Training Camp and Preseason

onejayhawk

I honestly don't understand why we are bad at short yardage. It made sense a few years back when we had good OTs in Fisher and Schwartz, but our interior was mediocre at best. But then we added Thuney/Creed/Smith. But sure, fine, CEH wasn't exactly a bruiser. But it was working great with Burton, in 2021. Now? With Pacheco running behind that interior, we should absolutely be able to win consistently with predictable plays on short yardage. But last year we were bad at getting 1 yard with Burton, we were bad at getting 1 yard with Pacheco, and we were bad at getting 1 yard with Bell, and I kind of don't get it. Sometimes we do get too cute, but FB dive is the opposite of cute and we were trash at that play last year.

28 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I honestly don't understand why we are bad at short yardage. It made sense a few years back when we had good OTs in Fisher and Schwartz, but our interior was mediocre at best. But then we added Thuney/Creed/Smith. But sure, fine, CEH wasn't exactly a bruiser. But it was working great with Burton, in 2021. Now? With Pacheco running behind that interior, we should absolutely be able to win consistently with predictable plays on short yardage. But last year we were bad at getting 1 yard with Burton, we were bad at getting 1 yard with Pacheco, and we were bad at getting 1 yard with Bell, and I kind of don't get it. Sometimes we do get too cute, but FB dive is the opposite of cute and we were trash at that play last year.

I honestly blame the play calls. Sure, the players should execute. But the play calls for short yardage have become way too predictable and just plain booty.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:59 PM, onejayhawk said:

That's why everyone was drooling over him five years ago. Imagine if you run his career backward, dings and injuries for three years, and then a monster senior season climaxed by two otherworldly playoff games and a national title. He would go top 10 if not top 5. The way it happened, he's better than that.

That said, is he ready for primetime or is there still a big learning curve?

Huge learning curve, and just like Jody Fortson I expect to see him sparingly 

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The QB sneak isn’t in the arsenal, which hurts us in a big way. We run a lot of shotgun, which put you at a severe disadvantage in short yardage. The FB draw became super predictable because of its success in 2021. The TE Draw doesn’t work because Mahomes doesn’t block for it.  Basically we’re super predictable, and Pacheco doesn’t have quite the power to drag 3-5 guys across the goal line when they predictably run blitz us on short yardage.

Yeah our line, for as good as they are,   doesn’t really create much of a push when the D run blitzes.   And none of our RB’s are good at squeezing through a small gap,  nor capable of driving forward.       Tbh,  I’m not sure we ever have been under Reid..  It might actually be where we miss Tyreek the most,   Man he would take 2-3 guys with him just on the jet sweep fakes.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Huge learning curve, and just like Jody Fortson I expect to see him sparingly 

Poor comparison. Fortson is an overachiever with marginal athleticism who remodeled his body and learned a new position. None of that applies to Ross except the determination to do what was necessary. Also, Ross has a year in the system.

8 hours ago, RedGold said:

Yeah our line, for as good as they are,   doesn’t really create much of a push when the D run blitzes.   And none of our RB’s are good at squeezing through a small gap,  nor capable of driving forward.       Tbh,  I’m not sure we ever have been under Reid..  It might actually be where we miss Tyreek the most,   Man he would take 2-3 guys with him just on the jet sweep fakes.  

In Chiefs history we never really had a guy like that.  Maybe Larry Johnson?

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

In Chiefs history we never really had a guy like that.  Maybe Larry Johnson?

Holmes was excellent at it.  Not necessarily power,  just finding that small crease and picking it up.   Hunt was excellent as well, combined with his leg drive.

Pacheco has the power, but his feet aren’t quick enough to get away from the penetration, hoping that improves… or hell just hoping for an improved 3 and short running game in general 

12 hours ago, RedGold said:

Holmes was excellent at it.  Not necessarily power,  just finding that small crease and picking it up.   Hunt was excellent as well, combined with his leg drive.

Pacheco has the power, but his feet aren’t quick enough to get away from the penetration, hoping that improves… or hell just hoping for an improved 3 and short running game in general 

I’m talkin pure power player, not just crease or jump over the line. Hunt could do it I guess. Wish we could’ve seen more of him.