Training Camp and Preseason

onejayhawk

I'm not really sure the team views #1 WR as a thing, at this point. They have roles more than they have a pecking order. Like, last year, JuJu and MVS had near identical snap counts. JuJu got more targets and catches because that aligned with his role. MVS ran way more deep routes and averaged way more per catch because that was his role. Moore could be the #1 in the same sense that JuJu was, that he'll get the most targets and catches at WR, because that's the role he'll likely take over. But that's not really that meaningful for us anyway. Especially when by any meaningful definition Kelce is probably honestly our #1 WR. And it's probably going to be even more by committee this year than it was last year, with how the low depth chart guys have been balling out.

Ross has definitely shifted the conversation from if he'll make the roster, to how many snaps he's going to demand. He seems like he'll be a red zone threat in a way we haven't really had since....Bowe? At least in terms of true WRs.

On the flipside, kind of feels like Rice is probably nuking his snap count with the drops.

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

On the flipside, kind of feels like Rice is probably nuking his snap count with the drops.

They seem to have complete confidence in the guy despite the drops, they have been force-feeding him the ball because he’s got the talent just needs reps. 

Preseason drops are meaningless, if this continues in the regular season then I think you’ll see less snaps. But who knows how many really since he’s a rookie. Andy won’t play you if he thinks it’ll drop your confidence, he’ll work hard to rebuild you back up.

36 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Preseason drops are meaningless, if this continues in the regular season then I think you’ll see less snaps. But who knows how many really since he’s a rookie. Andy won’t play you if he thinks it’ll drop your confidence, he’ll work hard to rebuild you back up.

Yeah this week was rough for Rice drops wise.  But the force feeding I think is more of a test to see what he knows route wise and what he can handle.  I think in that sense he’s proven a lot.  Catching can improve quickly, but for Andy he’s gotta know you’re going to be where you’re supposed to be when the play is called.  So many of our plays START with timing, might not be how they end because of 15, but that’s where they begin. 

1. Toney (probably IR/PUP at this point)

2. MVS

3. SKYY

4. Watson

5. James

6. Ross

7. Rice

8. Smith-Marrisette

So do we keep 7? Do we try to move MVS for SOMETHING before cutting him next year to save salary cap? Do both Watson and James make the final 53? I don’t know with his pre-season that Smith-Marisette makes it to PS.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

1. Toney (probably IR/PUP at this point)

2. MVS

3. SKYY

4. Watson

5. James

6. Ross

7. Rice

8. Smith-Marrisette

So do we keep 7? Do we try to move MVS for SOMETHING before cutting him next year to save salary cap? Do both Watson and James make the final 53? I don’t know with his pre-season that Smith-Marisette makes it to PS.

I think they definitely keep 7, it's just a question of if Toney goes IR or not. If he does, maybe they stash Imhir with that spot to start and then you have him if anyone else gets hurt before Toney returns. But I think if they see Toney coming back soon enough to not throw him on the short term IR, we lose Imhir as a result.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

They seem to have complete confidence in the guy despite the drops, they have been force-feeding him the ball because he’s got the talent just needs reps. 

I would argue the force feeding is probably because of the drops. It's long been an Andy thing to go right back to the guy who just messed up, whether it's a fumble or drop or whatever.

But when the games start to matter, with how competitive the WR room has looked? I just don't know that they'll trust him over Moore or James or Ross now. Could see him getting Hardman treatment. Some gadget plays and stuff to use the athleticism, but not really trusting him with as much of the normal WR stuff over some of the other guys this year.

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’d be so happy to be wrong, but there ain’t no way

Bear in mind this is next season not this one. 

I think Skyy will be significantly better this season. Like Willie Gay, it's taking a bit longer but he's getting there. 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I would argue the force feeding is probably because of the drops. It's long been an Andy thing to go right back to the guy who just messed up, whether it's a fumble or drop or whatever.

But when the games start to matter, with how competitive the WR room has looked? I just don't know that they'll trust him over Moore or James or Ross now. Could see him getting Hardman treatment. Some gadget plays and stuff to use the athleticism, but not really trusting him with as much of the normal WR stuff over some of the other guys this year.

Force feeding somebody the ball, making them the focal point, that’s a little more than going right back to them after a drop. Especially a rookie. Skyy never got this treatment, which speaking of, I’m still trying to figure out how productive Skyy really will be. Is it enough to bench Rice? Probably not

@EMAW_KSUmentioned earlier that knowing where to be and being there on time is more important for Reid, and I agree. Once he stops thinking and gets the reps i suspect the drops will start disappearing 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Force feeding somebody the ball, making them the focal point, that’s a little more than going right back to them after a drop. Especially a rookie. Skyy never got this treatment, which speaking of, I’m still trying to figure out how productive Skyy really will be. Is it enough to bench Rice? Probably not

@EMAW_KSUmentioned earlier that knowing where to be and being there on time is more important for Reid, and I agree. Once he stops thinking and gets the reps i suspect the drops will start disappearing 

In the regular season? Sure. In the preseason? Yes, you absolutely give a guy more snaps/touches/targets because you DON'T trust him, not because you do. Being made the focal point in a preseason game is arguably a bad thing in terms of projected role in the regular season.

And asking if it's enough to bench Rice, Rice is already on the bench. He's comfortably like 5th or 6th in the pecking order right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

So still no clear idea if I should draft Rice or J Ross? 🤷🏾‍♂️😬

Probably shouldn't draft either, honestly. At least in normal leagues. Ross is a decent last round flyer in Best Ball leagues, as is Richie James actually. But I don't think Rice's spot in the depth chart justifies where he's going in fantasy drafts. He's Skyy Moore one year later. Ross is correctly placed in rankings but shouldn't be rostered at all right now in normal leagues.

22 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

In the regular season? Sure. In the preseason? Yes, you absolutely give a guy more snaps/touches/targets because you DON'T trust him, not because you do. Being made the focal point in a preseason game is arguably a bad thing in terms of projected role in the regular season.

And asking if it's enough to bench Rice, Rice is already on the bench. He's comfortably like 5th or 6th in the pecking order right now.

So they must’ve trusted Skyy a heck of a lot last year, cuz I don’t remember him being a focus on offense in the preseason. 

it’s great to be discussing about WR3-7 btw, some fans are arguing about their QB 1 lol

16 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think because of talent, we’ll see Rice and Ross in some packages.  Not starting but involved.  Ross has to be involved in red zone packages too much potential to not utilize.

With Fortson out there’s definitely need for a designated redzone guy