2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

19 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If it's anything like the Griffin one,  undelete, that is hilarious

It was really funny.  It was a skit with too much cussing for me though.

I didn't want that associated with my account.  

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

They hit a super rough stretch of games at the end of the reg season too..... Not sure what's going on over there, tbh...  but I'm going to assume it was Jalen Carter related because we passed on him.

Their coach is so unlikable and useless and is letting the inmates run the prison so to speak

I think him promoting Matt Patricia to DC over Sean Desai mid season was a real head scratcher

If I recall correctly when Darius Slay was playing CB in Detroit under Patricia he didn't have very kind words to say about him after his trade to Philly

Just a weird set of moves. Wouldn't be surprised if they move on from that coaching staff and start fresh 

Also for all the proase Hurts got last year he didn't have as good of a follow up season

If you honestly asked me who'd I'd rather have as my QB I'd pick Fields over Hurts all day, especially considering how much Hurts makes 

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If you honestly asked me who'd I'd rather have as my QB I'd pick Fields over Hurts all day, especially considering how much Hurts makes 

Fields' escapability making all the difference again. From the pocket and from his contract, he beats Hurts for both. Lol

Honestly, the Eagles game last night swayed me towards the Caleb route.

Fields best comp has always been Hurts. A good runner, can make passes, but got drastically better when he got better players around him and competent coaching (i know, could be the same about all QBs) BUT take out respectable coaching and 1 player, and nothing Hurts did last night JF couldn't do. And while some people will argue that this is what we need to do for JF - get him a good OC and 1-2 more playmakers, i think it just highlights that these are "win with" QBs and not "win because" QBs.

the draft is a crapshoot, and nobody knows how these players are going to turn out. but normally, when a guy his freshman year of college showed the skills and tools to back then be like, "oh in three years this kid is gonna go #1" and 3 years later is ABSOLUTELY in that discussion, that means there's something there. and like all prospects, mostly and especially QB, that have been "the guy" for a year+, people begin focusing on what they cant do and the negatives more than what they can do and their positives. i've seen caleb make throws that i would KILL for a bears QB to make. he needs coaching, but all guys do - they don't come into the league perfect. and while i think that the locker room might be hard to win over after what JF has done, i think Caleb coming into the league is at least at the same level of JF right now, but i think CW has a much higher ceiling of growth than what I think JF can still do. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i think Caleb coming into the league is at least at the same level of JF right now, but i think CW has a much higher ceiling of growth than what I think JF can still do. 

I think it is extremely foolish to expect any Rookie QB ever is going to be “at the same level” as any other highly drafted QB with multiple years in the league under their belt. And that’s not even a talent thing, that’s just dealing with the NFL and pro-level defenses. 

You are basically saying he has to be at least CJ Stroud (possibly the best rookie season ever) to just meet your expectations, because he is the only Rookie in forever to come in and handle everything NFL like he’s been a 5 year vet. 

14 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think it is extremely foolish to expect any Rookie QB ever is going to be “at the same level” as any other highly drafted QB with multiple years in the league under their belt. And that’s not even a talent thing, that’s just dealing with the NFL and pro-level defenses. 

idk man, i think you could say CW is "at the same level" as Zach Wilson or Trey Lance. Both highly drafted with multiple years in the league.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What happened to Jalen Hurts?

I stopped watching most other teams in 2nd half of year and a lot of them went crazy. 

I have a mate who is an Eagles fan who said his knee got hurt week 2...he then banged up his non-throwing shoulder a few weeks later...then the finger before the play off loss...basically not been close to 100% all season...

The Eagles OL taking a massive step backwards in pass pro didn't help either

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have a mate who is an Eagles fan who said his knee got hurt week 2...he then banged up his non-throwing shoulder a few weeks later...then the finger before the play off loss...basically not been close to 100% all season...

The Eagles OL taking a massive step backwards in pass pro didn't help either

If you're in the keep Fields camp, Hurts is a pretty good litmus test for what you need to have around him:  superb OL, healthy QB run game, very good WR.  Not sure even with a center upgrade our OL is good enough; there were times when Fields could have written a novel back there and other games where you were watching for the EDGE slipping a hundo to the tackle on his way past.  If they were to keep FIelds I think you want to get another tackle, a center and probably a free agent vet guard to backup Jenkins/replace whitehair. 

7 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If you're in the keep Fields camp, Hurts is a pretty good litmus test for what you need to have around him:  superb OL, healthy QB run game, very good WR.  Not sure even with a center upgrade our OL is good enough; there were times when Fields could have written a novel back there and other games where you were watching for the EDGE slipping a hundo to the tackle on his way past.  If they were to keep FIelds I think you want to get another tackle, a center and probably a free agent vet guard to backup Jenkins/replace whitehair. 

I think the play caller change in PHI was massive. Their personnel was the same as 2022, and outside of Kelce and Lane (both of whom were still studs) is still all young. Hurts struggled a lot this year. Take away the dozen or so QB sneak TDs that could just as easily be RB TDs and aren’t really a testament to any real QB skill (successful QB sneaks are principally OL wins IMO) and he was a QB with 23 TDs and 15 INTs in 2023 despite having two #1 caliber WRs, an above average receiving TE and a pro bowl RB all behind one of the better OL in the league. What I take away from that was that the difference between an MVP candidate and a middle of the pack starter sometimes is not much more than who is pulling the strings. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the play caller change in PHI was massive. Their personnel was the same as 2022, and outside of Kelce and Lane (both of whom were still studs) is still all young. Hurts struggled a lot this year. Take away the dozen or so QB sneak TDs that could just as easily be RB TDs and aren’t really a testament to any real QB skill (successful QB sneaks are principally OL wins IMO) and he was a QB with 23 TDs and 15 INTs in 2023 despite having two #1 caliber WRs, an above average receiving TE and a pro bowl RB all behind one of the better OL in the league. What I take away from that was that the difference between an MVP candidate and a middle of the pack starter sometimes is not much more than who is pulling the strings. 

I couldn't agree more...very few QBs can overcome bad play calling and/or a lack of talent around them in the modern game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

very few QBs can overcome bad play calling and/or a lack of talent around them in the modern game

I agree, and isn’t this really the heart of the Fields/Williams decision? Fields being a QB who can’t entirely overcome bad play calling (a factor for him in Chicago that nobody disputes) doesn’t make him substandard in that regard - it makes him normal in that regard. Hurts struggled with it. Allen struggled with it. Tua struggled with it. Hell even Mahomes is impacted by it with Nagy and he’s an unquestionably transcendent talent.

(Not trying to make this thread another discussion about Fields’ viability specifically - posting this as an observation about NFL QBs in general, and he’s a QB). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree, and isn’t this really the heart of the Fields/Williams decision? Fields being a QB who can’t entirely overcome bad play calling (a factor for him in Chicago that nobody disputes) doesn’t make him substandard in that regard - it makes him normal in that regard. Hurts struggled with it. Allen struggled with it. Tua struggled with it. Hell even Mahomes is impacted by it with Nagy and he’s an unquestionably transcendent talent.

(Not trying to make this thread another discussion about Fields’ viability specifically - posting this as an observation about NFL QBs in general, and he’s a QB). 

Mahomes is the interesting experiment,  although I'm not sure what the lesson to take away is.  Clearly an excellent QB, but even he gets limited by lower quality skill positions and... no nice way to say "Matt Nagy" so... Matt Nagy.  

If I cam out with the plan that you need a good QB, good OL, good skills players, and good coaching do you think a team would hire me as Offensive Consultant who Takes a Lot of Time Off?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Mahomes is the interesting experiment,  although I'm not sure what the lesson to take away is.  Clearly an excellent QB, but even he gets limited by lower quality skill positions and... no nice way to say "Matt Nagy" so... Matt Nagy.  

If I cam out with the plan that you need a good QB, good OL, good skills players, and good coaching do you think a team would hire me as Offensive Consultant who Takes a Lot of Time Off?

You’d think the idea of making it work with suboptimal parts would be more openly despised by the fan base, yet here we are largely obsessed with finding players who can overcome unnecessary adversity in ways that few in the sport can. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1