1