Training Camp and Preseason

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Then it's between Richie James, Rice, and Justyn Ross. It could shake out several different ways and injuries always play a part.

Don't count out Smith-Marsette. I liked what I saw last night. The guy is a  baller.

Tough decisions upcoming to make roster cuts.

19 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Don't count out Smith-Marsette. I liked what I saw last night. The guy is a  baller.

If Toney starts the year on IR I could see him making the initial 53. Right now he’s my WR8 and I have 7 making the cut. If he can make it through the year on the practice squad, I think he makes the roster next year. 

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

If Toney starts the year on IR I could see him making the initial 53.

Yeah, i'm not confident in K.Toney at all. He's fragile as glass. And he's dealing with a torn meniscus in his knee. I just don't see KT bouncing back from that this year. Not if we're trying to count on him as a playmaker. I'd rather have a healthy Smith-Marsette on the field.

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

His biggest weakness is getting beat over the top due to lack of size to contest jump balls. But his short area quickness, speed, aggressiveness and tackling ability are perfect for the slot. Our defense started doing much better when Sneed was outside with McDuffie in the middle later into the year.

I agree we need more flexibility, running exclusive cover two man will become to predictable sooner rather than later. 

That is the gist of it. With Sneed apparently out for an extended period, we need more slot coverage.

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I don't completely count ISM out. If enough players are on PUP he might sneak in as WR7.

Chances are that he will get claimed if we release him. 

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is a very hard system to pick up. Kadarius Toney and Richie James were coming from a similar system that NYG ran. A better comparison would be Skyy Moore last season. With a year and an offseason under his belt, Skyy is looking much more like the player we drafted. 

For this season, Rice is at best 4th on the food chain. MVS and Skyy are 1A and 1B until Toney gets back. WR3 is Justin Watson, the pick-and-block guy. Then it's between Richie James, Rice, and Justyn Ross. It could shake out several different ways and injuries always play a part.

For 2025 and beyond, things look much better. KT has been fragile and Richie James is a complimentary player. Skyy Moore and Rashee Rice look to be the main pair in 2024 and 2025. That's when the rookie contract expires.

I think Rice is light years ahead of where Moore was in terms of route running and understanding.  I think especially with Mr. Glass labeled as our defacto #1, we’ll see all these guys. I also think there’s going to be plays for Ross.  He’s the obvious MVS replacement for next year at a savings of 11m dollars.

On 8/20/2023 at 11:21 PM, EMAW_KSU said:

I think Rice is light years ahead of where Moore was in terms of route running and understanding.  I think especially with Mr. Glass labeled as our defacto #1, we’ll see all these guys. I also think there’s going to be plays for Ross.  He’s the obvious MVS replacement for next year at a savings of 11m dollars.

Clearly better, yes. Lightyears is overstating it. 

Rather than MVS, he should be more in the Juju mold. The thing to like is the yards after catch. 

34 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Agreed, his growth just makes it that much easier to move in from MVS next year and save Cap.

I saw one of the talking heads compare Ross to AJ Green, pretty good comparison imo. Of course we still have to see him get to that level but the physical comparison I can definitely see 

3 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I saw one of the talking heads compare Ross to AJ Green, pretty good comparison imo. Of course we still have to see him get to that level but the physical comparison I can definitely see 

Elite players tend to be unique, but that one is better than usual. Everyone knew that Ross was a 1st round talent, like AJ Green and several others. Now that he is for-real healthy they can probably get a 2nd in trade if they are willing to let him go. We could probably have gotten Trey Lance for him and the 49'ers would be crowing about the deal.

The big four will be MVS, Skyy, KT when he gets back, and Watson, with Richie James filling in wherever there is a gap. Next season expect MVS to be gone, Skyy to be the undisputed #1 and the WR2 slot hotly debated between KT, Rice, and Ross. Watson may or may not be back as the blocker and glue guy. I suspect Rice can block very well if motivated. A foursome of Rice, Ross, Morris, and Toney ought to scare the **** out of DCs, but that's next year.